Ingress - Google's Augmented Reality MMORPG

Mystic Mungis

494516905.jpg

Ingress is just a game. A massively multiplayer alternate-reality game, one that that overlaps with the real world ? so like you walk to actual places (a museum, or library) with your phone to do things in the game, in which you're on a team with potentially millions of people competing against a rival, equally massive team ? but a game nonetheless.

Still, there's something slightly unnerving about the fact that it's Google launching this alternate-reality game as it diligently and publicly pursues the augmented-reality future with its Project Glass concept. Google already creates or dictates a lot of reality in an abstract sense ? whenever you search for something, Google gives you the answer. That is reality according to Google, and it's one you probably accept. With Ingress, Google is toying with reality even as it gets ready to create aspects of it in a real sense with Project Glass, highlighting in a weird way the kind of power Google will have once everybody's got a pair of its glasses strapped to their face.

I'm sure the game is a lot of fun, though! I can't wait to play it. Invite-only for now, and it's out on Android first, but it'll likely make its way to other platforms. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's this kind of massive, reality-warping game that'll end up being the next World of Warcraft ? highly engaging, with millions of totally enraptured players and a sizable place in pop culture. Like Lost, but you're in it.

source

Never really been into augmented reality games, since I live in quite a rural area there is no point in me playing it but if you are interest you can request an invite from the official site :)

• Like 1
Detection

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

Glassed Silver

w00t... awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Requested an invite, maybe I'll have one when I have an secondary Android based smartphone sometime sooner or later. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 1
Buttus

requested an invite the other day, still waiting! people are saying it's pretty cool tho

+Majesticmerc

Sounds like it could be a bit of fun. Signed up :)

SMELTN

if anyone gets in please share invites if you can!!! I would love to get in this. Just bought my Galaxy S3 and wanta try !!

Warboy

Yes I would be interested in a invite if invited people can share them.

exotoxic

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

• Like 1
firey

just registered, hope I get a bit of google love.

sagum

For the rest of us that don't live in a highly populated City with lots of android users, you might be better off playing qonqr. Same idea, already out and you take over cities around you. http://qonqr.com/ The interface isn't as 3D, but the idea is the same.

Cute James

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding...

Wow, that'd be awesome. They could call it, I dunno, "real life", or something...

• Like 1
Mystic Mungis

No problem guys, hope you all get an invite :)

SMELTN

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

You know the navigation app Waze has a feature VERY similar to this idea and it works great. I know its possible its just a matter of if they implement it in this or not. Great idea though

Geoffrey B.

Put in my email the day they put up the request page. Not sure it would be all that good if I were chosen as I live in a very rural area and the game probably would not have anything in my area.

• 3 weeks later...
Grunt

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

AJerman

Got any extra invites? Should we get an invite thread going? I'd love to try it out.

Edit: Hmm... apparently users may not get invites for this. I've signed up, I'll have to watch the devs on G+ too.

TAZMINATOR

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

Geoffrey B.

still waiting for my invite signed up the day it went live. :p

Detection
FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

My only Android is a tablet :)

TAZMINATOR

My only Android is a tablet :)

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

NOTE: This app is optimized for smartphones, not tablets.

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Detection

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Ah right, yea I have it installed and it runs, it said compatible from the play store for my tab, I can't remember if I made an account yet though

EDIT - Its asking for an activation code so I need to wait for the invite

firey

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Detection

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Pupik

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

Can you play with others?

firey

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing it based on location too (higher populated areas).

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jefferson Mangubat
      Microsoft Office edit support comes to Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides for iOS
      by Jefferson Mangubat

Google has rolled out native editing support for Microsoft Office files on Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides for iOS. The company announced the latest change today, available now for all users with both personal and enterprise accounts.

The new update allows you to edit, comment, and collaborate on Office files in Docs, Sheets, and Slides on your iPhone or iPad. Google says the feature "brings the collaborative and assistive features of Google Workspace to your Microsoft Office files” for iOS users. That means you no longer have to download and email file attachments like before. Prior to this change, you would need to convert an Office file into a format that's compatible with Docs, Sheets, or Slides in order to edit it on your iOS device, making that task cumbersome.

Office editing support was previously introduced to Docs, Sheets, and Slides for Android in September. The same functionality was rolled out on the web last year. Just like its Android release, today's update gives you access to new improvements to sharing options and controls. The new capability also replaces the previous Office Compatibility Mode (Quickoffice), which only had basic functions.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Poco M3 debuts with 6,000mAh battery, a Snapdragon 662 SoC, and more from $129
      by Jay Bonggolto

The Pocophone F1 undercut its rivals when it debuted in 2018 with top-of-the-line specs such as a Snapdragon 845 chipset and 8GB of RAM for $300. Today, Poco is out with another mid-ranger that could give its rivals a run for their money.

Poco announced today the Poco M3, its latest smartphone that retails from $129. Under the hood, it's powered by Qualcomm's 11nm-based octa-core Snapdragon 662 SoC with a clock speed of up to 2.0 GHz. The chipset is paired with 4GB of RAM and either 64GB of 128GB of internal storage that's expandable to up to 512GB with a microSD card. It also features Adreno 610 for graphics.

Perhaps the phone's main selling factor is its 6,000mAh battery with support for 18W charging. In addition, it comes with a 22.5W charger in the box. Poco claims the battery can last up to 40 hours for calling or up to eight days for basic tasks like listening to music, although these can vary depending on real-world settings. Still, these specs offer a better value than the likes of the Nord N100, which features a 5,000mAh battery, a Snapdragon 460 SoC, and up to 64GB of storage for £179.

The Poco M3 sports a 6.53-inch display with a resolution of 2340 x 1080 and a Dot Drop notch that houses an 8MP selfie camera. Its screen is protected by Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 and has a 19.5:9 aspect ratio.

Optics-wise, the phone rocks a triple AI camera setup at the back featuring a 48MP main shooter, 2MP macro camera, and a 2MP depth sensor. Other features of the device include a side-mounted fingerprint sensor, AI face unlock, and 3.5mm headphone jack. It runs Android 10 with MIUI 12 on top.

The Poco M3 will come in Poco Yellow, Cool Blue, and Power Black. The 4GB/64GB memory configuration will be available to purchase for $129 and the 4GB/128GB for $149 beginning on November 27 as part of Poco's Black Friday promotion.

• By Abhay V
      Google details the new Fit workout features making it to Wear OS devices
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Google Fit received a major revamp last week, bringing new features and UI to the app on Android and iOS. The search giant also previewed new Tiles coming to Wear OS devices that make it easier to start and track workouts from the smartwatch. The firm has now detailed the improvements made to the feature in a separate support document (spotted by 9to5Google).

The revamped experience now features two Tiles for workouts, with the center screen providing basic stats such as time elapsed, distance, and pace – for runners. The Tile on the right provides performance metrics such as calories burnt, steps covered, and Heart Point, which can be cycled through by tapping on the metric. The top of the screen houses a heart rate zone indicator. The new UI also provides completion alerts for each unit of distance – or splits –, including pace information and remaining distance callouts.

Additionally, users can now set goals before commencing a workout by tapping on the flag icon and choosing their preferred goal from the list. These goals include distance, calories, Heart Points, and more. There is also a new celebration animation for when users hit their target for Heart Points or steps, every day.

The leftmost screen features quick settings and music controls. Users can now turn on Touch Lock from the quick settings to prevent accidental touches on the display. However, this does not disable the physical button, making it easy to switch screens or pause workouts.

Lastly, the new Breathe Tile – akin to the one present in Samsung’s devices – provides guided breathing sessions and post-session summary of heart rate changes, and more.

These features will make it to Wear OS through an update to the Fit app starting this week.

Source: Google via 9to5Google

• By Rich Woods
      2020 Holiday Gift Guide: Streaming solutions
      by Rich Woods

Every year, we like to write up some holiday gift guides for those that like to get people some device as a gift, but don't quite know what to get. One of my favorite topics is set-top boxes; you know, those little streaming devices that let you play Netflix, Hulu, and a lot more. The reason is that for so many people, streaming devices are the perfect gift.

There are so many people that only think to upgrade one component of their entertainment system. I can't tell you how many people I see spend a couple thousand dollars on a brand-new LG OLED or Samsung QLED 4K UHD TV, but they're still using their third-generation Apple TV or original Amazon Fire TV Stick. Many people just don't stop to think that they're limiting their experience by using an old device.

It's a meaningful upgrade in our experience too. We spend a lot of our time in front of TVs, whether it's for binging a new show on Netflix or watching movies. Going from something that only supports FHD to something that supports UHD and HDR formats like Dolby Vision can really change the experience. And it's not even an expensive gift.

Amazon Fire TV
      If you're buying for someone that's invested in Amazon's ecosystem, the Fire TV is the way to go. What's great about them is that Amazon has some solid deals on its own hardware throughout the holiday season. There are four key products here: Fire TV Cube, Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Stick, and Fire TV Stick Lite.

The Fire TV Cube is the best that Amazon has to offer. It's faster than the quad-core processors in the Fire TV Sticks with its hexa-core chipset, and it has an Ethernet port for wired internet speeds. Another key feature is far-field voice microphones for Alexa support. It's normally $119.99, but right now, it's $79.99.

The Fire TV Stick 4K has the same picture quality as the Fire TV Cube, meaning 4K resolution support along with HDR10+, Dolby Vision, and more HDR support. It comes with an Alexa voice remote. Normally $49.99, this product is just $29.99.

Next, we have the FHD lineup, which is the Fire TV Stick and the Fire TV Stick light. The Fire TV stick is normally $39.99 and it's marked down to $27.99, so you should probably just spend the extra $2 for 4K and Dolby Vision support. Finally, normally $29.99, the Fire TV Stick Lite is $17.99.

Fire TV Cube Fire TV Stick 4K Fire TV Stick Fire TV Stick Lite Google Chromecast
      Google's Chromecast was always a product that I had trouble recommending. The whole idea was supposed to be a new take on a streaming device. Instead of a remote control, you cast content from your smartphone to the device, also controlling it with your phone. It was interesting, but not always practical.

The new Chromecast is more traditional though. It comes with an actual operating system, Google TV, which will let you run all of your apps like Netflix, Hulu, and so on. It also comes with a proper remote control. And another thing, you don't need to spend extra money on some "Ultra" variant to get 4K support. The new Chromecast supports 4K resolution, and HDR formats like Dolby Vision, HDR10, and HDR10+.

If you want to check it out on the Google Store, you can find it here.

Roku

The nice thing about Roku is that it's platform-agnostic. Amazon's Fire TV is built around Amazon Prime subscription content and on-demand content. Apple TV is built around iTunes. Roku isn't built around any service, although it does have a few of its own now. Roku was also the first to make a streaming set-top box back in the day.

These days, it makes a ton of products, and you can check out the full list here. At the top of the lineup is the Roku Ultra, which supports 4K, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, and wired internet. Usually $99.99, it's on sale for $69.99. Roku also has the Streambar and Smart Soundbar, which add audio quality to the mix along with 4K HDR support.

There are some other things that are nice about Roku too, such as AirPlay support if you don't want to go all-in on an Apple TV. There's also a headphone jack in the remote control, so you can watch TV without waking people up. Just like Amazon, Roku also has its own range of inexpensive streaming sticks.

Roku Ultra ($69, usually $99.99) Roku Streambar (99.99, usually $129.99) Roku Smart Soundbar ($179.99) Apple TV
      Apple TV is great if you're invested in Apple's ecosystem, and the nice thing about iTunes is that Apple doesn't charge extra for 4K content. Apple has two models, the Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K. The difference is pretty self-explanatory. The only problem is that the Apple TV 4K is already three years old, and the Apple TV HD is over five years old.

If you want to check these out, you can find them here:

Apple TV 4K ($179) Apple TV HD ($149) As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      You can now view detailed contact information right within Gmail's side panel
      by Jay Bonggolto

Google announced today a new update for Gmail that brings more information about users' contacts to the side panel. The latest change is rolling out to Gmail for enterprise, education, nonprofit, and personal users.

The new update adds the Contacts tab to the side panel. This allows you to view your contact's team, manager, office or desk location, email history (if any), and contact information like their phone number. You can view these pieces of information by clicking “More info” as you hover over a contact's information card or by selecting the Contacts icon in the side panel.

The new enhancement provides additional information about users within your organization, your contacts, and people who previously sent you an email. In addition, Gmail now lets you add users to your contacts and exchange an email or message with them, right from the side panel.

Google recommends having "user data fully populated across Google Workspace apps" in order to make full use of this feature. These data can be populated in the Users section of the Admin console, Google Cloud Directory Sync, and Admin SDK.

This update is rolling out starting today in the Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains.