Samsung bumps up the price of Apple

Only according to one judge. Most of the others have thrown their cases out of court ;)

Well whatever, but you see this from people all the time business is business and you cant expect Apple, Microsoft or whoever to just let the competition rip them off just becuase they supply them wish screens or something.

Everyone here is missing a huge point. Apple sued the Product side of Samsung. The parts/R&D side of Samsung may as well be a separate company (and probably is for accounting standards).

The two parts may be owned by the same organization, but they operate differently and on different budgets etc.

• Like 3

Everyone here is missing a huge point. Apple sued the Product side of Samsung. The parts/R&D side of Samsung may as well be a separate company (and probably is for accounting standards).

The two parts may be owned by the same organization, but they operate differently and on different budgets etc.

Apple sued Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. It is a subsidiary company of Samsung Group that controls both smartphone design and display manufacturing (among numerous other things - it is a truly vertically integrated company, the only of its kind in the world). Of course, the display division, smartphone division and the semiconductor division operate independently, but they share a common hierarchy.

Things would be different if Samsung Electronics and Samsung Semiconductor were two different subsidiaries of Samsung Group, as I assume you were implying.

I mean this is pathetic, fan boys like you drive me up the wall. Apple sued Samsung becuase they copied there design patents you cant just expect a company weather they use the offending companys products to lie down and let other companies rip you off.

If Samsung want to play hard ball i am sure they will come off worse in the end.

Yes, because Apple was the ONLY COMPANY EVER to use rounded corners... Seriously, no offense, but these patents were just laughable. They should never have even been awarded. Some of them had MOUNTAINS of prior art. And this is only going to get worse with the changes the Obama Administration has made to the Patent system (Just another thing they don't understand).

And Apple deserves what they get if their arrogance made them stupid enough to think that they would be able to sue such an important supplier without any repercussions. They cannot go somewhere else. It is not that easy. Apple should have known that. They deserve what they get. I have no problem defending legitimate patents, but Apple was using ridiculous patents as a means to keep competition out of the market, and that was all.

There's no doubt that the share of Samsung displays in iDevices has gone down over the years. If you read the article above, it suggests that once again it is Samsung cutting supply than Apple dropping them.

For the screens, I think that has all but been proven. Samsung has had to turn away HTC in the past as well because they just could not make enough SAMOLED screens (At the time) for them and everyone else that wanted them.

Apple sued Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. It is a subsidiary company of Samsung Group that controls both smartphone design and display manufacturing (among numerous other things - it is a truly vertically integrated company, the only of its kind in the world). Of course, the display division, smartphone division and the semiconductor division operate independently, but they share a common hierarchy.

Things would be different if Samsung Electronics and Samsung Semiconductor were two different subsidiaries of Samsung Group, as I assume you were implying.

Yes, and Samsung Group Literally controls South Korea. So Apple is going up against a Country this time around.

Yes, because Apple was the ONLY COMPANY EVER to use rounded corners... Seriously, no offense, but these patents were just laughable. They should never have even been awarded. Some of them had MOUNTAINS of prior art. And this is only going to get worse with the changes the Obama Administration has made to the Patent system (Just another thing they don't understand).

And Apple deserves what they get if their arrogance made them stupid enough to think that they would be able to sue such an important supplier without any repercussions. They cannot go somewhere else. It is not that easy. Apple should have known that. They deserve what they get. I have no problem defending legitimate patents, but Apple was using ridiculous patents as a means to keep competition out of the market, and that was all.

For the screens, I think that has all but been proven. Samsung has had to turn away HTC in the past as well because they just could not make enough SAMOLED screens (At the time) for them and everyone else that wanted them.

The patents were used to defence in case someone else copied them.

Should those patents be valid? No.

Are those patents stupid? Yes

Did Samsung infringe in those patents? No because they are suppose to be invalid anyway.

Did Samsung copied Apple? Design? Trade Dress? I did say yes.

But is copying against the law....... ? ....... Let the Judge decides.

I mean this is pathetic, fan boys like you drive me up the wall. Apple sued Samsung becuase they copied there design patents you cant just expect a company weather they use the offending companys products to lie down and let other companies rip you off.

If Samsung want to play hard ball i am sure they will come off worse in the end.

Let me guess, you have apple products and are an apple fan boy and because i said im fed up of apple bullying others and im glad they are being charged more because they were "bullying" Samsung and think "other" companies should charge them more too im a fan boy of.... Samsung? Or every other company? You really have not thought this through and just showed your an apple fan boy because you did not like my response, granted im not a huge fan of Apple and probably never will be they have done alot wrong in the past and i dont like how they try and bully other companies because of "who they are" so Rich, what am i a fan boy of? Samsung, none bullies, every company in the world thats not apple what exactly???

Oh guess i should mention my mobile is an old htc wildfire, infact i guess i should turn it on and see what messages i have its been a month so thank you for that reminder and i look forward to hearing what im a fan boy off.

• Like 2

Apple Fan-Boi

ill stop there

Doubt this makes much of a dent in Apple's profits...and not surprised Samsung has done this. With the hold trial BS and rumors of Apple switching companies...of course Samsung will milk Apple for all they can. And it must be somewhere in the contact that allows this or Apple would of sued and not accepted the new terms.

And Apple ditching Samsung really won't hurt them. Lots more phones out there to make components for.

I will just leave this here http://www.neowin.ne...a-for-sale-sign

Apple buying AMD would make no sense at all. It's a waste of money and integration would be too messy. Furthermore, AMD is entrenched with Windows, which they obviously will want no involvement with. So that would mean they pulling out of all that business and giving it up to intel.

The best suitors is either Microsoft or Google at this point given both are looking for a way to expand their hardware presence, especially for mobile. Maybe even Samsung.

It's like watching two children throw sticks and stones at each other, and periodically coming in to cry to their mommy about how much of a bully the other is.

Agreed. It's starting to look pathetic on both sides.

The fact of the matter is Samsung is running at quite a full capacity as it is and it makes a lot of money from it's own products meaning it's chips are worth more per unit than they were. They will put prices up to accommodate this.

How is he a fanboy? He was stating the truth...

Read his member title.

• Like 1

I will just leave this here http://www.neowin.ne...a-for-sale-sign

um....you just have no idea what you are talking about.

AMD spin off their semiconductor manufacturing as GlobalFoundries 3 years ago. Now AMD is fabless.

So you mean Apple buy a fabless company will help their manufacturing?

Why I'm not surprised Apple fanboy posting things they never read.