Diagnose Keyboard Problem

I have this really cheap Logitech K200 keyboard. It is your standard keyboard, nothing fancy. I have this problem that the . key in the number pad doesn't register sometimes.

I installed this program called KeyboardTest and I have the following results:

NumLock=ON, press ., key doesn't register.

NumLock=OFF, press ., key registers.

In Windows, pressing .in any field does not yield anything when NumLock is on. With it off, it functions as delete as it should.

So is my keyboard broken? I recently reinstalled Win7 (not because of a keyboard problem) and the problem existed in previous installs. I think that it may be obviously broken but this is the first time in all my years of using a computer where a keyboard has malfunctioned.

EDIT: This doesn't happen all the time, it happens randomly.

What motherboard have you got? Most recent ones tend to have USB ports optimised for keyboard/mouse connectivity. Also, toggle your numlock state in the BIOS.

Asus M5A88-M running latest BIOS.

It is plugged into a USB 2.0 port. There is a PS/2 port but I am not using it.

^ Is the BIOS enabled to use a PS/2 or the USB keyboard ?

Did you Install the Logitech keyboard driver ?

Check the Device Manager, Keyboard entry -- is it showing 'this device is working properly' ?

Try another keyboard if you can.

Possible the new keyboard is defective -- exchange it.

1) I don't know what kind of option you are referring to. What would be the point of a setting that enables someone to use a PS/2 or USB keyboard?

2) There are no special drivers for this keyboard. It is a basic $10 keyboard.

3) Device is working properly

4) I don't have any other keyboards and it is really difficult to replicate this issue. I am not even aware of it unless I am entering decimal numbers.

^ Some older BIOS had settings for which type of keyboard you use -- yours may not.

$10 keyboard ? Yeah, I'd be exchanging that quick.

Well it is your typical membrane keyboard that would come with OEM systems. I think it was more like $20. I guess I'll go upgrade to a mechanical one.