Steam for Linux Beta Now Available

Colin McGregor

I do recall hearing that they were initially targeting it primarily at Ubuntu users.

its smart to target the noobs and let others like Gentoo users that already know how to use Linux to install on their own.

Noir Angel

its smart to target the noobs and let others like Gentoo users that already know how to use Linux to install on their own.

No, I think they were doing it because Ubuntu is the most popular distribution.

• 2 weeks later...
codygman

Sorry that I was gone so long, but it took a while to test everything and create a good, reliable guide for installing the current Steam for Linux beta on Debian 7.

Backporting multiarch

The reason that Ubuntu 12.04 has a later version of multiarch than Debian 7 is because multiarch is directly tied to the version of libc installed on the system. Debian 7 will ship with libc 2.13 while Ubuntu 12.04 shipped with libc 2.15. While it is extremely unlikely that Steam relies on anything in libc 2.15 that is not also in 2.13, since Steam is closed-source no one outside of Valve can recompile it from source against libc 2.13. Therefore our only alternative to get Steam running on Debian 7 is to upgrade Debian's libc to 2.15. Follow the instructions below to compile Ubuntu 12.04's libc for Debian 7.

# Install build dependencies for multiarch-support.
sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts
sudo apt-get build-dep multiarch-support

# Create a build directory for the package.
mkdir ~/multiarch-backport
pushd ~/multiarch-backport

# Download the multiarch-support source package from the Ubuntu 12.04 repository.
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/e/eglibc/eglibc_2.15-0ubuntu10.2.dsc
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/e/eglibc/eglibc_2.15.orig.tar.gz
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/e/eglibc/eglibc_2.15-0ubuntu10.2.diff.gz

# Extract and build the Debianized source. (This may take a while... be patient.)
dpkg-source -x eglibc_2.15-0ubuntu10.2.dsc
cd eglibc-2.15
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
cd ..
rm -rf eglibc-2.15

# Install the packages you compiled.
sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i libc6_2.15-*.deb libc6-dev_2.15-*.deb libc6-i386_2.15-*.deb libc6-dev-i386_2.15-*.deb libc-bin_2.15-*.deb libc-dev-bin_2.15-*.deb multiarch-support_2.15-*.deb nscd_2.15-*.deb

# Move out of the build directory and (optionally) delete it if you don't want to keep the packages.
popd
rm -rf ~/multiarch-backport
[/CODE]

[b]Installing Steam[/b]

Once you have your version of multiarch upgraded to 2.15, installing Steam is relatively easy. All other dependencies can be satisfied directly from the official Debian repository. However, you cannot install the Steam package directly using dpkg unless you already have all dependencies installed from the repository, which is unlikely. Instead, use the following procedure (assuming that the Steam package is located in the current directory and named [i]steam.deb[/i]).

[CODE]
sudo apt-get install gdebi
sudo gdebi -n steam.deb
[/CODE]

After copy/pasting all instructions my system hangs at:

[CODE]
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cody/multiarch-backport/eglibc-2.15/build-tree/amd64-libc
[/CODE]

My system shouldn't take more than a few hours at most, I left it on all night.

[CODE]

cody@debian-wheezy:~$ uname -a
Linux debian-wheezy 3.2.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 23 02:45:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
cody@debian-wheezy:~$ grep -c ^processor /proc/cpuinfo
cody@debian-wheezy:~$ free -h
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 7.7G 7.1G 670M 0B 362M 4.5G
-/+ buffers/cache: 2.2G 5.5G
Swap: 3.3G 0B 3.3G
[/CODE]

Thanks!

Karl L.

codygman, libc is a very important and widely used package in Debian. Your build could freeze for any number of reasons. If possible, I recommend that you try compiling it in a clean chroot, which is the offical method for compiling packages anyway. Since I did not compile mine in a clean environment and it is such an important package, I'm not going to post my binary. However, let me know if you run into further problems and I'll try to backport it the right way so I can post my binaries.

Karl L.

As an alternative to the method I posted above for installing Steam on Debian, I built Ubuntu 12.04's libc 2.15 for Debian 7 AMD64 in a clean chroot and uploaded my unsigned binaries so you can install them instead of building it yourself (so long as you have a 64-bit Debian system). Just follow the instructions below to upgrade Debian 7's libc from 2.13 to 2.15 and install Steam.

# Download my libc tarball and the latest Steam beta package.
wget https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62647756/multiarch-support/eglibc_2.15-0ubuntu10.3_wheezy_deb.tar.lzma
wget http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb

# Extract and install the libc packages.
tar -xJf eglibc_2.15-0ubuntu10.3_wheezy_deb.tar.lzma
pushd eglibc_2.15-0ubuntu10.3_wheezy_deb
sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i libc6_2.15-*.deb libc6-dev_2.15-*.deb libc6-i386_2.15-*.deb libc6-dev-i386_2.15-*.deb libc-bin_2.15-*.deb libc-dev-bin_2.15-*.deb multiarch-support_2.15-*.deb nscd_2.15-*.deb
popd
rm -rf eglibc_2.15-0ubuntu10.3_wheezy_deb

# Install the Steam package.
sudo apt-get install gdebi
sudo gdebi -n steam.deb
[/CODE]

• 2 weeks later...
+Majesticmerc

Got my invite today. I was quite surprised given that I'm running Arch Linux, which I thought would have been low on the list given it's high configurability. I was also pleasently surprised to see that I have 20 games available to me already, although the 12GB TF2 download is monstrous :p

Karl L.

I just got my invite today too! I guess they just sent out another batch of them. (Apparently they decided to invite Debian and Arch users too, although the beta is still officially only for Ubuntu. I can't wait to play TF2 in Debian!)

BoneyardBrew

Got my invite today. I was quite surprised given that I'm running Arch Linux, which I thought would have been low on the list given it's high configurability. I was also pleasently surprised to see that I have 20 games available to me already, although the 12GB TF2 download is monstrous :p

I just got my invite today too! I guess they just sent out another batch of them. (Apparently they decided to invite Debian and Arch users too, although the beta is still officially only for Ubuntu. I can't wait to play TF2 in Debian!)

Do they email you if you've been accepted or is it done via a pop-up in the client?

Nothing Here

People who are on x64 Linux systems, only help I can offer is to say install an x86 version of your distro and enable the PAE kernel. This way your system is capatible and you have access to all your ram.

Do they email you if you've been accepted or is it done via a pop-up in the client?

They were suppossed to email people. But at the time, they only wanted people on Ubuntu.

ViperAFK

I had no problem installing it on 64 bit ubuntu.

Got my invite today, installed it on my laptop. I'll have to get around to getting a dual boot going on my gaming desktop eventually to test it there. Its nice having it on my laptop even though I don't really play much games on it, because I can have my friends list up and not miss game invites :)

BoneyardBrew

They were suppossed to email people. But at the time, they only wanted people on Ubuntu.

Alright, thanks. I only signed up recently and wasn't sure how they were contacting people. I know most times when games/software are concerned it's done with a popup on Steam. I'd get emails sometimes and other times I wouldn't.

Karl L.

I can also attest that Valve emailed me to inform me of my acceptance into the beta. Also, I have no problems running Steam on the AMD64 port of Debian using a variation of the method I posted earlier in this thread. Arch users should have no problems with anything but packaging (even on AMD64), I suspect.

• 2 months later...
Chasethebase

Closed thread, official topic on final release is here

I note there were two posts from recently asking for help, they're now in that thread.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LoneWolfSL
      Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond multiplayer gameplay shown off
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Respawn Entertainment showcased the multiplayer gameplay of Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond for the first time today. The virtual reality title had so far only received single-player campaign gameplay. Catch the new action-packed multiplayer trailer above.

Above and Beyond players will have five multiplayer modes to play around in at launch, them being Team Deathmatch, Deathmatch, Domination, Mad Bomber, and Blast Radius. Mad Bomber seems to be a spin on the standard bomb plant game modes seen in other shooters, while Blast Radius is described as King of the Hill but with rocket launchers. All of these modes get some time in the spotlight in the trailer above.

While the number of maps included was not confirmed today, Respawn said players will be fighting in "sites across Europe." Multiplayer matches will have up to 12 players, with both human and AI opponents being supported. Players will also need to learn how each weapon handles and their unique reloading mechanisms to become proficient at battling opponents.

Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond is releasing on December 11 across the Oculus Store and Steam. Fans will be happy to know that cross-play between the two stores will be enabled, letting players from both platforms join each other in multiplayer sessions.

• By zikalify
      The GNOME project launches Circle dev programme
      by Paul Hill

The GNOME project has announced the launch of GNOME Circle, a new initiative that it hopes will widen its developer outreach. Developers that build on the GNOME platform and make their software open-source will be able to join GNOME Circle and have access to several benefits.

By becoming a part of the GNOME Circle, developers will receive promotion and advertising for their programs so that they can reach a wider audience. Developers also qualify for GNOME Foundation membership which gives access to travel, marketing funds, and services including an @gnome.org email address, blog hosting, video conferencing, and a gnome.org Nextcloud account.

To be a part of the GNOME project in the past projects needed to be hosted on GNOME infrastructure and follow GNOME’s development rules. These rules were a barrier for entry for developers that were focused on their own personal projects and by launching Circle, it should be easier for developers to become more involved with the GNOME platform.

Under the new rules, the software must be open-source and use the GNOME platform. Developers of both programs and libraries can apply to join and don’t need to host their software on GNOME infrastructure nor do they have to follow the GNOME release cycle.

Commenting on GNOME Circle, GNOME Foundation Executive Director Neil McGovern said:

To learn more about GNOME Circle be sure to head over the project’s webpage. If you are a developer that’s interested in joining Circle, you’ll have to fill in a simple application form.

• By Usama Jawad96
      How to refund games on Steam
      by Usama Jawad

Holiday sales across gaming platforms on PC and consoles are in full swing and many gamers are using their savings to capitalize on this by buying their favorite titles at discounted prices. While you would hope that once you purchase a game, you can quickly download it, fire it up, and play it without any issues, but sometimes things can go a bit awry.

The game might not be in a playable state, have too many bugs, or simply might not be as fun as you expected it to be. There's also the chance that when buying dozens of games during the sale, you skimmed over the technical requirements section and didn't notice that your rig isn't powerful enough to run the game optimally. In cases like these, the easiest way out is to quickly get a refund. In this piece, I will walk you through the refund process on Steam.

Step 1: Navigate the Steam client
      Valve's own FAQ for the refund process requires you to login to their support webpage but quite frankly, I find that method cumbersome. Why not use the Steam client itself when you have it installed on your PC? Of course, if you don't have it installed, then it's understandable to visit the website. However, for the purpose of this article, I will assume that you do have it installed to make the process more streamlined.

Now that you have fired up the Steam client, find the game you want to refund in the left panel and click on it. This will open a dedicated section for the problematic game on your screen. Click the "Support" button on the main options bar for the title. This will take you to a new support page and the second step of this process.

Step 2: Filling in the details
      On the Support page, the Steam client will show you a list of options that you can choose from to indicate what kind of problem you are having with the game in question, as shown above. With respect to requesting refunds, only the following options are valid:

It's now available cheaper Gameplay or technical issue It's not what I expected For other options, Steam informs you that it can't help out and requests you to get in touch with relevant parties such as key sellers and developers.

Clicking on any of the three valid options mentioned earlier takes you to a submenu asking you further questions. For the purpose of this guide, I clicked on "Gameplay or technical issue", which took me to the submenu shown above. Here I clicked on "The game runs poorly".

This took to me to another page providing me a couple of options as can be seen above. Depending upon the prior options you selected, you might see different alternatives on this page. Here, Valve typically recommends you some options to resolve problems with your game such as getting in touch with the game's developer. However, you can choose to forego all the other options and directly click on "I'd like to request a refund".

Step 3: Requesting a refund
      Selecting "I'd like to request a refund" will take you to the final page which will require input from your side. Knowing the details of this step is important. Valve typically issues refunds only for games that have less than two hours of playtime and have been purchased less than 14 days ago. If you do not fulfill these qualifications, Valve may still offer you a refund, but the chances of that happening are very slim. Personally, I have tried this a couple of times with detailed reasoning, but Valve has never issued a refund to me on games that have more than two hours of play time or were purchased more than 14 days ago.

Speaking of "detailed reasoning", the "Notes" section is where you can fill that in. However, I've found that a one-line explainer like "it's not that good" works as well. Furthermore, you can choose where the refund amount will go: it can either go to the original payment method or your Steam Wallet. If you plan to spend it on Steam again, I highly recommend going for the second option since it doesn't involve other parties and is much quicker.

Furthermore, another thing to remember is that games you got via promotional keys - such as those offered by the developer - cannot be refunded. The refund amount depends upon the price you purchased a title at, not it's current value. Lastly, you can refund games that you received as a gift but the monetary value will be returned to the person who gifted you those titles, not to your account. If you're fine with all of these things, click on "Submit request".

Step 4: The wait
      Now all you have to do is wait for Valve to approve your refund request. Provided that you fulfill all of their requirements related to playtime and ownership, refunds are usually granted by the company. In my case, I've noticed that these requests are generally approved within a couple of hours.

Valve says that it may take up to seven days for funds to appear on your account, but for Steam Wallet funds, it only takes a couple of days at maximum in my personal experience. For international payment methods which involve your bank, this process may take more than seven days. In case it does, Valve recommends that you reach out to your bank and inquire details from them.

Provided that everything goes smoothly, your refund request will be approved and completed within a couple of days. However, if for someone reason, your request gets declined and you want to contest that decision, Valve suggests that you issue a new request so another agent can have a look at it.

Last but not the least, Valve does not limit the number of refund requests you make but if it thinks that you're abusing the option, it may place restrictions on your account. In my case, I once bought nearly 15 games and then had a few of them refunded as I played them one by one and realized that I didn't enjoy all of them. At that time, Valve did caution me via email to use the refund option carefully based on the high number of requests coming from my account.

With that said, use this option wisely and happy gaming!

• By LoneWolfSL
      Steam Autumn Sale is now live alongside the 2020 Steam Awards nominations
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

The yearly Steam Autumn Sale has opened its doors once again, offering discounts on more games than anyone could possibly browse through. Once again, the sale is accompanied by The Steam Awards event, letting PC gamers vote for games they deem worthy of receiving nominations for a number of awards.

Considering the sale just kicked off, and as expected of every major event, the store is having a hard time opening and displaying correct pricing right now, but it should be solved shortly. Some of the highlights Valve is promoting on the first day include sales for hits such as Fall Guys, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Doom Eternal, and Death Stranding, among many others.

Keep in mind that sale prices remain static during the entire event and the front page only showcases different items every day.

As for The Steam Awards nominations, users will find standard categories they may vote for such as Game of the Year, Visual Style, Soundtrack, and Innovative Gameplay, as well as more entertaining ones like 'Best Game You Stuck At', and 'Better With Friends'. Those who participate in the nomination procedures get some bonuses too, with Valve offering Steam profile badges for completing tasks.

The Steam Autumn Sale will keep its discounts running through December 1. Meanwhile, the elected Steam Awards nominees will see the light of day during Valve's next major sale event in December, the Steam Winter Sale, with a final popular vote happening to decide the winners.

• By Namerah S
      Metro Exodus announced for the PS5 and Xbox series X|S
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Amidst celebrations of the tenth anniversary of its first-person shooter franchise, 4A Games has announced that Metro Exodus will be landing on the next-generation of consoles. In addition to the newly revealed console variants, the video game developer also stated that Linux and macOS versions of the game are also in the works.

While no exact details were provided, the game's makers did confirm free next-gen upgrades as have become the industry norm. Faster frame rates, better resolution, quicker loading times, and other enhanced features such as ray tracing were also detailed for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S variants of Metro Exodus.

4A Games further revealed that the next game in the Metro series is already under development. The Ukrainian-Maltese video game developer commented:

While the game dev did confirm its commitment to creating a 'story driven single player experience' for the next instalment in the franchise, it also mentioned the existence of a multiplayer mode. As the upcoming Metro title is still in the early phase of production, no concrete decisions about the two game modes have been made yet.

For now, we'll have to sit tight and wait for further details to be shared by the creators of Metro Exodus on all fronts. No release date for the next-gen version of the third Metro game or its Linux and macOS variants has been disclosed yet.