Windows 8 Going to Sleep?

I'm trying to upload a video to YouTube which is taking me a really long time. I left my computer on all night but my computer still goes to sleep. Now I'm not sure if this is really called "going to sleep" but I must press the power button and after a couple seconds, it takes me to my login page. After that, I'm still able to resume everything I'm doing before it went to "sleep".

I've also changed my power plans (btw, I'm using a laptop) as shown in the picture below:

aOefr.png

But after changing my power plan options, it still goes to sleep. Now before I upgraded to Windows 8, I was running on Windows 7. My Windows 7 computer would never shut off or go to sleep like this. I'm just not sure why Windows 8 would do it.

Anyone know a fix for this?

Possible you have a screensaver set to start after a certain length of time, and under the screensaver choice is a check box that says "On resume, display login screen" uncheck that ?

Possible you have a screensaver set to start after a certain length of time, and under the screensaver choice is a check box that says "On resume, display login screen" uncheck that ?

Make sure there's no "auto lock after x minutes" being enforced. The computer in a lock state ignores what ever power preferences you have set up and sleeps after a few minutes.

Thanks guys but here's what was set the whole time:

LQv3I.png

Control Panel > Power Options > "Choose what the power buttons do" you can click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and disable needing to enter a password on wake

Doesn't solve why it is locking the machine to begin with though

Does the same happen if you choose "High Performance" power plan ?

Also if you enter advanced power plan settings you could try disabling this

Capture.PNG

Control Panel > Power Options > "Choose what the power buttons do" you can click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and disable needing to enter a password on wake

Doesn't solve why it is locking the machine to begin with though

Does the same happen if you choose "High Performance" power plan ?

Also if you enter advanced power plan settings you could try disabling this

Capture.PNG

Yeah thanks for that but like you said, why is it even locking on the first place? And also, when I log back in, I don't need a password, I just need to click on the start screen at the bottom and the start screen goes up and it says it's logging me in.

Yeah thanks for that but like you said, why is it even locking on the first place? And also, when I log back in, I don't need a password, I just need to click on the start screen at the bottom and the start screen goes up and it says it's logging me in.

Maybe its not going to sleep, is it only the power button that wakes it ?

If its just the lock screen timeout, you can try disabling it using this tutorial

http://blog.laptopma...in8-lock-screen

Or changing its delay here

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8268-lock-screen-timeout-period-change-windows-8-a.html

• 4 weeks later...

In the same dialog that is shown above, click on the + sign next to sleep. See the Hibernate section. I found that even though I had been putting the laptop to sleep, it was coming back from hibernate, because the default was to hibernate after 5 hours even when plugged in. I don't think Win7 did that. I changed it to 900 minutes, but haven't had a chance yet to test an extended sleep cycle.

sounds like it is going into hibernation to me

the hibernate timer works separately from the sleep timer but is located under the sleep timer in the advance power options

post-335698-0-95170900-1355115682.png

i have mine set to never because i don't bother with hibernation

• 2 months later...