Ingress - Google's Augmented Reality MMORPG

Grunt

Looking at the chat logs for Enlightened in a 20km radius, there were 2 other people talking.

My mate got his invite too but we've not met up today.

Geoffrey B.

Not surprisingly (considering my luck with D3, and various other betas I wanted to get into), I am yet to get an invite. Signed up the day the site went live, and a couple times after that.

i have been in every Blizzard Beta and several google Beta's a hundreds of other random beta tests however i do not think i have ever waited this long to get into a beta before lol.

Pupik

Got invite today too after waiting for about a month. And meh, **** crashes too much.

Tested it while walking the dog and couldn't do really much. Just collected a few xm and hacked a terminal that the game created for me as there was no portal available near by. And all these two poor missions were done with about 12 crashes. Had to restart the phone a few times too, as I couldn't force close the application and it was stuck in the background with frozen picture (every time you opened the application) and sucking up battery life by communicating to the server and using the GPS.

Will try to skip the tutorial section and give it another go tomorrow. If it will keep crashing, I'll just wait for the final version.

firey

Got in last night. Did the first bit of the tutorial (Collecing XM) however there are no terminals near me, even when it says it will make one. Will have to give it a go tonight.

Dotdot

Just to add a bit of fuel to those awaiting a key. I got mine about a week ago. Not had time to check it out yet tho :(

But I signed up a good while ago, i.e about a month or so at least.

• 4 weeks later...
j1232

Just received my invite today . . finally after three month wait. .

• 4 weeks later...
+Majesticmerc

I got mine ages ago and I still haven't played it yet :(

• 4 months later...
TFindley

Has anyone got a spare invite code for Ingress? It would be really appreciated if one could be sent my way.

• 2 months later...
conna

Out of invites. Been playing for over a month now. Level 4 now. It is best played with a group. My family plays and we are pretty effective in taking over portals. Especially the drive by ones. Started off slow because of minimal nearby portals but the game lets you add them into the game.  

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Nokia 8.3 5G is going for a $120 discount on Amazon
      by Jay Bonggolto

Amazon is offering the Nokia 8.3 5G with a $120 discount right now. The phone is going for $579, down from its original retail price of $699.

For that price, you'll get 8GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage. The device comes in Polar Night and it is unlocked for all carriers.

Announced in March of last year alongside the Nokia 5.3 and Nokia 1.3, the Nokia 8.3 5G was the first device to use Qualcomm's 5G RF Front end module. It's powered by a Snapdragon 765 SoC and sports a 6.81-inch FullHD+ PureDisplay.

On its back, it has a PureView quad-camera setup with a 64MP main sensor and ZEISS branding. The camera module is housed in a circular bump with Nokia's logo to its south. It's backed up by a 4,500mAh battery.

The device was launched in the U.S. in the fall of 2020 a few months after its debut in Europe, where it is available with 6GB of RAM and 64GB of storage in addition to the higher memory configuration. If you want to snap up the phone today, the Nokia 8.3 5G is available to purchase for $579 via Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Google's mobile search experience introduces a visual redesign
      by Jay Bonggolto

Google announced today a fresh look for its search experience on mobile. The goal is to make search results easier to read and introduce a more modern design to its mobile search.

Aileen Cheng, who oversaw the visual redesign, shared a few details about the new look. One of the notable changes is the addition of more roundness to the overall search experience. This can be seen in the Google logo, icons, search bar, and imagery in what Cheng described as a “Googley” feeling.

Google also replaced the shaded boxes around individual search results with straight lines as part of the new edge-to-edge design. Cheng noted that this aims to create "more breathing room" and help users immediately see what they're looking for.

In addition, search results are easier to read with the use of "larger, bolder text". The result and section titles are bigger in the new design. Google is also bringing its own font, which is already used in some of its products such as Gmail and Android, to the mobile search experience.

There’s also a bit of a cleaner background and new color that are meant to highlight important parts of the results page. Google says these changes are rolling out over the next few days.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Google Chrome adds experimental share button in Custom Tabs
      by Jay Bonggolto

In 2015, Google introduced Custom Tabs to Chrome on Android to provide a smooth transition from app to web content without resorting to a WebView. Compared to WebViews, the feature loads faster and allows apps to customize their web experience.

However, Custom Tabs do not have a default sharing experience on the app bar that users can tap to post content to their social media accounts, for example. This is compounded by the lack of a sharing option in most apps that use Custom Tabs.

That said, users can still find a share option by tapping on the overflow menu in the browser. In that case, however, users may have to leave the app and open the link in the browser, which reduces engagement for the app.

Google is trying to address this problem with a new experimental feature in Chrome 88. The browser is adding a default share action in certain conditions. It will show up in the top bar when an app has not set its own Action Button. In case an app already has an Action Button, a default share option will appear in the overflow menu.

The default share experience will be added automatically as long as the app doesn't provide an Action Button. That means users don't have to do anything to enable the new share action button. It remains to be seen when and if other browsers will adopt a similar feature.

• By indospot
      The YouTube app for Xbox now supports HDR videos
      by João Carrasqueira

In the summer of 2016, Microsoft introduced the Xbox One S, bringing support for HDR to the Xbox family for the first time. Now, after four and a half years, Google has implemented HDR video support into the YouTube app on Xbox consoles, as reported by FlatpanelsHD (via Windows Central).

HDR has become a fairly standard feature in modern TVs and every iteration of the Xbox since 2016 has supported it. YouTube itself also added support for HDR videos later that year, so it's certainly interesting that it took this long for those two things to come together.

It's not completely clear when the capability was added to the YouTube app, but FlatpanelsHD points out that it wasn't available on the Xbox Series X back in December. The report confirms HDR is working on both the Series X and the One S, and there's no reason why it wouldn't also work with the One X and Series S.

You'll need to make sure you have the latest version of the app for HDR to work, or you can download the app from here if you haven't yet. While HDR support in the YouTube app is good news, it doesn't look like it's working as well as some might hope just yet. The app only supports HDR in videos using Google's VP9, instead of adopting the more modern AV1 format, which has also been backed by Google. Hopefully, a future update will address that issue.

• By zikalify
      Alphabet's Loon not commercially viable and is due to shut
      by Paul Hill

Alphabet’s Loon has announced that it’s shutting down. The project delivered the internet to cut off communities using stratospheric balloons. X’s Captain of Moonshots Astro Teller said that the Loon subsidiary was not commercially viable describing the project as “riskier than hoped.”

In the coming months, Teller said that Alphabet will begin winding down Loon and that employees “will be moving on.” A small group of the Loon team is going to wrap up operations in places like Kenya where the project is being used to deliver connectivity. For those that have come to rely on Loon, the service will be going away but Alphabet will share what it has learned with telcos, mobile network operators, governments, NGOs and technology companies to help find replacement technology.

Some innovations developed by the project live on according to Teller who said:

While it’s a shame that Loon could not become commercially viable, there are alternative solutions that are being built to help connect those with poor or no internet connectivity. While still expensive, Elon Musk’s SpaceX has been creating its Starlink constellation which delivers speeds of 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s from space.