Ingress - Google's Augmented Reality MMORPG

Mystic Mungis

494516905.jpg

Ingress is just a game. A massively multiplayer alternate-reality game, one that that overlaps with the real world ? so like you walk to actual places (a museum, or library) with your phone to do things in the game, in which you're on a team with potentially millions of people competing against a rival, equally massive team ? but a game nonetheless.

Still, there's something slightly unnerving about the fact that it's Google launching this alternate-reality game as it diligently and publicly pursues the augmented-reality future with its Project Glass concept. Google already creates or dictates a lot of reality in an abstract sense ? whenever you search for something, Google gives you the answer. That is reality according to Google, and it's one you probably accept. With Ingress, Google is toying with reality even as it gets ready to create aspects of it in a real sense with Project Glass, highlighting in a weird way the kind of power Google will have once everybody's got a pair of its glasses strapped to their face.

I'm sure the game is a lot of fun, though! I can't wait to play it. Invite-only for now, and it's out on Android first, but it'll likely make its way to other platforms. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's this kind of massive, reality-warping game that'll end up being the next World of Warcraft ? highly engaging, with millions of totally enraptured players and a sizable place in pop culture. Like Lost, but you're in it.

source

Never really been into augmented reality games, since I live in quite a rural area there is no point in me playing it but if you are interest you can request an invite from the official site :)

• Like 1

Detection

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

Glassed Silver

w00t... awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Requested an invite, maybe I'll have one when I have an secondary Android based smartphone sometime sooner or later. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 1

Buttus

requested an invite the other day, still waiting! people are saying it's pretty cool tho

+Majesticmerc

Sounds like it could be a bit of fun. Signed up :)

SMELTN

if anyone gets in please share invites if you can!!! I would love to get in this. Just bought my Galaxy S3 and wanta try !!

Warboy

Yes I would be interested in a invite if invited people can share them.

exotoxic

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

• Like 1

firey

just registered, hope I get a bit of google love.

sagum

For the rest of us that don't live in a highly populated City with lots of android users, you might be better off playing qonqr. Same idea, already out and you take over cities around you. http://qonqr.com/ The interface isn't as 3D, but the idea is the same.

Cute James

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding...

Wow, that'd be awesome. They could call it, I dunno, "real life", or something...

• Like 1

Mystic Mungis

No problem guys, hope you all get an invite :)

SMELTN

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

You know the navigation app Waze has a feature VERY similar to this idea and it works great. I know its possible its just a matter of if they implement it in this or not. Great idea though

Geoffrey B.

Put in my email the day they put up the request page. Not sure it would be all that good if I were chosen as I live in a very rural area and the game probably would not have anything in my area.

• 3 weeks later...
Grunt

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

AJerman

Got any extra invites? Should we get an invite thread going? I'd love to try it out.

Edit: Hmm... apparently users may not get invites for this. I've signed up, I'll have to watch the devs on G+ too.

TAZMINATOR

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

Geoffrey B.

still waiting for my invite signed up the day it went live. :p

Detection
FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

My only Android is a tablet :)

TAZMINATOR

My only Android is a tablet :)

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

NOTE: This app is optimized for smartphones, not tablets.

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Detection

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Ah right, yea I have it installed and it runs, it said compatible from the play store for my tab, I can't remember if I made an account yet though

EDIT - Its asking for an activation code so I need to wait for the invite

firey

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Detection

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Pupik

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

Can you play with others?

firey

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing it based on location too (higher populated areas).

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Google Web Designer 12.0.0.0719
      by Razvan Serea

Create engaging, interactive HTML5-based designs and motion graphics that can run on any device
      Google Web Designer is an advanced web application that's built with HTML5 which lets you design and build HTML5 advertisements and other web content using an integrated visual and code interface. Using Google Web Designer's design view you can create content using drawing tools, text, and 3D objects, and you can animate objects on a timeline. Once you're done creating your content, Google Web Designer outputs clean human-readable HTML5, CSS3, and Javascript.

When you create advertising creatives with Google Web Designer, you can use a library of components that lets you add image galleries, videos, ad network tools, and more.

Google Web Designer's Code view lets you create CSS, JavaScript, and XML files, using syntax highlighting and code autocompletion to make your code easier to write, with fewer errors.

New features in version 12.0.0.0719:

Add filters like blur, brightness, drop shadow, and more.

Set how elements blend with overlapping elements with mix blend modes.

Video:

You can now produce videos with Google Web Designer.

Import and edit media clip sequences.

Include text, images, and animation, all rendered in the final published video.

Preview video and audio playback directly on the stage.

Export multiple variants from a single video document.

Other notable changes in version 12.0.0.0719:

Custom components that follow the Custom Elements v0 specification are no longer be supported. Learn how to upgrade your components. The stage zoom controls now include a dropdown, with a "Zoom to fit" option that lets you automatically set the stage zoom level to maximize the available space. Fixes & improvements in version 12.0.0.0719:

3D

Camera-based methods now account for pending camera edits. Page attributes data-gwd-width and data-gwd-height are now set to pixel values upon publishing Swirl ads. Fixed zoom limit set in 3D editor is now respected in the published ads. Dynamic

Image Effects and Transition Gallery components now support dynamic data bindings. Fixed issue where switching to a document with a bind-style attribute would mark the file as needing to be saved again. SVG

Text fitting is no longer added when binding an SVG element. Fixed issue with pasting SVG code to the stage in Windows. Fixed issue with importing an SVG twice. Fixed issue where importing multiple inline SVGs with IDs in common did not rename the IDs. Other

Fixed issue where the component editing dialog didn’t close after the source file was deleted from the file system. Fixed issue where an extra undo operation was added when switching gradient type to radial. Fixed issue with using arrows keys in the Outliner panel. Fixed issue with template filters in the Template Gallery. Keyframes can no longer be duplicated to a locked layer. Fixed issue where an element's bottom-right radius was not reflected in the Quick mode timeline thumbnail. [full release notes] Download: Google Web Designer 12.0.0.0719 | 1.0 MB (Freeware)
      Links: Google Web Designer Website | Screenshot

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By anmol112
      Google delays its plans to re-open offices, will require employees to get vaccinated
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Today, Google CEO Sundar Pichai sent out an email to all the Google employees briefing them about the company's plans to re-open offices for employees.

In the email, Pichai said that the company plans to delay the return to offices to at least October 18, thanks to the recent spike in coronavirus cases due to the Delta variant. He also assured that the company will give ample notice to employees before opening offices in order to help them transition back to the office environment. Furthermore, the company noted that it plans to allow employees with special needs to apply for an exemption and work from home till the end of 2021.

Apart from that, Pichai also confirmed that the company plans to make vaccination mandatory for all Google employees returning to the campus. The company will roll out this policy to employees in the U.S. in the coming weeks with plans to expand it to other regions in the coming months. Pichai also noted that the company will not apply the policy until vaccines are readily available in the local area.

The search giant also plans to allow employees to apply for exemption in case they cannot get vaccinated due to "medical or other protected reasons". The company will share more information about the exemption process in the future.

Lastly, Pichai also took this opportunity to announce that Google helped Gavi vaccinate over one million people in low-and middle-income countries globally.

• By zikalify
      Samsung shows off the official Galaxy Unpacked trailer
      by Paul Hill

Last week, Samsung announced that it would be hosting its next Galaxy Unpacked event on August 11 where it will show off the third iteration of the Galaxy Z Fold. To get people excited for the event, the firm has published a trailer that teases the upcoming foldable phone but not the next Galaxy Note, Galaxy Tab, or Galaxy Watch devices that are also expected to make an appearance.

The tag line of the trailer, ‘Is “good” good enough?’, is posed after the narrator runs through previous devices explaining we used to think those devices were good with the aim of normalising the foldable phone format. While it’s only wild speculation, perhaps Samsung is thinking about cutting the price of the next Galaxy Z Fold so that it’s accessible to a wider audience.

The Galaxy Z Fold originally launched for $1,980 and its successor, the Galaxy Z Fold2, was even pricier at $1,999. Despite the speculation above, it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Fold3 – or whatever it will be called – fetch a similar price to its predecessors. If the Galaxy Z line continues to fetch such high prices, most people will likely stick to the Galaxy S line.

To follow the event on August 11, check out the #SamsungUnpacked hashtag on social media or head over to Samsung.com to watch the event in real-time.

• By zikalify
      Vodafone: 5G could provide £6.3 billion boost to UK manufacturing by 2030
      by Paul Hill

A new report from Vodafone has found that the UK manufacturing sector could be boosted by £6.3 billion by 2030 if it adopts 5G. While the sector would benefit across the country, Vodafone believes this boost would be most pronounced in the North West, North East, the Midlands, and Wales.

The ways in which 5G could boost manufacturing vary. 5G mobile private networks (MPNs), for example, would be able to share lots of data from connected devices around factories in real-time allowing for better decisions to be made so productivity can be maximised. 5G also allows for predictive maintenance so that businesses know when and where repairs will be needed allowing for downtime to be avoided. Finally, 5G will enable Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) technologies that can be used to design and view plans before construction takes place, this will help save time and money.

Commenting on the report, Anne Sheehan, Business Director at Vodafone, said:

Minister for Digital Infrastructure Matt Warman confirmed that the government is committed to helping the manufacturing industry introduce 5G into their operations, point to a £200 million 5G trials scheme.

• By Steven P.
      Amazon's Fire TV Stick 4K is 20% off down to $39.99 today
      by Steven Parker

It's not uncommon for Amazon to run discounts on its first-party products, and today is no different. It's currently offering $10 off of the regular price of the Fire TV Stick 4K. Regularly priced at $49.99, that puts it down at $39.99.

The Fire TV Stick is a dongle that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Once you connect to Wi-Fi, it will automatically sign in to your Amazon account (unless you check the box saying it's a gift when you order it), and you'll be able to watch anything from the library of Amazon Prime Video movies and TV shows. Of course, you can also download a variety of apps such as Netflix, Hulu, and more.

Amazon's Fire TV family of products has become popular for a variety of reasons. One is that they're cheap; after all, $40 is a very low price for the ability to stream 4K content. Another reason is that because Fire OS is a variant of Android, which means that you can side-load Android apps to supplement the ones you can get from Amazon's own app store.

In addition, you can also Trade-in a qualifying device such as an older Fire TV Stick for an additional 20% off. Check out the terms in the link below.

Get the Fire TV Stick 4K for $39.99 (list price $49.99) 20% off

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.