Portable Heater for Bedroom

With the winter approaching, it's starting to get rather chilly in my bedroom. I live in a converted 2 bedroom ground floor flat (privately rented) and our bedroom is what would have been the living room in the full house. Unfortunately, it has a large set of double glazed windows on 1 whole side facing the street and 1 small radiator that doesn't quite cut it for the whole room. Seeing as my daughter is only 6 months old, we want to get something to warm the room up now as opposed to just wrapping up. Can someone please recommend what is the best solution. Obviously, I want something that is as low cost as possible in terms of electricity usage. I'm prepared to spend up to the region of ?50 but ideally looking in the range of ?20-?30. It also has to be quiet (preferably silent!) as myself, the wife and of course the baby will be trying to sleep through it.

There are a lot of options it seems in term of convector heaters, oil heaters etc. So, does anyone have any recommendations with what I should go for?

According to the USwitch website, all the main types of portable electric heaters have similar efficiency but halogen heaters heat up and cool down the quickest as well as being generally smaller. I used to live in a house share with a halogen heater and they're pretty decent, though like all electric heaters they quickly rocket through electricity. A quick Amazon search shows they're in your price range, at around ?15-25.

Whatever you do, you want to be using it as little as possible to keep costs down. If they don't have a built-in timer then make sure to get a timer plug.

With the winter approaching, it's starting to get rather chilly in my bedroom. I live in a converted 2 bedroom ground floor flat (privately rented) and our bedroom is what would have been the living room in the full house. Unfortunately, it has a large set of double glazed windows on 1 whole side facing the street and 1 small radiator that doesn't quite cut it for the whole room. Seeing as my daughter is only 6 months old, we want to get something to warm the room up now as opposed to just wrapping up. Can someone please recommend what is the best solution. Obviously, I want something that is as low cost as possible in terms of electricity usage. I'm prepared to spend up to the region of ?50 but ideally looking in the range of ?20-?30. It also has to be quiet (preferably silent!) as myself, the wife and of course the baby will be trying to sleep through it.

There are a lot of options it seems in term of convector heaters, oil heaters etc. So, does anyone have any recommendations with what I should go for?

You could ask your landlord to fix the heating problem. There are laws in the UK for housing standards that say you must be able to maintain a room temperature. Visit your local council they should be able to provide you with the temperature numbers.

You can also look on some sites such as B&Q that have tools to tell you what site radiator you need for the room, usually it'll be a number BTUs and radiators give off that in heat to fill the room. Your landlord needs to provide the correct heat for the room or you run the risk of things such as damp and mold growth, something do not want with an infant in the room.

As you've pointed out, with two large widows you're going to need a bigger heat source. If your landlord is willing to pay for the labour (they usually have a contacted handyman already) then you can pickup a large double radiator off eBay and grab a bit of extra copper pipe from your local plumbers for less then ?50 and you'll have a much better warmth experience then a portable radiator.