Bioware Asks For Mass Effect 4 Suggestions

Bioware Asks For Mass Effect 4 Suggestions

"Would you be more interested in a game that takes place before the trilogy, or after?"

Bioware has requested the help of fans in deciding whether the next Mass Effect game takes place before or after the events of the Mass Effect trilogy.

Mass Effect executive producer Casey Hudson took to Twitter to ask gamers for their input about when they'd like to see the next title take place.

"Parsing through your thoughts on the next #ME game," he revealed. "Would you be more interested in a game that takes place before the trilogy, or after?"

It's not the first time Hudson has asked for player feedback about the next Mass Effect title; earlier this month he revealed that a new Mass Effect game was in the early stages of development, though admitted the team was still uncertain regarding story specifics.

We also know that the next game will go somewhere new and won?t star a character similar to Shepard, but this latest tidbit of information raises quite an interesting dilemma. If the team decide to pursue a prequel, they need to be careful not to conflict with any of the series' already-established canon, while a sequel would need to be set sufficiently far in the future that the varying endings of Mass Effect 3 don't create continuity problems, unless of course previous choices are once again incorporated as was the case between the original games.

It seems the team are aware of this though; earlier this month BioWare Montreal studio director Yanick Roy revealed that the next Mass Effect title "will be very respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games."

What do you think? Would you prefer to see Mass Effect 4 take place before or after the events of the Mass Effect trilogy?

I'd prefer a prequel. Either dealing with races in the previous cycles like Protheans or Inosanon. Come to think of it , playing as a Salarian in the Rachni Wars might be pretty interesting.

They have a lot to work from with a prequel (e.g. Rachni Wars, First Contact War, Metacon War (Prothean war against the Reapers). I think I'd rather see that than a sequel. They'd have to choose one of the possible endings in Mass Effect 3 for a sequel which would anger some fans.

I'm personally leaning towards a prequel as well, an awful lot of material to work with. Something coming after Mass Effect 3 is bound to irk a portion of the fanbase no matter what they do. Also as a request.. don't mess with the formula.. stick with what made the ME series one of the best action RPG's. Streamlining is good.. dumbing down is not.

I'd like to see a game that explores Prothean history in more detail, but playing in the actual Prothean war knowing that you're doomed to fail would be a bit of a downer in my opinion.

Something with more exploring, more open world and perhaps something that focuses more on a plot very different to the original, it could even be at the same time from a different perspective.

Hows about playing as a krogen or a geth?

I'd like to see a game that explores Prothean history in more detail, but playing in the actual Prothean war knowing that you're doomed to fail would be a bit of a downer in my opinion.

worked for Halo: Reach

A prequel would far more interesting. The more 'developed' a games story becomes, the harder it is to imagine further plot developments. Something around the first contact or soon after would be pretty interesting stuff to work with.

I want a sequal because we all know a prequel is going to end with the terms set in ME3's ending.

So I'd want BioWare to have a "fresh start" so to speak. Don't put too much on their plate and keep low expectations on them.

I want a sequal because we all know a prequel is going to end with the terms set in ME3's ending.

So I'd want BioWare to have a "fresh start" so to speak. Don't put too much on their plate and keep low expectations on them.

I think i agree...sequel would be more interesting somewhere far in the future. Not 100 years far, but lets say 1000-5000. Wont happen though :D

If prequel, maybe previous peak in civilization would be good.

Controller support for the PC version. Not excuses for wasting our time.

Also bring back the texture quality from Mass Effect 1, ME3 on PC looked worse than the first for character models, very blurry and low resolution.

Definitely sequel. As for multiple endings.

We all know these games all only have one "official"ending as far as sequels go. It's been done before and it'll happen again. The reapers are destroyed, the rest are "alternate" endings

I am not sure if the protheans were doomed ... It could be that some actually survived just like the Leviathans ... Javic could be just 1 of many ... say no more than 10 000 - galaxy is a huge place even for the mighty Reapers ... never the less I do agree with you I would love a prequel althoug I would similarly give my 60-100$ to a sequel set in the near future after sheppard dies and he has blue kids (or if need be some other 3 fingered creation) ....

Plenty of stuff in this game to create a true masterpiece bigger than Halo .... Imagine salarians licking their eye or was it eating flies ... jellyfish ... the amount of ideas these guys could exploint is almost endless even with the fucup of EA and ME3 - I do blame EA and not Bioware for ME3 ...

A few ideas (spoiler free):

PREQUEL with Javik as the main character, following the events leading up to his "incarceration".

SEQUEL set about a year after ME3.

Follows the fallout and struggle for resources within the Sol system after the Reapers are dealt with, and the Mass Relays are destroyed. Desperate attempts by scientists from all sides working on the theory that the Omega 4 relay is still active, and trying to scrape together resources to build a mass relay based on the limited knowledge they have. All the while the major military powers in the Galaxy are fighting between themselves over the limited resources available in the Sol system. The Turians and the Humans are engaged in an all-out war, the other species are forming various allegiances in the midst of the conflict.

IN-BETWEEN-QUEL set during Shepherd's downtime during ME2. Following Garrus, Tali, Liara, etc while they move on and how they end up where they are.

Definitely sequel. As for multiple endings.

We all know these games all only have one "official"ending as far as sequels go. It's been done before and it'll happen again. The reapers are destroyed, the rest are "alternate" endings

I didn't get that impression, especially not with extended cut. They push Synthesis as being the best ending and destroy as being the worse

I didn't get that impression, especially not with extended cut. They push Synthesis as being the best ending and destroy as being the worse

They seemed to be pushed pretty equally to me, but synthesis definitely had the evil and egotistical feeling hence why that's not going to be the official one.

I also suspect that most people would have saved the quarians over the geth and such the choice of killings all synths are kind of ... Not as big as it should be. There's Edi, but then you're back to the ego thing. As for the alle Quarian/?geth thing, it's probably the part I'm least satisfied ith, as they never make it clear only one of them can survive untill after you make the choice. And the whole fight till extinction mentality on both sides don't make sense either.