Ipod Killer

It seems iRiver has joined the hard drive crowd, right now its maxed at 20gigs, i have the latest slimX and i love it, can't wait till they get to 40 gigs. :whistle: :devil: .check it out for yourself and write what you think iRiver

Now the looks don't convince me, I'd like to see some better pictures, you can't relly get a good size comparison from those pictures. There are 2 things stopping me getting the iPod at the moment, 8 hour battery life at it's very best won't last a working day, and there's no radio. iRiver quotes 14 hours to Apples quote of 8 and it also has an FM radio. Not to mention it supports MP3, WMA and OGG. Along with recording off of the radio.

I'll put off getting the iPod and await some reviews of this along with some decent pictures.

they say one in a week or so but the battery life is true they are using some new kind of battery and the guy said said the first 10 gig one has that battery life. You get a buttload more features than you would get with an ipod also if you know iRiver they always change the design for future models so it can only get better.

I would buy an iPod but again like Dazzla says, the 8 hour battery life is limiting. Apple only have to double the amount of memory buffer from 32mb to 64mb and hence reduce hard drive reads, thus increasing battery life of the iPod. Why they haven't done this is beyond me.

ss1.

theres a bunch of mp3 players out there that do more than the ipod for less money, but people seem to choose form over function.

Like what? That ****ty dell crap?

The iRiver looks better to me then the iPod (OGG Support), but it costs more :(

theres a bunch of mp3 players out there that do more than the ipod for less money, but people seem to choose form over function.

well one good reason for an ipod is most players don't support macs, and if they do it's not very good support

and to my experience so far, i've yet to see an mp3 player that is able to sync with my computer like the ipod, it does more than transfer songs to and fro, it does a full sync or everything in iTunes

also teh ipod is quite a usually smaller and lighter than the other players out there (though some are pretty close)

i do like the fact this thing supports ogg, i really like ogg and i wish that itunes and ipod would support it

I was just checking out the specs and the 120 is roughly the same size as the iPod :blink: I thought it was huge but the difference isn't much at all.

iRiver = 60(W) X 19(D) X 105(H)mm - 160g

iPod = 60(W) X 16(D) X 104(H)mm - 158g

So the difference isn't much at all, the screen is better on the iRiver as well, features are better, format support is better with MP3, OGG and WMA with AAC coming in a firmware revision, it has a built in radio which you can record off of. Damn, this is freaking sweet. I've also found a picture which I think shows it off the best, almost looking as good as the iPod :|

Edit, one thing I noticed though, the US version looks real black but on the EU website it looks kinda grey :/ anyone know if this is just different photos or 2 different models?

post-7-1067537625.jpg

wow that looks really good, i like the black design.. is there a black ipod? ive seen them on the boxes (but i dont know if it is a color option)

I think you're referring to the iPod picture on the box of gen3...it's still a white iPod, but it's in darkness to highlight the illuminated buttons and screen.

I don't think it's out yet though. I brought up some great points as to why this player should be considered instead of a Ipod in another post. Here there are again...

The price is the same for the Ipod 20 gig so if you're willing to spend the dough on the Ipod then this isn't a issue. Besides there are reasons for the price...

1. The remote --- a lot more functional than the crap Ipod packs. definitely better than zens plastic remote which died on me after a month of use. Builtin FM tuner/voice recording just like the Zen's

2. Uses a Lithium Polymer instead of Ion. This increases the playback time dramatically. Tests have shown to be around 13+hrs of playback (my Zen dies at exactly 7hrs 15mins)

3. Dimesions are almost exactly the same as the Ipod 20 gig...

Ipod 20 gig

Height: 4.1 in

Width: 2.4 in

Depth: 0.62 in

IRiver

Height: 4.13

Width: 2.36

Depth: 0.75

4. the player is treated like a usb harddrive. this means you will be able to drag/drop to and from the drive as if it was like any other drive on your system. no more bloated software to install just to access your player.

EDIT: 5. Like xpatx mentions, IRiver makes sure that issues/firmware are added periodically. Can't say the same for the guys over at Creative. I haven't gotten a firmware update since I think May. There are newer Zen models out now with the firmware update that include new features/issues corrected. It's as if Creative has forgotten about early adopters.

I used to be a proud owner of the Zen up until a couple of months ago. Every recharge now requires a "cleaning" of the OS or the music will sound like crap. Plus, the remote is horrible. Not even after a month of use the thing had already died on me. Also, playback time just doesn't cut it for me. Before the end of my work day, my player is already dead. I've had enough of it. I will definitely be looking into the IRiver as a possible christmas present to myself

Here's a preview over at IGN...

http://gear.ign.com/articles/457/457194p1.html

That's not the new version though Dazzla. Thats the 10gig model thats been out for a bit. I don't think the 20 gig is out in stores yet.

Look a few lines down, you can pre order it.

Found it for sale in the UK for ?350, only ?50 dearer than the 20GB iPod. It's silver though and not blac:/:/

http://www.mp3players.co.uk/site/uk/ihp.html

mate.. if you want black, get it from the american estore if you can't find it anywhere else.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/estore.asp

they only ship to US and Canada, but as an option, you can have it shipped to my address and I can ship it to you. you know i wouldn't screw you.

like i said.. its an optio:):)