Ingress - Google's Augmented Reality MMORPG

Mystic Mungis

494516905.jpg

Ingress is just a game. A massively multiplayer alternate-reality game, one that that overlaps with the real world ? so like you walk to actual places (a museum, or library) with your phone to do things in the game, in which you're on a team with potentially millions of people competing against a rival, equally massive team ? but a game nonetheless.

Still, there's something slightly unnerving about the fact that it's Google launching this alternate-reality game as it diligently and publicly pursues the augmented-reality future with its Project Glass concept. Google already creates or dictates a lot of reality in an abstract sense ? whenever you search for something, Google gives you the answer. That is reality according to Google, and it's one you probably accept. With Ingress, Google is toying with reality even as it gets ready to create aspects of it in a real sense with Project Glass, highlighting in a weird way the kind of power Google will have once everybody's got a pair of its glasses strapped to their face.

I'm sure the game is a lot of fun, though! I can't wait to play it. Invite-only for now, and it's out on Android first, but it'll likely make its way to other platforms. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's this kind of massive, reality-warping game that'll end up being the next World of Warcraft ? highly engaging, with millions of totally enraptured players and a sizable place in pop culture. Like Lost, but you're in it.

source

Never really been into augmented reality games, since I live in quite a rural area there is no point in me playing it but if you are interest you can request an invite from the official site :)

• Like 1

Detection

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

Glassed Silver

w00t... awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Requested an invite, maybe I'll have one when I have an secondary Android based smartphone sometime sooner or later. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 1

Buttus

requested an invite the other day, still waiting! people are saying it's pretty cool tho

+Majesticmerc

Sounds like it could be a bit of fun. Signed up :)

SMELTN

if anyone gets in please share invites if you can!!! I would love to get in this. Just bought my Galaxy S3 and wanta try !!

Warboy

Yes I would be interested in a invite if invited people can share them.

exotoxic

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

• Like 1

firey

just registered, hope I get a bit of google love.

sagum

For the rest of us that don't live in a highly populated City with lots of android users, you might be better off playing qonqr. Same idea, already out and you take over cities around you. http://qonqr.com/ The interface isn't as 3D, but the idea is the same.

Cute James

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding...

Wow, that'd be awesome. They could call it, I dunno, "real life", or something...

• Like 1

Mystic Mungis

No problem guys, hope you all get an invite :)

SMELTN

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

You know the navigation app Waze has a feature VERY similar to this idea and it works great. I know its possible its just a matter of if they implement it in this or not. Great idea though

Geoffrey B.

Put in my email the day they put up the request page. Not sure it would be all that good if I were chosen as I live in a very rural area and the game probably would not have anything in my area.

• 3 weeks later...
Grunt

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

AJerman

Got any extra invites? Should we get an invite thread going? I'd love to try it out.

Edit: Hmm... apparently users may not get invites for this. I've signed up, I'll have to watch the devs on G+ too.

TAZMINATOR

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

Geoffrey B.

still waiting for my invite signed up the day it went live. :p

Detection
FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

My only Android is a tablet :)

TAZMINATOR

My only Android is a tablet :)

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

NOTE: This app is optimized for smartphones, not tablets.

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Detection

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Ah right, yea I have it installed and it runs, it said compatible from the play store for my tab, I can't remember if I made an account yet though

EDIT - Its asking for an activation code so I need to wait for the invite

firey

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Detection

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Pupik

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

Can you play with others?

firey

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing it based on location too (higher populated areas).

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jay Bonggolto
      OnePlus Nord 2 5G officially breaks cover, but you can't buy it in the U.S.
      by Jay Bonggolto

After releasing a drip-feed of information about its new mid-range smartphone, OnePlus today formally unveiled the Nord 2 5G in all its glory. The device is the successor to last year's original Nord, and it offers a number of improvements from its predecessor.

As previously revealed by the company, the Nord 2 5G is powered by MediaTek's Dimensity 1200 AI processor. It's a high-end chipset announced earlier this year, featuring a top-tier Cortex-A78 core clocked at 3GHz as well as three other Cortex-A78 performance cores running at 2.6GHz and Cortex-A55 efficiency cores clocked at 2.0GHz. The chipset also brings improvements for imaging, display, and gaming experience.

Camera-wise, the Nord 2 5G boasts a 50MP AI triple camera setup at the back, with the main shooter featuring Sony's IMX766 sensor with optical image stabilization, confirming previous rumors. The camera module also consists of an 8MP ultrawide-angle shooter and a 2MP mono lens. The camera is also capable of shooting videos of up to 4K resolution at 30fps. On its front, there's a 32MP selfie snapper with Sony IMX615.

The device sports a 6.43-inch Fluid AMOLED display with a 2400 x 1080 resolution, HDR10+ support, and a 90Hz refresh rate. Inside, it packs a 4500mAh battery with support for Warp Charge 65 that OnePlus claims can charge the phone to 70% in 15 minutes.

The latest Nord will have limited availability, however, as it will be released only in Europe and India. Those living in Europe and the UK can pre-order the device today at £399 for the 8GB/128GB memory variant and £469 for the 12GB/256GB variant, available in Gray Sierra and Blue Haze. In India, pre-orders are also open and the phone retails for ₹29,999 (approximately $402) for the 8GB/128GB variant and ₹34,999 (approximately $470) for the 12GB/256GB configuration with the same color options as in Europe. Another color variant, Green Woods, is available only in India.

• By Copernic
      Google Chrome 92.0.4515.107 (offline installer)
      by Razvan Serea

The web browser is arguably the most important piece of software on your computer. You spend much of your time online inside a browser: when you search, chat, email, shop, bank, read the news, and watch videos online, you often do all this using a browser.

Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and easier. Use one box for everything--type in the address bar and get suggestions for both search and Web pages. Thumbnails of your top sites let you access your favorite pages instantly with lightning speed from any new tab. Desktop shortcuts allow you to launch your favorite Web apps straight from your desktop. Chrome has many useful features built in, including automatic full-page translation and access to thousands of apps, extensions, and themes from the Chrome Web Store.

Google Chrome is one of the best solutions for Internet browsing giving you high level of security, speed and great features.

Important to know! The offline installer links do not include the automatic update feature.

Download web installer: Google Chrome Web 32-bit | Google Chrome 64-bit | Freeware
      Download: Google Chrome Offline Installer 64-bit | 73.7 MB
      Download: Google Chrome Offline Installer 32-bit | 71.1 MB
      Download: Google Chrome MSI Installers for Windows (automatic update)
      View: Chrome Website | v92.0.4515.107 Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Usama Jawad96
      Chrome now features better privacy and security without draining the battery
      by Usama Jawad

Google Chrome 92 is rolling out later today with a number of enhancements such as Bluetooth device filtering, enhancements to PWAs, and deprecation of a payment handler configuration. Now, the company has detailed certain privacy- and security-related features that it is rolling out to Chrome today as well.

Chrome users may have noticed that some sites ask for extra permissions such as microphone and location. To allow you to keep track of what permissions a site is utilizing, you can simply click on the lock icon in the address bar which now shows an updated panel showing the permissions you have granted. You can toggle these permissions as well. Currently, this capability is only present on Android phones and tablets. Google says that future enhancements will also include the ability to delete the site from your browsing history.

Improvements are being made to Chrome Actions as well. For those unaware, this feature was introduced in Chrome 87 in November 2020, and enables users to perform actions such as deleting history or cookies right from the address bar of the browser. Today, it is getting new actions such as the ability to type "safety check" to validate the security of your passwords and scan for malicious extensions. Other actions include "manage security settings" and "manage sync".

Finally, on the security front, Google is expanding Site Isolation on Chrome. In-depth technical details can be found on the technical blog here, but in a nutshell, the capability isolates sites and extensions from each other so a malicious extension or site is not able to steal your data from another website. The feature is being expanded to cover more websites and extensions. The company has boasted that with new image processing techniques in Chrome, it has also made phishing detection 50 times faster with the process draining even lower battery than before. You can find out more details about this here.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Chrome 92 is coming today, deprecates payment handler configuration, enhances PWAs
      by Usama Jawad

Chrome 91 released back in May with an improved File System Access API and support for the automatic transfer of one-time passwords (OTP) from SMS to cross-origin iframes on the web. Today, Chrome 92 will be rolling out in the Stable channel and notably, it enhances the behavior of PWAs and deprecates a payment handler configuration, among other things.

Chrome previously allowed payment handlers to receive events for "paymentrequest" as long as it came via standardized payment method identifiers such as tokenized-card or basic-card. However, the company has observed that since these do not have lists to explicitly allow or block access and can be installed silently, they can mislead and confuse a user who receives a popup for an obscure payment handler even though they are trying to make a transaction with their credit or debit card already stored in the browser. As such, this feature is now being removed.

There are bunch of developer-focused capabilities in this release as well. Following frequent requests, the Display P3 color space can be used to create a 2D canvas. While the convention is sRGB, it is not good enough for most modern displays, hence this enhancement. Furthermore, the sticky positioned element on a webpage being targeted by any operation has to revert to its original position without any offset.

There are accessibility improvements being made as well for those who use screen readers. Typically, screen readers with touch screens feature a "touch exploration" mode in which users can tap across the screen and receive feedback depending upon the element they touch. However, Google says that this capability is not always desirable so now developers can add an "aria-touchpassthrough" HTML element which will allow gestures to receive no feedback when applied. The specification for the imperative slot distribution API has been finalized as well and is supported in Chrome 92. Some enhancements to CSS @font-face have been made too.

Yet another feature that developers will find particularly useful is an improvement to the method called Intl.DateTimeFormat(), which can now handle times such as "1 in the afternoon" and "6 in the evening". This is in line with what is already offered in Java and C++. Prior to this feature being natively offered, developers had to either format the time on the server-side or transfer the mappings from the server to the client. Similarly, the Intl Locale Info API, currently being proposed in Stage ECMAScript TC39, is now supported in Chrome 92 to expose locale information. In the same vein, a relative indexing method called at() has been introduced for Array, String, and TypedArrays.

Improvements are being made to how Resource Timing handles tainted origin flags. In order to enable developers to build more secure applications, the crypto.randomUUID() is being introduced to generate UUIDs that are compliant with RFC 4122.

Web developers will be further pleased to know that Chrome 92 contains a proposal for a Shared Element Transitions script API that enables smooth transitions for Single-Page Applications (SPAs) and Multi-Page Applications (MPAs) without requiring major effort.

Another feature that is bound to please both Bluetooth device manufacturers and their end-users is that the former will now be able to use vendor and product IDs to show only their Bluetooth devices in the browser. This means that the UI will be potentially less cluttered if this filter is applied instead of showing all nearby devices.

Finally, Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) can now register themselves as the default handlers of specific URLs via their installation manifest. This will not only enhance the end-user experience but also increase the discoverability of a PWA.

Chrome 92 will be rolling out later today. If it does not update to version 92 automatically for you throughout the course of the day, head over to Help > About Google Chrome to trigger the update once it becomes available. Next up is Chrome 93 which is currently in the Dev channel, scheduled to hit Beta on July 29, with a Stable release expected on August 31.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Apps for Microsoft Teams meetings are now supported on mobile
      by Usama Jawad

It has been particularly tough navigating the remote working landscape in the ongoing pandemic for a number of organizations and individuals. While apps such as Microsoft Teams have enhanced online collaboration, there is still work to be done. Now, Microsoft has announced that Teams apps built for meetings can now be utilized in Android and iOS.

Teams offers apps and activities like Kanban boards, actionable dialogs, and surveys to engage users between pre-, in-, and post-meetings experiences. This capability was announced for desktop PCs back in November, but was not available on mobile devices until today. Now, it is being rolled out for Android and iOS devices as well.

The mobile experience is similar to desktop. Meetings apps can be accessed from a tab before or after the meeting. If you want to interact with apps during the meeting, there is an in-meeting panel you can utilize for this purpose. Furthermore, Microsoft has introduced a new notification for all activities that take place during the meeting. You can click on "View" on the notification banner to drill down to granular details about the activity.

This parity with desktop will certainly please those who actively utilize their mobile devices for work. That said, Microsoft has cautioned that apps will need to be attached to the meeting via desktop by the organizer themselves. Furthermore, not all apps are available for mobile devices currently, but third-party developers will be optimizing their apps for mobile use on a rolling basis. Users looking to utilize this functionality can do so by updating to the latest version of Teams on Android and iOS - version 2021031702 and 2021032701 respectively.