Rooting Nexus 7

Well i got my 32GB Nexus 7 this week and im wanting to Root it so i can use USB drives i know you can do it without rooting but it's only one way so i was wondering what's the best method/application to use?

thanks!

It might take a little while to show up, usually if you install an app or two from the device itself it'll show up. Give it a bit of time and it'll appear.

• 2 weeks later...

I found pi it I have too root my nexus 7 in order too use the Sioux axius app but I can't figure out how to do it, what itb uhs, and if it will mess up my device

Stupid typing in 4.2 is ridiculous. Doing this from my computer.Does rooting hurt your device sort of like jailbreaking? I have no idea how to do it, what it does, or anything. I want to used the sax axis app but I need to be "rooted".

OK I followed some instructions somewhere and I am tryinging Nexus Rootkit Tool. When I try to install the driver, I get a window with xx as the title and e000022f inside it.

Usually any information about rooting and stuff can be found at XDA, on some cases rooting requires unlocked bootloader, on some cases not. unlocking bootloaders nowadays means warranty void... but if your device hasn't been failing in quite a hwile, it will probably wont fail another good chunk of time anyway. Root is very convenient indeed...

I'll try that one and report back. Everyone one I've tried has had some part that has NOT gone as described in the tutorial.

the only problem I had was installing the USB driver on my computer using the automatic method (though they may have improved that since the Nexus 7 was released) the manual method worked fine though and everything else went smoothly

Does rooting my device erase everything? Is it even worth the trouble?

rooting, no. but in order to root the device you have to unlock it, which will reset it to factory defaults

and I'd say it's worth it, i've been able to get a lot more power and battery life (especially this) but installing a custom rom on my Nexus 7 (I'd recommend checking out AOKP [their main site is down right now due to being hacked]), and the forms of backup that rooting your device allows such as this https://play.google....ture=nav_result makes it worth it as well IMO

Aboslutely none of the guides for my Nexus 7 with 4.2 on will work. I've tried the driver installation and it fails and now my computer won't recognize my tablet as a Nexus 7 or anything else.

Aboslutely none of the guides for my Nexus 7 with 4.2 on will work. I've tried the driver installation and it fails and now my computer won't recognize my tablet as a Nexus 7 or anything else.

oh, you're on 4.2 already

it just came out so that's probably what your problem is, wait a couple weeks and the methods should be updated to accommodate

Oh 4,2 may be the problem? I've followed every tutorial I could find including ones for 4.2 and none of them do what they say they'll do. For instance, when I run "SDK Manager" in one of the tutorials, instead of it fetching packages like the tutorial says, I just see a quick black CMD window open and then nothing happens. Everything ins so screwed up now that wehn I plug in the Nexus 7, WIndows 8 doesn't even recognize it as a nexus 7 (or anything at all).

Well absolutely no tutorials for rooting Nexus 7 Android 4.2 worked. It took me half the night just to get Windows to recognize the Nexus 7 as a tablet device again. I have no clue what rooting does for me and I am only trying to do it so that Sax Xis controller app would work. I apparently had to install some special USB driver for the Nexus and that failed.

I would l certainly like to backup and restore but the whole process of rooting seems complicated and I tried maybe 6-7 tutorials, none of which worked like they said they would. Maybe I need to wait for more tutorials to come out but some of them where already for 4.2