'God Told Me to Drive 100 mph'

FORT PIERCE, FL - A motorist who was blowing her horn and going 100 mph in a 30-mph zone on U.S. 1 in Fort Pierce at 1 a.m. Tuesday told officers God told her to do it.

Regardless, Melissa Miller, 41, of Port St. Lucie, was arrested on charges of reckless driving and speeding.

She was taken to the St. Lucie County Jail and placed under a $375 bail. In addition to reckless driving, the resident of the 400 block of Northwest Marsala Terrace, is charged with violation of her probation for leaving the scene of an accident with injuries.

After she was stopped, an officer quoted her as saying she was speeding "because I was letting the Lord spirit guide me," according to a police report. She attributed her lengthy horn blowing to "the Lord telling me to do it."

The incident started in the 600 block of U.S. 1 when an officer saw a silver Toyota going south on U.S. 1 while its horn was sounding for 10 seconds and an arm was stuck out the window. When the officer attempted to stop the vehicle, it picked up speed, swerved across two southbound lanes, almost hitting a curb, as two vehicles were going north, the report said.

The car finally turned west onto Virginia Avenue and stopped. Auto Rescue towed her vehicle away.

She was apologetic, but when asked how fast she was going, she said, "'Yes, 100 mph,'" police said.

source