Windows 8 sales dissapointing

I can't stand Windows 8. Not because of functionality.. let's say that I could find workarounds around some of the most retarded UI and functionality decisions in this version of Windows, but to be honest it's so butt ugly that I can't look at it. It bothers me so much.

Microsoft has done 2 worst things they could have done. Made Windows super ugly, unintuitive and on top of that are trying to completely lock it down because they have Apple envy and all this not because of users but because of the fact that they are a decade late for mobile and new wave of technology.

But I guess they can do whatever they want. Market and users will vote with their usage not corporate agendas.

This will be a huge flop and worse than Vista.

I do wish you luck. I too like Windows 8. I'm just so use to a start menu that I can't seem to get along well with it. Plus, I hate metro apps. One day I think they may be good and useful, but that is not today.

Ok, got W8 installed again, I never knew the you could "right click" in IE10 metro to pull up the "tabs" menu or what ever they called it, or that I could change the start page using the desktop version internet setting, why didn't they just put it in the metro section as well? The scrollbar disappearing and reappearing is a little annoying, but with some TPL's the new IE might be ok. To bad if I install Firefox, it messes up the metro version of IE, right? Anyone else got any IE10 tricks?

I love usb installs by the way, they are very speedy!

I knew Thurrott is acting like a child because he got snubbed by Microsoft.

this is from Suril Amin

http://www.reddit.co...teven_sinofsky/

The hate Sinofsky because he has not openly given them information about Windows 7 and Windows 8 development and decided to keep more things secret. This last week on Paul Thurrott?s two podcasts he openly admitted he hates Sinofsky because it made it harder for him to write his book. Sinofsky did not give Thurrott internal builds of Windows 8' date=' so he could write his book more easily. Thurrott also believes he is entitled to get information from Microsoft because he writes about Microsoft and helps consumers with technical problems. I am sure many of you remember Thurrott freaking out about Microsoft removing aero glass from Windows even though it was the right decision due to battery life. Well it now turns out that Thurrott was only angry about it because he was forced to re-take screenshots for his book because now there was no aero. Microsoft is a private corporation that can do what it wants and Thurrott is not owed anything. Mary-Jo Foley also said she hates Sinofsky because he had her blacklisted from Microsoft.[/quote']

Should also be noted that Thurrott was snubbed for an early SurfaceRT review and has been slamming it ever since. What a crybaby.

So let me get this straight, Thurrott thinks if he starts putting negative information out, Microsoft will keep him in the loop so he can stop blabbing.

Not everyone was born in this generation dude. You can't expect a 70 year old lady or man to understand something as technologically challenging as Windows 8.

LOL The only thing "challenging" about Win8 is the energy needed to stop being lazy and make some small adjustments, no it's pure laziness that makes people make crazy claims like this

Not everyone was born in this generation dude. You can't expect a 70 year old lady or man to understand something as technologically challenging as Windows 8.

I get your point. However, someone that's older and didn't grow up with computers should find Windows 8 easier as there's huge freaking tiles on the screen clearly labeled with what each tile does. Somewhat along the lines of phones with crazy-huge buttons to dial due to their eyesight. So if anything, the older generation should like Windows 8 MORE because it's ( it should be ) easier for them to use. For them it's leaps and bounds above a DOS prompt or terminal...

I can't stand Windows 8. Not because of functionality.. let's say that I could find workarounds around some of the most retarded UI and functionality decisions in this version of Windows, but to be honest it's so butt ugly that I can't look at it. It bothers me so much.

Microsoft has done 2 worst things they could have done. Made Windows super ugly, unintuitive and on top of that are trying to completely lock it down because they have Apple envy and all this not because of users but because of the fact that they are a decade late for mobile and new wave of technology.

But I guess they can do whatever they want. Market and users will vote with their usage not corporate agendas.

This will be a huge flop and worse than Vista.

Boz everyone on this forum knows that if Windows 8 was released by Google in the exact same form it is right now you'd be calling it amazing, the best thing ever etc.

I get your point. However, someone that's older and didn't grow up with computers should find Windows 8 easier as there's huge freaking tiles on the screen clearly labeled with what each tile does.

You'd think that but once most people get use to doing thing a certain way, they hate change and will actively resist it.

You'd think that but once most people get use to doing thing a certain way, they hate change and will actively resist it.

I agree with you 100%. I should have said "never used" instead of saying "never grown up with". I think Windows 8 would be a great first OS for an older person as far as ease of use and understanding. For maximum protection, I'd pick Linux. There's no way grandma knows sudo. :D

my mum is 73 years old and she has no problems with windows 8, in fact she likes it more than windows 7.

Boz everyone on this forum knows that if Windows 8 was released by Google in the exact same form it is right now you'd be calling it amazing, the best thing ever etc.

LOL.. I've been using for over 25 years now.. and was always supportive of new version as it brought better things.. being objective for some people is not an option.

Windows 8 is terrible and that's a simple fact that everyone sees.. Unlike with Vista, which I actually didn't have problems with, and Windows 7 being absolutely terrific Windows, this new version of Windows 8 and everything Microsoft is doing is completely detached from any understanding of technology and vision. Sorry that many people just can't see that and are blindly defending something that's subpar. Being critical of crap will make Microsoft make a better Windows, defending their disasters does nothing but encourages garbage and mediocrity and destroying what we had for PCs all these decades.

And shane, you said you work for microsoft, you should probably put a disclaimer in your signature letting people know of your bias.

Contractor, and currently unemployed. There was a layoff back in May. My entire team was subject to the layoff.

I'm bored of waiting so I'm looking at other stuff instead of waiting for the callback.

Also my signature is pretty clear and I don't hide where I've worked.

While I do tend to prefer MS products I don't defend stupid decisions. In fact I'm hyper critical usually of everything. It tends to make me unpopular since I don't mince words and don't like office politics.

I will flat out tell someone that an idea is stupid or that they are wasting my time. I don't care about popularity, but results.

On the other side I'm also the guy there all night taking naps on a futon and working my ass off to ensure that the customer and my coworkers get my best. I don't believe in anything less brutal honesty and giving my all.

I will never claim to give 110% because the people who claim that are usually full of ****. i will always give my best though. Customers , coworkers, and my superiors deserve nothing less.

• Like 3

LOL.. I've been using for over 25 years now.. and was always supportive of new version as it brought better things.. being objective for some people is not an option.

Windows 8 is terrible and that's a simple fact that everyone sees.. Unlike with Vista, which I actually didn't have problems with, and Windows 7 being absolutely terrific Windows, this new version of Windows 8 and everything Microsoft is doing is completely detached from any understanding of technology and vision. Sorry that many people just can't see that and are blindly defending something that's subpar. Being critical of crap will make Microsoft make a better Windows, defending their disasters does nothing but encourages garbage and mediocrity and destroying what we had for PCs all these decades.

What exactly is microsoft doing with Windows 8? Getting rid of the start menu? Oh god technology is completely ruined now :rolleyes:

Way to also completely avoid my point because you know it's true. Had Windows 8 been a Google product you WOULD have been calling it the best OS ever and telling everyone to use it. Don't try and claim otherwise.

Actually all change is progress, just not necessarily in the direction you want. :p

Actually it's not

Main Entry: progress Part of Speech: verb

Definition: improve, advance

Synonyms ameliorate, become better, better, blossom, boost, develop, gain, grow, increase, make first rate, mature, shape up, straighten up, truck, turn over new leaf, upgrade

Antonyms: decline, decrease, deteriorate, retrogress

changing for the worst would be retrogress

Educate your self

Actually it's not

Main Entry: progress Part of Speech: verb

Definition: improve, advance

Synonyms ameliorate, become better, better, blossom, boost, develop, gain, grow, increase, make first rate, mature, shape up, straighten up, truck, turn over new leaf, upgrade

Antonyms: decline, decrease, deteriorate, retrogress

changing for the worst would be retrogress

Educate your self

Retrogress (while technically a word) is actually just a longer way of saying Regress, which would also be correct.

However Progress can also have the following definition:

To increase in scope or severity, as a disease taking an unfavorable course.

As in 'he progressed towards his inevitable death'. One would say that moving towards death isn't really an improvement. Thus is the nature of our language.

BTW, trying to argue semantics with someone who started reading at about the time they started walking, and already tested at college level comprehension by the age of 9...probably a waste of your time.

Then again what was the last job you've had that had a major impact that affected millions of people directly? Come back to me when you've had a major success. Until then please don't stock me trying to one up me.

Well now...that's far enough off-topic, sorry folks...back onto the actual topic.

I wholeheartedly agree with this 100%!! best ever statement on this situation, and all that needs to be said really.

too confusing my ass.

people no a days are just too lazy to even bother TRYING to figure out the new system, they'd much rather be spoon fed everything

it's rather despicable how stubborn and stuck in their ways humankind has become

You know not everyone have time to learn something new and needlessly. Most people just want things to work.

For example when you get in a brand new car, you should just be able to oeprate it's equipment but know that because it is a new car, things will be in different places but functions will be excatly the same. Besides, it should take no longer than 5 minutes or less to get to know the new car. Just like it should be like with computers. Computers has lost too much GUI standards that many are becoming confused of which OS is which and how to use it, especially a brand new OS.

Windows 8 has a new GUI and we all don't have the luxury of time to get to know where things are and how to nagivate them.

their sales can't be too bad, i just paid $15 for it this morning, and already back on windows 7. So they got $15 for nothing, ha.

$15 ain't a bad loss, same here buddy really, ?14.99. I'll scratch that as a mistake in life, we all make them sometimes, your not alone, yup, but not a costly one on this occasion, thank god! Just a 'time waster' mostly, but I had a true image backup of Win 7 anyway, so that did save me the hassle in long run, and all back to normal operation. :)

I am not surprised in the least. Windows 8 is a desktop disaster and too confusing for the average Joe and home user. The UI sucks. People do not like it and the sales show that. I have 3 customers who all bought new PCs this past week and 2 of then returned them because they simply can't understand the new Windows. The other one is having headaches.

What they should have done is make Windows 7 better and call it Windows 8, without changing its already usable and easy UI.

I have yet to understand how anything on win8 is confusing to anyone, or how the UI sucks. People quote, make statements, etc, but never give honest real insight and stuff.

I have yet to understand how anything on win8 is confusing to anyone, or how the UI sucks.

For you, yes, great stuff, I'm happy for ya. :)

His post was far more insightful than yours "and stuff".

Who are you to judge whether we're being honest or not about the reasons we dislike Windows 8. I know not being inlove with windows 8 is not allowed around here, but its the way it is.

Maybe you're just way more intelligent than most others. ;) "and stuff".

Well yes, your last part is true, but in honesty, and let's really be honest and not just bash for the sake of 'being cool', the point stands that people can't seem to give a real honest answer on why they think it is bad, and sucks. Instead, they decide to poke fun and demean people that suggest they don't understand what is wrong with it since people never give real or insightful answers and stuff.

So yes, I am more intelligent than most others. However, even with limited intellect, most people should be able to figure out how to operate win8. Or at least form coherent reasons why not...

For you, yes, great stuff, I'm happy for ya. :)

Thank you. Though why you thanked me is not readily apparent.