Backup - External Drive to External Drive

Question

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2bay or 4bay drive enclosure for backup purposes.

Does anyone here know of any apps that allow for incremental backups from one external drive to another external drive?

Basically an app that mimics RAID1.

It would be easier just to get a RAID enclosure and set it to RAID 1 but ive heard if one disk goes down ill lose both disks so im looking for a work around without RAID.

Thanks for the help

6 answers to this question

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2bay or 4bay drive enclosure for backup purposes.

Does anyone here know of any apps that allow for incremental backups from one external drive to another external drive?

Basically an app that mimics RAID1.

It would be easier just to get a RAID enclosure and set it to RAID 1 but ive heard if one disk goes down ill lose both disks so im looking for a work around without RAID.

Thanks for the help

Raid 0 is when you loose everything when 1 out of the 2 disks fail. (Raid 0 means, when 1 drive crashes 0 is what you are left with). Raid 0 is for speed. You split your data onto 2 drives. Each drive contains part of your data. When I say half your data I mean take a file and cut it in half and put one half on one drive and the other half on the other drive. Now imagine what happens when 1 of the 2 drives dies.

Raid 1 on the other hand both drives are mirrored to prevent a complete loss of data should 1 of the 2 drives fail.

raid-level-1.gifraid-level-0.gif

thanks. it seems i was mistaken. RAID1 is exactly what i need then.

I am still curious however if their some apps around that allow external drive - external drive incremental backups.

If so, it could still be a good option seeing as RAID drives are a bit more costly.

Thanks again

thanks. it seems i was mistaken. RAID1 is exactly what i need then.

I am still curious however if their some apps around that allow external drive - external drive incremental backups.

If so, it could still be a good option seeing as RAID drives are a bit more costly.

Thanks again

Depends. Do you want FULL OS mirroring, or just a backup application to scan your data directories and update / add the files which are new or changed? If you just want the files, then almost every backup application can do that..

One I use is syncback SE from www.2brightsparks.com. I have the backup run every morning at 3am.

It also has a feature called Smartsync.

"Ensure your workstation, laptop, and networked computers have the same files. 'Smart Sync' (2-way file sync) does the work."

capturevvv.png

very helpful particularly the screenshots.

Im only looking for a backup application to scan specific folders and update/add the changes so it seems any program will do.

Ill go ahead and try syncback SE.

thanks again

very helpful particularly the screenshots.

Im only looking for a backup application to scan specific folders and update/add the changes so it seems any program will do.

Ill go ahead and try syncback SE.

thanks again

Give the free version a try. I think it will do exactly that.

I actually use a program called Beyond Compare when Im going to sync files from my PC to an external RAID 1+0 that I have. Its simple, full featured and fast. I use Acronis for all my imaging stuff but for files I just breakout BC and it does the job.