Ingress - Google's Augmented Reality MMORPG

Mystic Mungis

494516905.jpg

Ingress is just a game. A massively multiplayer alternate-reality game, one that that overlaps with the real world ? so like you walk to actual places (a museum, or library) with your phone to do things in the game, in which you're on a team with potentially millions of people competing against a rival, equally massive team ? but a game nonetheless.

Still, there's something slightly unnerving about the fact that it's Google launching this alternate-reality game as it diligently and publicly pursues the augmented-reality future with its Project Glass concept. Google already creates or dictates a lot of reality in an abstract sense ? whenever you search for something, Google gives you the answer. That is reality according to Google, and it's one you probably accept. With Ingress, Google is toying with reality even as it gets ready to create aspects of it in a real sense with Project Glass, highlighting in a weird way the kind of power Google will have once everybody's got a pair of its glasses strapped to their face.

I'm sure the game is a lot of fun, though! I can't wait to play it. Invite-only for now, and it's out on Android first, but it'll likely make its way to other platforms. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's this kind of massive, reality-warping game that'll end up being the next World of Warcraft ? highly engaging, with millions of totally enraptured players and a sizable place in pop culture. Like Lost, but you're in it.

source

Never really been into augmented reality games, since I live in quite a rural area there is no point in me playing it but if you are interest you can request an invite from the official site :)

• Like 1
Detection

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

Glassed Silver

w00t... awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Requested an invite, maybe I'll have one when I have an secondary Android based smartphone sometime sooner or later. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 1
Buttus

requested an invite the other day, still waiting! people are saying it's pretty cool tho

+Majesticmerc

Sounds like it could be a bit of fun. Signed up :)

SMELTN

if anyone gets in please share invites if you can!!! I would love to get in this. Just bought my Galaxy S3 and wanta try !!

Warboy

Yes I would be interested in a invite if invited people can share them.

exotoxic

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

• Like 1
firey

just registered, hope I get a bit of google love.

sagum

For the rest of us that don't live in a highly populated City with lots of android users, you might be better off playing qonqr. Same idea, already out and you take over cities around you. http://qonqr.com/ The interface isn't as 3D, but the idea is the same.

Cute James

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding...

Wow, that'd be awesome. They could call it, I dunno, "real life", or something...

• Like 1
Mystic Mungis

No problem guys, hope you all get an invite :)

SMELTN

I wonder if it would be possible to make a social networking type thing where you have an avatar that walks around in Google street view and you can chat to other people that you meet, basically an MMOG but with the real world as the surrounding and no fighting :p. Could also include some special meeting places like a zoo, and provide really high quality images with links/videos/info so people could do some learning as well, i would be pretty simple to slip ads in too.

You know the navigation app Waze has a feature VERY similar to this idea and it works great. I know its possible its just a matter of if they implement it in this or not. Great idea though

Geoffrey B.

Put in my email the day they put up the request page. Not sure it would be all that good if I were chosen as I live in a very rural area and the game probably would not have anything in my area.

• 3 weeks later...
Grunt

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

AJerman

Got any extra invites? Should we get an invite thread going? I'd love to try it out.

Edit: Hmm... apparently users may not get invites for this. I've signed up, I'll have to watch the devs on G+ too.

TAZMINATOR

Can't really see me walking around with a 10" tablet, but I`ll signup all the same, look like something I might do when very very drunk :p

Thanks

FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

Geoffrey B.

still waiting for my invite signed up the day it went live. :p

Detection
FYI: They have an app for smartphones for now... not tablets.

My only Android is a tablet :)

TAZMINATOR

My only Android is a tablet :)

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

NOTE: This app is optimized for smartphones, not tablets.

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Detection

I understand that but here is an quote from their app store: (in the description section near the bottom of this section)

You might not be able to install it which it will tell you that your tablet isn't compatible. You try it.

Ah right, yea I have it installed and it runs, it said compatible from the play store for my tab, I can't remember if I made an account yet though

EDIT - Its asking for an activation code so I need to wait for the invite

firey

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Detection

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Pupik

Got my invite last night.

Installed and took a walk to the shops in the snow. I like the idea, but it's bloody cold outside.

Apparently there are a few portals around Aberdeen (Scotland) but not in my vicinity. I'll need to actually take a walk...but again, it's snowing. Not fun!

Can you play with others?

firey

Seems like only 1 person in this thread actually got their invite from a quick read of the thread

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing it based on location too (higher populated areas).

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Google may be building a crowdsourced network of Android devices to help find lost phones
      by Jay Bonggolto

Google already offers a way to locate your device remotely via the Find My Device app and secure your data if your phone is lost. However, the app can find only the devices that are signed in to your Google account.

Now, the search giant may be developing a new feature to help other Android users find their lost devices through crowdsourcing, like Apple's Find My network. A string of code in the latest version of Google Play Services in the beta channel reportedly revealed a "Find My Device Network” that can supposedly let your phone locate your device and other Android handsets as well.

For comparison, Apple’s Find My network relies on a vast network of devices that can help track lost or stolen Apple devices even if these are offline. The Cupertino-based company even expanded its device tracking capability with the debut of the AirTag in April.

With Google's Find My Device network, the company could bank on the large presence of its mobile operating system. This means that any Android smartphone sold outside of China with the Play Services app preloaded will presumably be eligible to join the Find My Device network. It's not known for now, though, whether the feature will release as part of Android 12 as details are limited at the moment.

Source: XDA Developers

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Google Meet's hand raise feature is now more visible with new animation
      by Jay Bonggolto

Google introduced new features for Meet last year meant for education customers, including the ability to virtually raise a hand during a call. The feature, however, was less noticeable especially when you viewed it on the video tile.

That's changing today with a bunch of new updates Google announced for Meet. The latest announcement introduces a fresh animation for hand raise, notification sound, and more.

Google has changed the design of the feature's visual icon with a new animation that makes it more visible on the video tile. The new animation shows up in the bottom-left corner of a video frame with a waving hand. It then expands to show the participant's full name.

Hosts can also move the tiles of participants with raised hands so they can take a more prominent place in the video grid. In addition, there's a new "audio notification for all participants when the first raised hand is raised" and another notification that shows how many raised hands are there, with a link to a list of hand raises in a particular order. After speaking, a participant's virtual hand will then be lowered.

Google says these features are turned on by default. The changes will be available starting today to hosts with Workspace Essentials, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Fundamentals, Education Plus, Nonprofit, and G Suite Business accounts.

• By Fiza Ali
      Google is lending support to India to deal with COVID-19 crisis
      by Fiza Ali

COVID-19 has wreaked havoc on India and with that, many have come forward to lend a helping hand. Governments, organizations, and individuals have joined forces to help the people of India deal with this health crisis and large-scale pandemic emergencies. In this ordeal, the tech giant, Google, has also made sure to support India by providing the right tools people require to keep up to date with the latest information and research about COVID-19. The company also announced grants worth $18 million to aid emergency relief work, in April, through Google.org.

Google has played a key role in aiding the non-profit organizations working in India to get urgent help to the people in need along with strengthening public health campaigns and providing authentic health information. With a major focus on rural areas of India, Google is working towards developing workforce and healthcare infrastructure as the country is emerging from the health crisis it faced during the past months. It is also aiding ARMMAN, Apollo Medskills, PATH, and GiveIndia to develop oxygen generation plants.

With new grants worth $15 million to PATH and GiveIndia, Google.org will also be aiding in the procurement and installation of almost 80 oxygen generation plants in healthcare facilities located in rural and high-need areas. Both the organizations, PATH and GiveIndia, will collaborate to supervise the oxygen generation project. Google will aid Apollo Medskills as well to give frontline health workers specialized training in COVID-19 management.

Google has also committed to providing a $500,000 grant to the non-profit organization, ARMMAN that will provide skill development programs to 40,000 Auxiliary Nurse Midwives (ANMs) and Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs) in 15 states of India.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Google's Messages app is rolling out end-to-end encryption for everyone
      by Jay Bonggolto

Earlier last year, a report claimed that Google was planning to add end-to-end encryption (EE2E) for RCS messaging in the Messages app. The feature has long been available on Apple's iMessage, and its absence on Messages has been a letdown from a security standpoint. In November of that year, however, the company turned on EE2E for RCS messaging on Android, albeit only for beta testers.

Today, Google announced that the security feature is rolling out for everyone in the Messages app. Like the beta version, the latest release supports only one-on-one conversations for the time being. This means messages sent in group chats won't be encrypted. Also, EE2E works only if both participants in a conversation have turned on the RCS chat features.

It's easy to figure out if a message you are sending is encrypted when you see a lock icon attached to the send button. This makes it difficult for anyone to intercept your message as it is being transmitted.

Google is rolling out the security feature alongside a bunch of other Android updates unveiled earlier today including the starred messages and the release of Android's earthquake alert system globally. Furthermore, the operating system has added new contextual suggestions in Emoji Kitchen, the ability to open and access apps using your voice, gaze detection for Voice Access, and new customization options in Android Auto.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      You will soon be able to star a message in the Android Messages app
      by Jay Bonggolto

In April of this year, Google expanded the Android earthquake alerts system to Greece and New Zealand, where users can receive notifications about earthquakes in those countries. Google today announced a new expansion for that feature along with new updates for Android that focus on new experiences and improved security.

The alert system is now rolling out in regions where the risk of earthquake is high including Turkey, the Philippines, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. People in these countries will get notifications a few seconds before an earthquake happens. Google is expanding it to more countries over the coming year.

Google is also launching a new capability in the Messages app that will let you star an important message. It's available from today and will go live to more users over the next few weeks. To get started, you can simply tap and hold a message to star it. You can then visit the starred category to view messages you've marked as important.

The Emoji Kitchen is also adding contextual suggestions after you've composed a message. It's available from today in Gboard beta. It's set to exit beta in the summer and will go live for messages written in English, Spanish, and Portuguese on devices running Android 6.0 or later.

Android now also lets you open and access apps using your voice. In addition, Voice Access has added gaze detection in beta so you can use your voice to navigate your phone or an app only when you're looking at the screen. Google has also improved its password input so you can input letters, numbers, and symbols using your voice when a password field is detected.

Finally, Android Auto has received new customization options such the ability to change your launcher screen directly from your mobile device and turn on dark mode. It also gained a “back to top” option and new tabs in the media apps so you can browse content more easily. Messaging apps are also now available directly via the launcher screen while EV charging, parking, and navigation apps are now accessible in Android Auto. These features are live globally on phones running Android 6.0 or later.