Ingress - Google's Augmented Reality MMORPG

Mystic Mungis

494516905.jpg

Ingress is just a game. A massively multiplayer alternate-reality game, one that that overlaps with the real world ? so like you walk to actual places (a museum, or library) with your phone to do things in the game, in which you're on a team with potentially millions of people competing against a rival, equally massive team ? but a game nonetheless.

Still, there's something slightly unnerving about the fact that it's Google launching this alternate-reality game as it diligently and publicly pursues the augmented-reality future with its Project Glass concept. Google already creates or dictates a lot of reality in an abstract sense ? whenever you search for something, Google gives you the answer. That is reality according to Google, and it's one you probably accept. With Ingress, Google is toying with reality even as it gets ready to create aspects of it in a real sense with Project Glass, highlighting in a weird way the kind of power Google will have once everybody's got a pair of its glasses strapped to their face.

I'm sure the game is a lot of fun, though! I can't wait to play it. Invite-only for now, and it's out on Android first, but it'll likely make its way to other platforms. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's this kind of massive, reality-warping game that'll end up being the next World of Warcraft ? highly engaging, with millions of totally enraptured players and a sizable place in pop culture. Like Lost, but you're in it.

source

Never really been into augmented reality games, since I live in quite a rural area there is no point in me playing it but if you are interest you can request an invite from the official site :)

• Like 1
Detection

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

Glassed Silver

w00t... awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Requested an invite, maybe I'll have one when I have an secondary Android based smartphone sometime sooner or later. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 1
Buttus

requested an invite the other day, still waiting! people are saying it's pretty cool tho

+Majesticmerc

Sounds like it could be a bit of fun. Signed up :)

SMELTN

if anyone gets in please share invites if you can!!! I would love to get in this. Just bought my Galaxy S3 and wanta try !!

Warboy

Yes I would be interested in a invite if invited people can share them.

exotoxic

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

• Like 1
firey

just registered, hope I get a bit of google love.

sagum

For the rest of us that don't live in a highly populated City with lots of android users, you might be better off playing qonqr. Same idea, already out and you take over cities around you. http://qonqr.com/ The interface isn't as 3D, but the idea is the same.

Cute James

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding...

Wow, that'd be awesome. They could call it, I dunno, "real life", or something...

• Like 1
Mystic Mungis

No problem guys, hope you all get an invite :)

SMELTN

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

You know the navigation app Waze has a feature VERY similar to this idea and it works great. I know its possible its just a matter of if they implement it in this or not. Great idea though

Geoffrey B.

Put in my email the day they put up the request page. Not sure it would be all that good if I were chosen as I live in a very rural area and the game probably would not have anything in my area.

• 3 weeks later...
Grunt

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

AJerman

Got any extra invites? Should we get an invite thread going? I'd love to try it out.

Edit: Hmm... apparently users may not get invites for this. I've signed up, I'll have to watch the devs on G+ too.

TAZMINATOR

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

Geoffrey B.

still waiting for my invite signed up the day it went live. :p

Detection
FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

My only Android is a tablet :)

TAZMINATOR

My only Android is a tablet :)

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

NOTE: This app is optimized for smartphones, not tablets.

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Detection

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Ah right, yea I have it installed and it runs, it said compatible from the play store for my tab, I can't remember if I made an account yet though

EDIT - Its asking for an activation code so I need to wait for the invite

firey

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Detection

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Pupik

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

Can you play with others?

firey

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing it based on location too (higher populated areas).

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Save 98% off this 2021 Google SEO & SERP Business Marketing Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 98% off this 2021 Google SEO & SERP Business Marketing Bundle. This 26 hours of content on social media marketing, link building, Google citations and more help boost your brand's lead and traffic online.

This bundle includes the following courses:

2021 SEO & Social Media Marketing Strategies To Reach 1,000,000 People
      Learn Effective Marketing Strategies for Branding, Sales, and Traffic Growth Link Building 2021: Google SEO #1 Ranking Tactic (Backlinks)
      Get Amazing Backlinks from Authoritative, High-Quality Sites Using Top SEO Link Building Strategies Voice Search SEO for Local Business & Ecommerce Products
      Target Different Searches Made Through Voice to Get More Traffic & Rank Higher in Google Google Citations 2021: Boost SEO for New Local Websites
      Learn How to Boost Your Search Engine Marketing, Traffic & Clients in Less Than an Hour Advanced SEO 2021: Rank in All 10 Google Search Results (SERPS)
      Learn Intelligent SEO Strategies to Drown Out Your Competitors by Ranking in All 10 Google Search Results Image SEO On Your Website & Google Images
      Optimize Beginner to Advance Image for SEO Technical SEO 2021: Rich & Featured Snippets + HTML Schema
      Have Your Website Search Results Show Up as Rich Snippets with Higher Click-Throughs Using Microformats Technical SEO 2021: 2-Second Website Load Speed In 1 Day
      Make a Faster Website with Technical SEO, UX Design & Web Development Using GTMetrix, Google Lighthouse, and More Advanced Marketing Strategy 2021: Recommendation Engine Algorithms
      Get Traffic & Sales Growth from Recommendation Algorithms on Markeplaces Like Amazon, YouTube & More Advanced SEO Keyword Research 2021
      Solve Common SEO Problems & Have Your Page Rank in Google Search Perfect On-Page SEO in 1 Day That Users & Google Will Love
      Quickly Rank Your Website for Top Keywords with On-Page SEO What's the deal?
      This 2021 Google SEO & SERP Business Marketing Bundle normally costs* $2,189, but you can pick it up for just $34.98 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $2,154.02 (98%). For a full description, specs, and instructor info click the link below.

Get the Google SEO & SERP Business Marketing Bundle
      Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Ivacy VPN - 5 years at 87% off NordVPN - 2 years at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 79% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto | Gaming Bundle Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Apple highlights the dangers of sideloading apps on platforms like Android
      by Usama Jawad

The debate about Apple's "walled garden" approach to the App Store and OS-level customization, especially when compared to Android, is nothing new. However, today there have been a couple of interesting developments on this topic. The company has published a detail report citing the risks of sideloading apps and an executive has even recommended that users who want to engage in this activity should migrate to Android instead.

As spotted by MacRumors, Apple has published a document titled "Building a Trusted Ecosystem for Millions of Apps" on its privacy website. It explains how the company vets each submission to the App Store and rejects apps which are potentially harmful in terms of user privacy and security. It even highlighted a study which indicated that third-party app stores on Android are unsafe and not recommended by security experts. The firm went on to say that:

The 16-page document is quite interesting in its own right and you can read in its full glory here.

Image via uservice_spb (Flickr) Interestingly in an interview about this topic that also happened today, Apple's head of user privacy Erik Neuenschwander further suggested that users should migrate to other platforms if they are interested in sideloading apps, because there is no way that Apple will support this activity. He went on to say that users trust that apps they download from the App Store will be safe and this is true freedom in essence because people know that won't be tricked into downloading something they don't actually want.

The executive explained how supporting sideloading apps on iOS is much more different and dangerous than being free to download software on Mac, saying that:

Overall, it's clear to see that Apple is in no mood to enable mechanisms for easier sideloading on iOS, and is vehemently against the idea in general. You can read Neuenschwander's interview in detail here.

Apple's latest moves on this topic are in association to lawmakers' ongoing scrutinization of big tech monopolies. The U.S. House Judiciary Committee is planning to debate a set of related bills today including one that could force Apple to allow third-party app stores on its platform.

Source: Apple, Fast Company via MacRumors [1] [2]

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Chromebooks gain new security and accessibility updates for remote learning
      by Jay Bonggolto

Google launched a faster way to sign into some websites with Chrome OS earlier this year without using the password you've created for those sites. Thanks to the company's Web Authentication (WebAuthn) feature, you can log into supported websites using the PIN or your fingerprint you've used to sign in to your Chromebook.

Today, Google announced that it's bringing the ability to log into a Chromebook using a six-digit PIN to education users. The feature will be available starting in August on devices powered by an H1 security chip. You'll be prompted to set up a PIN when you sign into your assigned device. The search giant noted that the new update is meant to support students as they participate in remote classes using the devices assigned by their schools.

Google is also rolling out a new accessibility update in August that will allow students to choose a certain point on their screen with the new Point Scanning navigation mode. It's part of the Switch Access input method for Chromebook that allows users to control their cursor using a built-in keyboard or an external device that connects via USB or Bluetooth. To use this feature, you need to select the horizontal location of your choice first and then choose the vertical location.

In addition, Chrome OS has added a new panning method to its full-screen magnifier that lets you keep the mouse at the center of the screen as the viewport pans with the mouse's movement. Previously, you could only pan the screen when the mouse reaches the edge of the magnified viewport.

Google also released new tutorials for its screen reader ChromeVox. These include a quick orientation and interactive lessons. A new page is also added in the admin console to display the Chrome Insights Reports, which show the Automatic Update Expiration date of a device.

• By zikalify
      EU Commission launches Google antitrust probe over its ad serving
      by Paul Hill

The European Commission has announced that it has opened a formal antitrust investigation into Google to find out whether it favoured its own online display advertising technology services over the competition's ad tech to the detriment of other providers, advertisers, and online publishers.

The Commission will look at a whole range of issues that it’s concerned about in relation to Google's ad practices, but one of the most high-profile items on its list pertains to Chrome’s Privacy Sandbox that will prohibit the use of third-party cookies in favour of Google’s federated cohorts alternative which could hurt other ad providers’ ability to target relevant ads at users.

Google has previously announced that it would prevent third-party advertisers from accessing the advertising identifier on Android if the user decides to opt out of personalised advertising. In its investigation, the EU Commission will examine the effects of this policy on online display advertising and online display advertising intermediation markets.

Commenting on the decision to launch the probe, Executive Vice-President Margrethe Vestager, said:

The Commission has said that it will take into account the GDPR rules which help users maintain their privacy online and that this investigation seeks to ensure that Google is competing fairly with other firms. It said that this “in-depth investigation” will now be carried out as a matter of priority but didn’t state how long it’ll take.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft is issuing DMCA complaints to take down leaked "Windows 11 ISO" links
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Earlier this week, a Windows 11 ISO for build 21996.1 leaked to the web, letting users try out the yet-to-be-announced offering from Microsoft. The build that seems to have been compiled late in May provides a first look at what the Redmond giant is teasing to be the “next generation of Windows”.

As the leaked build does not paint the complete picture of the OS update owing to it being a pre-release version – one that hasn’t even been released to Insiders –, Microsoft seems to want to restrict users from downloading it, which is why it is issuing DMCA complaints to Google (spotted by Fossbytes) in some regions asking the search giant to take down results containing articles from publications with links to the ISO files. Interestingly, in the linked Microsoft Japan complaint, the firm does confirm the Windows 11 name as it is requesting for the removal of “Windows 11” ISOs, claiming that those are leaked copies of “the unreleased Windows 11” OS.

The company is slated to hold a dedicated event to show off Windows 11 on June 24, and it probably (and understandably) wants users and enthusiasts to reserve their judgement about the upcoming update till it is officially unveiled. Components such as the Microsoft Store, which is said to be receiving a major refresh, are yet to be shown off or talked about. Additionally, the leaked version lacks other improvements that will likely be served through the way of Feature Experience Packs that can be delivered without the need for an OS update, something that is currently being targeted only to internal employees.

There is also a lot that is unknown, such as whether there will be a separate update to Windows 10 this fall (version 21H2) and what the update and support lifecycles look like for Windows 11. What seems to be increasingly certain is the ‘Windows 11’ branding, which is present in the About Windows (winver) pop-up, setup process, and even in the DMCA notices.