Ipod Killer

O, which one is really better? There no real answer to that as it's based on opinions.

Dazzla wants the iriver simply because it's battery life and radio. If you already have 20gb of music, what is the point of a radio?

iPod will most likely increase it's battery life as time progresses, but right now...it's just opinions. Wiat until the iPod will have built-it voice recorder/radio recorder, then without a doubt iPod will dominate. Although it already dominates. :p

O, which one is really better? There no real answer to that as it's based on opinions.

Dazzla wants the iriver simply because it's battery life and radio. If you already have 20gb of music, what is the point of a radio?

iPod will most likely increase it's battery life as time progresses, but right now...it's just opinions. Wiat until the iPod will have built-it voice recorder/radio recorder, then without a doubt iPod will dominate. Although it already dominates.  :p

Why again does it dominate? Or will rather? You guys have no basis on your opinions besides the milky white look. Why wait for another Ipod generation to have the same features when you can just get it now for the same price. You fanboys are a little much sometimes. :p Can't you guys just be a little more openminded for once.

And radio is not just for music. Remember about talk shows (Howard Stern mainly) and the news??

iPod will most likely increase it's battery life as time progresses, but right now...it's just opinions. Wiat until the iPod will have built-it voice recorder/radio recorder, then without a doubt iPod will dominate. Although it already dominates.?:pp

Why again does it dominate? Or will rather? You guys have no basis on your opinions besides the milky white look. Why wait for another Ipod generation to have the same features when you can just get it now for the same price. You fanboys are a little much sometimes. :pp Can't you guys just be a little more openminded for once.

And radio is not just for music. Remember about talk shows (Howard Stern mainly) and the news??

SPORTS!

I saw an iPod (20gb) today when I walked past a store. Amazing player, but ?499 for a MP3 player is a bit too much for me. For that money I want at least a functinality to play DivX/Xvid on it on a decent full color screen.

Think about it, the iPod is way overpriced... it is extremely sexy sure, but you are paying way too much for it.

Next to it there was some kind of Achros (??) jukebox thing with a 60gb harddisk a full color screen and it plays DivX/Xvid.... it was ?799. Steep price, but still I'd prefer it over an iPod, it is not as sexy, but damn it can do anything you want, while the iPod just plays M:/ :/

Well MP3 players are not my thing, I rather listen to the radio. We have some great DJ's on Radio 3FM here in Holland which are nice to listen too. I rather listen to the radio most of the time then listen to a bunch of MP3's that I already heard millions of times (I get bored very very quick if it comes to music).

Lucky me, now I don't have to put big bags of cash on the store counter, I can just buy myself a nice tiny FM radio which doesn't cost more then ?40 or something.

This is what I will buy, more then enough for my needs:

act_100.jpg

I thought this aswell but I checked in the forums at www.mp3players.co.uk and they said that it can't. I have bought from them before and they have always correctly answered my questions correctly so I have no reason to doubt them :)

Listen, basically all the things the iRiver can do, the iPod can do as well. ;)

The reason I saw iPod will domiate is because I'v seen some mockups of the possible future design and they really do implement movie support than it will truly dominate. And knowing Apple, they will try there hardest to give us the best. :D

Right now I am null because I am not really looking for a MP3 Player, but in the future I'll have to see which one is truly better.

Listen, basically all the things the iRiver can do, the iPod can do as well. ;)

The reason I saw iPod will domiate is because I'v seen some mockups of the possible future design and they really do implement movie support than it will truly dominate. And knowing Apple, they will try there hardest to give us the best. :D

Right now I am null because I am not really looking for a MP3 Player, but in the future I'll have to see which one is truly better.

err again we're back to the same comment. the Ipod does not have all the features that the Iriver has. For now, all it's got going for it are its looks, which I don't care for.

That mockup was done by a artist. Has nothing to do with Apple. It was how envisioned a player might be. The whole video on the go thing is pointless if you ask me. When will you ever have time to actually watch something on it besides when you're sitting on the toilet or on a plane???

Oooooh pretty...

I've got a 128mb MuVo and I love the little thing...My biggest problem with it is that the proported 10 hour battery life is more like a 2 hour battery life...3 with energiser titaniums ;)

When will you ever have time to actually watch something on it besides when you're sitting on the toilet or on a plane???

Well there are pretty many scenarios, like travelling in a bus having nothing to do, in a friend's car, waiting for someone in a restaurant, etc.

For the amount of money these players cost, I won't be getting either of them any time soon, but if i had to chose one it would be the iRiver, here in my country we have a lot of useful things on radio to care about and the audio recorder can come in handy and not to mention more battery life, and the screen is more informative. I agree that the ipod is very convenient and has lots of user friendly features but I still think ipod sells more because of the looks.

Either wasys, backto my original point I think that these price tags are ridiculous for mere aduio players, granted it has lots of space and etc, but I'm not willing to pay that much for something i want to store and play my music with.

deadmonkey just said above that you cant record from the radio with the iriver....its only a tuner...and even though the ipod doesnt have a built in tuner and recorder...you can always buy a small addon to it...

and i myslef wouldnt buy a small mp3 player to watch videos in...waste of battery...if u ask me..

and looks are a big factor...

and looks are a big factor...

Not for me though, I'd go for functionality and working rather than the looks anyday. What you said is more of an opinion.

av_320.en.jpg

http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500570.html

Now thats one thing that both the iPod and iRiver dont have... a 80GB USB2.0 hard disk + MP3 Player + Video Player + Camera + Camcorder :p

compare prices

iPod (40GB) - $499.00

iRiver iHP - 120 (20GB) - $399.99

Archos AV380 (80GB!) - $499.90

hmmmmm

I have the OLD OLD Archos Jukebox 6000 (6GB) I got that as a gift and back then it was a BIG thing an mp3 player with 6GB of storage and also use it as a HDD.back then i think there were only 128 mb like mp3 players. I used to take it to parties and replace the DJ. oh yea use it for backup too.

350_1.jpg

http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/iMP-350.asp

now i have the iRiver SlimX 350 and its sweet and i got it for almost free and works like a charm.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/iMP-350.asp

ooops im soorry abt the pricing for the AV380 its 899.95 :blush: sorry

Let me compare them again with same storage space...

20GB

iPod - $399.00

iRiver - $399.00

Archos AV320 - $599.95 http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500542_specs.html

Archos AV120 - $399.95 http://www.archos.com/products/special_offers.html

Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 - $ 224.95 http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500277_specs.html

Edited by ProfessorX

reading half the thread and the arguing is silly imo. people will buy what they see is best anyhow. i bought an ipod for a quick 40g solution. i was going to wait out for the 40 rio karma. bit it is rather thick.

but in essence people buy walkmen to listen to music. they all do what they say on the box :) me myself doesnt even use any special features ( remotes playlists etc etc ) just browse the artists and i go

:)

pocket pc is expensive...(the good quality ones)

mp3 player should include support for full lenghth movies? wtf...thats stupid..yuo know how much battery life it woiiuld drain..? how much more expensive it would be for the lcd screen...

were talking mp3 players....not full featured portable jukebox..

ProfessorX: the iriver slimx is a very good cd player...but thats only if you dont have lots and lots of mp3s...(thats what harddrive players are for) :) and also..teh archos ones you posted..have u seen the dimensions on that thing...wow...were lookng for mp3 players that are comparable in size to the ipod(ihp-120)...even though i still love ipod :)