Alexa ranks Neowin as "very slow".

The page Alexa - The Web Information Company got an overall PageSpeed Score of 60 (out of 100). Learn more

The page Neowin - Where unprofessional journal... got an overall PageSpeed Score of 92 (out of 100).Learn more

I'm not sure what's slowing us down other than 3rd party javascript (social media and ads). I'm not trying to defend anything.. if it feels slow then it is slow but I'm not sure what more we can do

edit: the site is fast for me atm

Site seems fine to me except for when you post it sometimes takes about 15 seconds to post

Also regarding the money thing its mostly crap

It says my sites earns over ?2000 per month, if that was the case i would not work as many hours as i am lol

Size of the main page (with images) is roughly 770kb, without facebook it'd been even less, same with the twitter crap as well. Go compare it to other sites where you have 7mb main pages (verge :p)

Something is wrong when someone says it's acceptable to have a 770kb home page.

Network test: i should point out the actual page loaded to a viewable state after around 4 or 5 seconds, but thats still quite excessive, i think it's basically the sheer size of the content being loaded on top of 3rd party data.

The second longed load request for me in this instance was the actual page, then in at 2nd some 3rd party thing.

Request URL:

http://www.neowin.ne...ow/page__st__45

151 requests ? 369.77KB transferred ? 17.84s (onload: 12.70s, DOMContentLoaded: 3.22s)

What do you mean slow, does it take forever for the page to START to load, or the whole experience?

It's the processing of the content that takes a while, serving the content is quick. As I mentioned previously, either your PHP processing or SQL queries are taking a long time. There are many things you can do to improve this, unless it's been done already.

There is a difference between the main news page and the forums.

IPB is not fast and we can't do much about it. The main page is optimized and should be very fast (when IPB isn't slowing the whole site down, no social media and ads disabled)

Image%202012-11-23%20at%2011.28.23%20AM.png

IPB is not fast and we can't do much about it.

Your screenshot shows that the home page is slow. One second load when everything is fetched from the cache.

Also, IPB has got support for APC, Memcached and other systems. Do you have that set up? Realpath caching? Query caching?

I tried bbc.co.uk, cnn.com and theverge.com and news.google.com and they are all as fast or slower than our main page. These sites are all considered slow according to Alexa

We use memcached and query caching

Our forum page takes at least twice as long to load as our main page

There is no doubt that over the last few weeks this site has become much slower. I'm glad it's been raised actually as I was starting to think it must be my connection, even though other sites seemed to be loading at their usual speeds.

jQuery is not used on the forums only on main, I guess you mean ajax (prototype). If we were to refresh the page it would talk just as long or longer

There is a difference between the main news page and the forums.

IPB is not fast and we can't do much about it. The main page is optimized and should be very fast (when IPB isn't slowing the whole site down, no social media and ads disabled)

The forums is most definitely the slowest part of the website, I run with NoScript (Neowin Whitelisted) and Ghostery (which is not whitelisted cause I want it to block social media links and other things), the main site works fine. But pretty much every day there is a point where I hit refresh on a Neowin Forum tab, change to other tabs to read things on other sites, then later switch back to the neowin forum tab. When it happens I easily have to wait 10-20 seconds for the forum tab to fully load.

What do you mean slow, does it take forever for the page to START to load, or the whole experience?

Twice tonight (my time) Neowin has either slowed to the speed of molasses or stopped working entirely for a bit. The other times, it loads normal. The slowed or stopped periods don't last very long, usually from 5 to 10 minutes. But they always seem to happen every night. Sometimes once, sometimes more than that.