Ingress - Google's Augmented Reality MMORPG

Mystic Mungis

494516905.jpg

Ingress is just a game. A massively multiplayer alternate-reality game, one that that overlaps with the real world ? so like you walk to actual places (a museum, or library) with your phone to do things in the game, in which you're on a team with potentially millions of people competing against a rival, equally massive team ? but a game nonetheless.

Still, there's something slightly unnerving about the fact that it's Google launching this alternate-reality game as it diligently and publicly pursues the augmented-reality future with its Project Glass concept. Google already creates or dictates a lot of reality in an abstract sense ? whenever you search for something, Google gives you the answer. That is reality according to Google, and it's one you probably accept. With Ingress, Google is toying with reality even as it gets ready to create aspects of it in a real sense with Project Glass, highlighting in a weird way the kind of power Google will have once everybody's got a pair of its glasses strapped to their face.

I'm sure the game is a lot of fun, though! I can't wait to play it. Invite-only for now, and it's out on Android first, but it'll likely make its way to other platforms. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's this kind of massive, reality-warping game that'll end up being the next World of Warcraft ? highly engaging, with millions of totally enraptured players and a sizable place in pop culture. Like Lost, but you're in it.

source

Never really been into augmented reality games, since I live in quite a rural area there is no point in me playing it but if you are interest you can request an invite from the official site :)

• Like 1
Detection

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

Glassed Silver

w00t... awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Requested an invite, maybe I'll have one when I have an secondary Android based smartphone sometime sooner or later. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 1
Buttus

requested an invite the other day, still waiting! people are saying it's pretty cool tho

+Majesticmerc

Sounds like it could be a bit of fun. Signed up :)

SMELTN

if anyone gets in please share invites if you can!!! I would love to get in this. Just bought my Galaxy S3 and wanta try !!

Warboy

Yes I would be interested in a invite if invited people can share them.

exotoxic

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

• Like 1
firey

just registered, hope I get a bit of google love.

sagum

For the rest of us that don't live in a highly populated City with lots of android users, you might be better off playing qonqr. Same idea, already out and you take over cities around you. http://qonqr.com/ The interface isn't as 3D, but the idea is the same.

Cute James

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding...

Wow, that'd be awesome. They could call it, I dunno, "real life", or something...

• Like 1
Mystic Mungis

No problem guys, hope you all get an invite :)

SMELTN

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

You know the navigation app Waze has a feature VERY similar to this idea and it works great. I know its possible its just a matter of if they implement it in this or not. Great idea though

Geoffrey B.

Put in my email the day they put up the request page. Not sure it would be all that good if I were chosen as I live in a very rural area and the game probably would not have anything in my area.

• 3 weeks later...
Grunt

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

AJerman

Got any extra invites? Should we get an invite thread going? I'd love to try it out.

Edit: Hmm... apparently users may not get invites for this. I've signed up, I'll have to watch the devs on G+ too.

TAZMINATOR

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

Geoffrey B.

still waiting for my invite signed up the day it went live. :p

Detection
FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

My only Android is a tablet :)

TAZMINATOR

My only Android is a tablet :)

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

NOTE: This app is optimized for smartphones, not tablets.

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Detection

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Ah right, yea I have it installed and it runs, it said compatible from the play store for my tab, I can't remember if I made an account yet though

EDIT - Its asking for an activation code so I need to wait for the invite

firey

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Detection

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Pupik

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

Can you play with others?

firey

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing it based on location too (higher populated areas).

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft is issuing DMCA complaints to take down leaked "Windows 11 ISO" links
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Earlier this week, a Windows 11 ISO for build 21996.1 leaked to the web, letting users try out the yet-to-be-announced offering from Microsoft. The build that seems to have been compiled late in May provides a first look at what the Redmond giant is teasing to be the “next generation of Windows”.

As the leaked build does not paint the complete picture of the OS update owing to it being a pre-release version – one that hasn’t even been released to Insiders –, Microsoft seems to want to restrict users from downloading it, which is why it is issuing DMCA complaints to Google (spotted by Fossbytes) in some regions asking the search giant to take down results containing articles from publications with links to the ISO files. Interestingly, in the linked Microsoft Japan complaint, the firm does confirm the Windows 11 name as it is requesting for the removal of “Windows 11” ISOs, claiming that those are leaked copies of “the unreleased Windows 11” OS.

The company is slated to hold a dedicated event to show off Windows 11 on June 24, and it probably (and understandably) wants users and enthusiasts to reserve their judgement about the upcoming update till it is officially unveiled. Components such as the Microsoft Store, which is said to be receiving a major refresh, are yet to be shown off or talked about. Additionally, the leaked version lacks other improvements that will likely be served through the way of Feature Experience Packs that can be delivered without the need for an OS update, something that is currently being targeted only to internal employees.

There is also a lot that is unknown, such as whether there will be a separate update to Windows 10 this fall (version 21H2) and what the update and support lifecycles look like for Windows 11. What seems to be increasingly certain is the ‘Windows 11’ branding, which is present in the About Windows (winver) pop-up, setup process, and even in the DMCA notices.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      YouTube for iOS adds support for picture-in-picture mode in the US
      by Jay Bonggolto

YouTube confirmed today that it has started rolling out support for picture-in-picture (PiP) mode to its iOS app in the U.S. The feature is available initially to premium subscribers, with a wider release for everyone in the country scheduled soon.

The feature offers a nifty option to watch a video in a small pop-up window on top of other tasks you want to do on your device at the same time. It comes in handy for occasions when you want to open your email, for example, and continue watching a video on the app at the same time. You can do so simply by playing a video in the app and then tapping the home button. The video will then shrink into a smaller player.

It has been available for quite sometime now, although it's limited only to certain platforms. For example, the capability was released to YouTube users on Android 8.0 Oreo for free in the U.S. back in 2018 after exclusively launching on YouTube's premium version.

Apple also introduced support for PiP when it announced iOS 14 in June of last year, allowing YouTube's mobile site users to watch a video on Safari on top of other tasks. However, that capability vanished in September 2020 for non-premium YouTube members. It was reinstated a month later on the service's mobile site for those users.

Source: MacRumors

• By Usama Jawad96
      How to enable auto-destruct on your inactive Google account
      by Usama Jawad

If, like me, you have a bunch of Google accounts and you don't use all of them frequently, you'll be interested to know that Google has a handy utility called "Inactive Account Manager" which does exactly what its name says it does.

Basically, it offers you a couple of ways to handle your inactive accounts, including sharing associated data with your trusted contacts and even enabling self-destruct on it. There could be multiple reasons you would want to do this, including some morbid ones similar to what Facebook introduced a while back.

My personal motivation for setting this up is that I have multiple Google accounts apart from my primary one, which I have created in the past decade or so for numerous reasons such as having a secondary account, an account to prank people, an account I don't use anymore because of its silly username, and more. In the past, I have likely used these accounts for signing up to online platforms and services but do I still need them? I'm not so sure. But since I'm not 100% sure of either option, Google's Inactive Account Manager is a nifty tool that I can use to ensure that I really don't need some accounts anymore. The company uses information about your last sign-ins, your online activity, your usage of Gmail, and Android check-ins to validate the activity status of your account.

But of course everyone would have their own reasons for utilizing this capability, and for many, it may be completely unnecessary. However, if you belong to the former group, read on to find out how to enable this functionality for your account as well!

First, you need to sign into your Google account and head over to the Inactive Account Manager here. Click on "Start" which will kickstart the configuration process. In the first step (screenshot above), you will have to enable the "inactive" time period that Google should consider for your account before it triggers its inactivity plan which you are yet to configure. Unfortunately, the only options available are 3, 6, 12, and 18 months, and there is no way to define a custom value.

You will also be required to set up your phone number and a couple of email addresses. Google will contact you multiple times via SMS and email before it triggers your inactivity plan, should the day ever arrive. If you chose "3 months" in the inactivity section, Google will start contacting you one month before the trigger, if you selected "6 months", it will contact you two months prior, and if you selected 12 or 18 months, it will chase you three months prior to expiration. Click on "Next" after you're done.

This brings you to the step where you can add up to 10 people to inform in case your account expires. You also have the ability to share a lot of your Google account data with them, and a subset of it can be seen in the screenshot above. You can choose to practically share all of your data or none of it. People you share data with will be able to access it for up to three months after your account is considered inactive. These "trusted" contacts will be sent a link via email through which they'll be able to download the data you shared with them. You can also add their phone number and a personal message as a way for Google to validate that your data is actually being shared with the intended person, but this granular configuration is optional.

You can also configure an "AutoReply" that automatically sends out a predetermined response to emails addressed to you. You can also set this up to respond to people in your contacts list only.

It is important to note that this whole section is completely optional. Furthermore, no one you add will be informed of your choice until your account is eventually considered inactive. You can decide to inform no one, share no data with them, and set up AutoReply for no one, it's completely up to you. Once you've configured this section to your liking, click on "Next".

Finally, you also have the capability to enable self-destruct on your inactive Google account. It is noteworthy that all your associated data and accounts will be affected differently, and it is better to go through Google's guidance here before you do decide to pull this particular trigger. If you do enable it, your account will auto-destruct three months after it is considered inactive, during which time people who you shared any data with will also be able to download it. Another point of note is that even though your account will be deleted, no one will be able to reuse your ID which ensures that no one can impersonate you online using your exact email ID.

Once you've reached a decision, click on "Review Plan", which will show you a summary of your inactivity plan, enable you to set up email alerts reminding you that you've configured Inactive Account Manager, and confirm the plan. That's it!

Have you configured your Google account's inactivity plan or do you intend to? Did you find this guide useful? What other guides would you like to see on Neowin? Let us know in the comments section below!

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Google may be building a crowdsourced network of Android devices to help find lost phones
      by Jay Bonggolto

Google already offers a way to locate your device remotely via the Find My Device app and secure your data if your phone is lost. However, the app can find only the devices that are signed in to your Google account.

Now, the search giant may be developing a new feature to help other Android users find their lost devices through crowdsourcing, like Apple's Find My network. A string of code in the latest version of Google Play Services in the beta channel reportedly revealed a "Find My Device Network” that can supposedly let your phone locate your device and other Android handsets as well.

For comparison, Apple’s Find My network relies on a vast network of devices that can help track lost or stolen Apple devices even if these are offline. The Cupertino-based company even expanded its device tracking capability with the debut of the AirTag in April.

With Google's Find My Device network, the company could bank on the large presence of its mobile operating system. This means that any Android smartphone sold outside of China with the Play Services app preloaded will presumably be eligible to join the Find My Device network. It's not known for now, though, whether the feature will release as part of Android 12 as details are limited at the moment.

Source: XDA Developers

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Google Meet's hand raise feature is now more visible with new animation
      by Jay Bonggolto

Google introduced new features for Meet last year meant for education customers, including the ability to virtually raise a hand during a call. The feature, however, was less noticeable especially when you viewed it on the video tile.

That's changing today with a bunch of new updates Google announced for Meet. The latest announcement introduces a fresh animation for hand raise, notification sound, and more.

Google has changed the design of the feature's visual icon with a new animation that makes it more visible on the video tile. The new animation shows up in the bottom-left corner of a video frame with a waving hand. It then expands to show the participant's full name.

Hosts can also move the tiles of participants with raised hands so they can take a more prominent place in the video grid. In addition, there's a new "audio notification for all participants when the first raised hand is raised" and another notification that shows how many raised hands are there, with a link to a list of hand raises in a particular order. After speaking, a participant's virtual hand will then be lowered.

Google says these features are turned on by default. The changes will be available starting today to hosts with Workspace Essentials, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Fundamentals, Education Plus, Nonprofit, and G Suite Business accounts.