Windows Phone 8 users report random reboots and battery issues

Windows Phone 8 users report random reboots and battery issues

Windows Phone 8 devices have been available since the beginning of the month and users are starting to report early issues across HTC and Nokia handsets. In a thread over at WPCentral with 143 replies, a variety of HTC 8X users report that handsets randomly reboot while in use. A thread on Microsoft's own support forums has also gained 50 replies complaining about the issues. The Verge can confirm that an 8X we are testing has rebooted on more than one occasion.

Nokia Lumia 920 users are also reporting random reboots and freezes, with some complaining of poor battery life too. In a thread on Nokia's support forums, a number of users appear to be complaining of lock ups and resets with the Lumia 920. Battery life issues have led to some users wiping their devices in hope of a quick fix, unfortunately that seems to have resulted in some devices left stuck on a Nokia splash screen. In our own experience with several Windows Phone 8 devices, we've found that disabling the tap + send (NFC) feature results in improved battery life. We have reached out to Microsoft, HTC, and Nokia to discuss the issues and we'll update you accordingly.

Source: The Verge

Interesting, haven't had any issues with my 8X yet, although I was thinking a bit before launch that with these unibody designs what happens when it locks up. I would say its rare but my WP7 device locked up a cpl times and removing the battery was the only way to reboot. I guess you could wait for the battery to drain. Will be interesting to see what comes of it but I always have BT and NFC disabled until I need them otherwise yeah just chewing battery, only a cpl of taps to quickly re-enable them.

I have waited a week before I coming to any conclusions. The verdict is my battery is draining faster than it should. Turning off every service on your new phone isn't how it should be. Just a small example, gleek and a battery monitor is all that I had allowed for background tasks and I put the phone in my pocket at 90% about 25 min later it had gone down 10%. Medium brightness. Started angry birds star wars at 43% after 10 min I got a battery warning, phone was at 10%.

So I've started to participate in those threads the OP posted. A week in and I doubt MS or Nokia will acknowledge issues with these phones. I'll be on the phone with AT&T in the morning. If I get hassled for a replacement 920 I may just replace the OS entirely.

I've had mine restart 8x, I thought the battery died, but still had 20%~ left.

One issue thats driving me bonkers, is it takes 15 seconds to connect to wifi after you wake the device up. Why can't they always be connected like my iphone :(

I went from the Lumia 900 to 920.

Other than hangs and reboots I've enjoyed the experience.

Uninstalled FB and nokia Maps and Drive as a safety.

I got BT issues, my car hates this phone right now to the point where I can stream music but get no navigation options from my steering wheel or locks the phone. The LTE option causing network drops which I experienced quite a bit, 0 drops when I switch to 3G or 2G.

I turned off all phone features, starting with BT, WiFi, NFC then even switching to 3G then 2G. I even turned off the high sensitive setting on the screen. Turned off backup options and rebooted the phone so it would save those settings. I notice even if you change a setting it wouldn't really save if it rebooted 30 min later....

Any other ideas? Mind you it's running atm... I'll test bluetooth later since my phone doesn't "lock with password"