Me.ga Suspended, Dotcom Says "We Have Alternative Domain"

Kim Dotcom?s plan of launching a ?bigger, better, faster, stronger, safer? Megaupload successor, Mega, is already in peril as Gabon's government has suspended the domain www.me.ga.

Announcing his decision, Gabon?s Communication Minister Blaise Louembe said "I have instructed my departments...to immediately suspend the site www.me.ga" in a bid to "protect intellectual property rights" and "fight cyber crime effectively" notes AFP.

"Gabon cannot serve as a platform or screen for committing acts aimed at violating copyrights, nor be used by unscrupulous people," the minister added.

Dotcom unveiled his plans of using the me.ga domain name last week along with an announcement that the new site will be launching on January 20, 2013. Louembe revealed that me.ga was being held by someone in France and that it was then transferred to Dotcom. Currently the domain is getting redirected to some twitter account.

Dotcom didn?t stay silent following the suspension and has tweeted that he is in possession on an alternative domain name and that the recent suspension ?demonstrates the bad faith witch hunt the US government is on.?

http://paritynews.com/web-news/item/467-mega-suspended-dotcom-says-we-have-alternative-domain

Announcing his decision, Gabon?s Communication Minister Blaise Louembe said "I have instructed my departments...to immediately suspend the site www.me.ga" in a bid to "protect intellectual property rights" and "fight cyber crime effectively" notes AFP.

Good Sir, what you did should be illegal.

You basically put punishment before conviction or the actual crime even.

Quite frankly, I think he's just being a lapdog here, but really, man...

What a jerk.

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 2

What a jerk.

To revoke a domain name which they have the right to should be illegal?

• Like 1

I think you might find that the US trade embargo on a country like Gagon would be straight up impossible for them to weather.

Life is hard enough in Africa without ****ing off the people providing your country aid.

They had no choice :\

It was mostly a stinger.

But in reality, it's basically attempting censorship, at least that's the motivation.

Of course you can't prosecute them for that.

Why should it be ok to revoke a name just because the owner is in court and wants to restart a business? Im pretty sure there are alot worse websites out there with much worse names that are ok and the US do not bother with.

Why should it be ok to revoke a name just because the owner is in court and wants to restart a business? Im pretty sure there are alot worse websites out there with much worse names that are ok and the US do not bother with.

The Gabon government think he'll violate copyright law with the domain and so they've revoked it. The US does this sort of thing all the time.

It's a little peculiar that the telecom that revoked the domain is owned by the Vivendi entertainment group but still..

The Gabon government think he'll violate copyright law with the domain and so they've revoked it. The US does this sort of thing all the time.

It's a little peculiar that the telecom that revoked the domain is owned by the Vivendi entertainment group but still..

America thinks its easy to manage a file hosting site and say every filehosting website is bad and used for copyrighted material even though there are legit people using it for personal and for work, we all read the stories that said many legit companies used megaupload and even some US government agencies did too. Yet because "some" used it for copyrighted material then they must be shut down and even then America didnt do it legally did they, so they are just as bad for not following the rules themself's.

If america think its so easy to manage a filehosting website with everyone in the world using it then, please let them try and i shall laugh when they fail they have enough trouble trying to deal with the people in there own country yet say filehosters should be able to manage the world? Sorry but thats an impossible task and america should sort out there own more dangerous criminals before going for the easy ones that are over seas because thats all they are doing in there fight against piracy going for the easy ones they have addresses for. Dotcom is just a filehoster, where are all the people that are uploading the files? Oh yes they are still at there home wherever they are in the world STILL uploading copyrighted material onto other websites so what have america achieved? One less file hoster in the world, but the pirating is still going on adn will continue because we have the internet with many means of sharing information.

What a jerk.

it wasn't really a punishment cause it was clear what he was planning to do with it

It was mostly a stinger.

But in reality, it's basically attempting censorship, at least that's the motivation.

Of course you can't prosecute them for that.

and it wasn't really censorship either.

it wasn't really a punishment cause it was clear what he was planning to do with it

Y'know... Filelocker sites aren't illegal, so what does it matter that he was going to open another one? He's not responsible for what people might upload to it. He just has to take down content when its reported and verified as illegal.

• Like 2

Y'know... Filelocker sites aren't illegal, so what does it matter that he was going to open another one? He's not responsible for what people might upload to it. He just has to take down content when its reported and verified as illegal.

But the thing was he knew fine well what people were using his last filelocker site for and he did very little to stop it and in fact i think he even encouraged it at some point.

This guy quickly became boring, i had to unfollow him on Twitter because of his constant ramblings about the US... he is a complete show boater, i had to laugh when they suspended his domain.

But the thing was he knew fine well what people were using his last filelocker site for and he did very little to stop it and in fact i think he even encouraged it at some point.

Only alleged, by the RIAA/MPAA and the government agencies they own. Who had to use illegal methods to shut him down, because they can't prove it.

So really, there's no actual hard evidence he really did any of that. It's just a witch hunt.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty horrible how they could suspend the domain even before the launch. Suspend on legal grounds, not because of Megaupload, which is a case that hasn't even seen a resolution yet.

• Like 1

Agreed its another case of countrie sucking up the arse of the USA

the UK is one of the worst for it, the USA say jump and the Countires ask how high

• Like 1

Somehow I get the distinct impression that "the land of the free" has their hand in this. Perhaps he ought to get in contact with the government of Ecuador, they seem to be pretty keen on people that p*** the yanks off :laugh:

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that if Me.ga is so bad and its not even been used then why is a hacking group allowed to use the .GA domain? They hack peronsal files, crack applications and all sorts. I also just read this where america says we lose the right to our content because we used a cloud based storage, i love how they are deciding the internet laws for the world during this case and i would love to know if they had a right to browse the data they seized without permission from the owners or a court. To me they are just making things worse with the case and themselfs by trying to say they govern the internet for us all.

In the end of October, the EFF, representing Kyle Goodwin, has filed a brief to ask for a court of law to scrutinize the decision of the US authorities to close down one of the major cyberlockers and, which is more important, the denial of 3rd parties to recover their lost content.

Despite the fact that MegaUpload is already dead and buried, its founder Kim Dotcom has promised to relaunch the portal under a new domain, and with extra features. The US Department of Justice commented that this move will be considered as a violation of Dotcom?s bail terms. In the meantime, Dotcom announced that the new website will be simply called Me.ga, moving from .com and .net domains for apparent reason. The site is expected to be launched on January the 20th, 2013.

Dotcom admitted that they cannot work with hosting companies located in the US, because safe harbor for ISPs via the DMCA has been undermined by the Department of Justice with its criminal prosecution of the cyberlocker.

In response to the EFF?s brief, the government of the United States also filed a brief, where it asked for 3rd parties to travel far away to recover the lost information. In addition, the government confirmed that it browsed the seized files, including Kyle Goodwin?s personal data.

It is still not clear whether the search in question was authorized or not, but the fact is that the US authorities could return the seized content to its rightful owners just as easily as they violated it. In addition, the American government pointed out that Kyle?s rights vanished when he opted for cloud-based services. The reason for this claim is the following: the contract between the user and the cyberlocker, as well as the contract between MegaUpload and its hosting company Carpathia, has limited any property interest he might have in his files. It means that cloud-based services aren?t able to protect data against losses, particularly if the authorities come in with a warrant. In the meantime, industry observers wonder whether this theory applies to services like Amazon?s S3, Apple?s iCloud and Google Apps as well.

Anyway, the worrying part is that such tactics call for action ? for instance, the Electronic Frontier Foundation is trying to do this by filing the brief. Let?s see what kind of response it will get.

I don't get why people defend this guy. He is nothing but a scumbag and has been his entire life. Just read about him on Wikipedia and you'll see he has been taking advantage of others and making millions while doing so. If you need a filesharing service just use Skydrive or one of the dozens of others run by reputable companies.

• Like 2

Im not defending him, but the file sharing business as a hole, since mega got attacked alot of others have been attacked and hit hard and alot have since closed down. As for other sites yes there are others but all it seems to take is "they host copyrighted material, they need to be closed down..." and before you know it they are finding it hard to survive, what the US are trying to do is govern the internet and set rules that work only in there favior especially with this matter. If you read the article i posted it said they had gone though the seized data and it was unclear if they had a right to do so as they say you lose your rights soon as you upload to the cloud which is not right imo. Besides i still dont think its right they are holding onto the data, like i said alot of people used it for legit reasons and the way this case is being dealt with is completely wrong. Sorry things dont make sense in this post im falling asleep.

• Like 1