Internet Explorer 10 fonts fuzzy in Windows 8

Hi Guys,

I am using Windows 8 and the fonts in internet explorer 10 are really fuzzy. I looked around on the net and problem seems to be started from IE 9 and there is a fix for this for IE9 from Microsoft. But for IE 10 there is no fix. I did used clear type to cure this but no luck.

Please help.

They removed full ClearType (color) subpixel anti-aliasing in Windows 8 and IE10 and kept only greyscale anti-aliasing. Windows 7 version of IE10 is not affected.

Could you post a screenshot? I personally find the hardware accelerated DirectWrite method of font smoothing very good, sometimes better than ClearType, which is used everywhere else.

They removed full ClearType (color) subpixel anti-aliasing in Windows 8 and IE10 and kept only greyscale anti-aliasing. Windows 7 version of IE10 is not affected.

That's partially correct.

RGB-based SPAA is still there in most areas of the desktop environment. It's totally gone in Metro though.

Could you post a screenshot? I personally find the hardware accelerated DirectWrite method of font smoothing very good, sometimes better than ClearType, which is used everywhere else.

Here you go, IE9/Win7 left, IE10 Win8 right

post-289974-0-16311100-1353445222.png

That's partially correct.

RGB-based SPAA is still there in most areas of the desktop environment. It's totally gone in Metro though.

Considering he was asking about IE, by "Windows 8" and IE10, I meant Metro and in IE10. :rolleyes:

What driver version do you have install? The reason why I ask is because I don't have the same problem on my setup so I'm wondering whether it has something to do with the drivers themselves assuming that everything else is remained as the default settings. I have a NVidia GeForce GT 620 and I don't see the issues appearing so I'm wondering whether it is a mixture of hardware and driver version.

In short, this ugly font rendering affects the Metro UI, Metro style apps including IE and desktop IE. You can't do anything to fix it. This "fixed", terrible font-rendering is fully optimized for tablets and small new laptops. They completely ignored traditional PC users in general on Windows 8, it's well known.

Fortunately IE10 on Windows 7 will be better and you can apply all previous tricks to fix it, like Compatibility mode, HWA on/off or playing with Cleartype settings.

However, you just use Chrome and you're more than fine either on 8 or 7. As for the Metro apps, you delete all of them and you're done. You will only have to deal with this rendering on your normal shortcuts on Start-Screen.

As for the Metro apps, you delete all of them and you're done.

Not all Metro applications use the same font rendering. The only ones that have the same font rendering as IE... are the ones being rendered by IE, i.e, HTML based applications. The other XAML based ones can continue to use either Silverlight's less than ideal text stack, or DirectWrite.

I just zoomed on your screenshot and confirmed it: the one on the left uses RGB Subpixel AA, the one on the right is grayscale. RGB looks much, much nicer when configured correctly, but with this new tablet craze the problem is that displays turn and rotate and then RGB looks horrible. So Microsoft decided to use the mediocre solution for everyone :s

I thought it was just my eyes, I was also having this problem but in windows explorer, that was with a upgrade from 7 to8 but did a format and full install , now it's gone.

• 1 month later...

ClearType doesn't helping.

IE10 (Metro UI Mode) for me is working better than Chrome and Firefox.

I can't find a fix for this (really bad) font rendering and need to stay on Chrome.

• 8 months later...

still dont understand why peoiple think this is unique to windows 8.

The problem sstarted in IE9 where they disabled the ability ro disable cleartype in IE.

In IE9 it could be overriden using this dll.  (dll forces behaviour of chrome/ff)

http://www.softwareninjas.ca/dwrite-dll-wrapper

However this dll does not work on IE10/11 so sadly my IE is stuck on IE9 until a workaround is found which noone seems to have done.

• 1 year later...

This bug affects Windows 10 preview with Internet Explorer 11 as well.

Not workaround at this time.