Something I just noticed this morning - Win8 Pro

Actually my daughter pointed it out to me. Every time the system is restarted, the network name changes. It changes from Network 1 - Network 4. I personally never noticed it before. because I never even look. But my daughter who is only 10 did. We aren't using wifi and there is only 1 network.

Any ideas on this?

It must be trying to connect to something else. To another router.

Hmm. We don't have a router, just the modem from our ISP. It's always a stable connection. Just the network name changes.

I've only ever seen this happen when using a wireless adapter that has installed itself a couple of times, appends a number at the end for each install and then picks one at random on start up. Not sure if it's possible for this to happen with the built in network port though.

Hmm. We don't have a router, just the modem from our ISP. It's always a stable connection. Just the network name changes.

Ah, then it's probably because as far as windows can see, you ARE on a new network every boot, since you be a new ip, which is not related to the previous one and there's nothing else to identify that you are on the same network since you're connecting directly to the WAN ie the Internet.

Ah, then it's probably because as far as windows can see, you ARE on a new network every boot, since you be a new ip, which is not related to the previous one and there's nothing else to identify that you are on the same network since you're connecting directly to the WAN ie the Internet.

You mean the LAN? Anyways, is it possible to make Windows stop? Or is it not worth the effort since there is no actual issue?

I have a similar issue with an USB headset.

If I change the headset to different USB I would get like "sound (1)", if I change the USB again it would be like "Sound (2)".

Not sure if the network issue would be the same, but are similar ideas.

You mean the LAN? Anyways, is it possible to make Windows stop? Or is it not worth the effort since there is no actual issue?

as said above its just a naming scheme, it doesn't hurt anything

not on my Verizon Quantum Fios wifi connection. only real problem i have is with sleep mode. it sure gives me problems. I'm sure toshiba will get that figured out.

I'll just not worry about it then. I'm just glad I still don't have any issues. *knock on wood* Thanx everyone for replying.

could be that being you are directly connected to the modem, the modem sees a disconnect and reissues a new IP address from the ISP and if it is on a different subnet the computer sees it as a new network?

could be that being you are directly connected to the modem, the modem sees a disconnect and reissues a new IP address from the ISP and if it is on a different subnet the computer sees it as a new network?

Might be.

did u check Device Manager to see if there is a hardware issue causing it? As mentioned above, multiple installations of the same adapter cause Windows to follow a similar naming scheme. I recall my own issue recently which was almost exactly the same as yours. I have USB Port 1 & 2, and my adapter was setup to use port 1, I plugged it into port 2 accidentally, and the result in Device Manager was 2 installations of my WiFi adapter. Windows named them "USB WiFi Adapter" & "USB WiFi Adapter 1". Just a thought....

EDIT:

I forgot to ask as well, did you check the Wireless Networks that might be saved in Windows? It would be found by opening Network & Sharing Center, and click the link in the top left corner, "Manage Wireless Networks". These are the things I would check first.

guest networks?

No, it's been stated, by me and others already, it's because he's connecte riectly to the modem and thus the WAN/Internet. and every time he reboots he IS on a new network.

did u check Device Manager to see if there is a hardware issue causing it? As mentioned above, multiple installations of the same adapter cause Windows to follow a similar naming scheme. I recall my own issue recently which was almost exactly the same as yours. I have USB Port 1 & 2, and my adapter was setup to use port 1, I plugged it into port 2 accidentally, and the result in Device Manager was 2 installations of my WiFi adapter. Windows named them "USB WiFi Adapter" & "USB WiFi Adapter 1". Just a thought....

EDIT:

I forgot to ask as well, did you check the Wireless Networks that might be saved in Windows? It would be found by opening Network & Sharing Center, and click the link in the top left corner, "Manage Wireless Networks". These are the things I would check first.

Am not using wireless at all. Just the onboard ethernet.