Are You Tracked?

Tracking Around the World  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Allow Yourself to be Tracked?

• On the whole, YES
    • On the whole, NO
    • I'd say about 50% of me is tracked
    • Next to nothing is tracked - ninja!

I picked "on the whole, no".

I don't use things like Foursquare, I don't add my location to tweets or facebook.

I allow Android to find me for things like the weather and maps but other optional things are turned off. I guess I just don't see the need in being fully traceable nearly all the time with everything although I can see the fun in things like Foursquare.

Are you still concerned with privacy and who/what companies know where you are?

Pick the option closest to you.

I use do not track whenever I get the option, but like you (in one respect) I allow android to track my location, but that's also partly to weather info and using my phone as a sat nav (gps)

More often than not I'm tagged at a place I'm at (Facebook). I stopped using Foursquare ages ago.

I picked the 50% option. I also allow location aware apps on iOS (weather etc).

Rarely, I use Do Not Track plus and have GPS on my phone shutoff, sometimes I will allow an app access, but never Facebook or Twitter.

I just don't see the need for my location to be known, It's bad enough my IP address can be used to locate the general area that I'm in.

I'm not paranoid, I don't mind services knowing where I am as long as it's not publicly shared. I draw the line where anyone in the world could know exactly where abouts I am at any one time (with a high degree of confidence), as this could be used to break-in to my home when I'm not there.

always NO, but I know that doesn't even matter, because we are always tracked, somehow, someway by the "man"......... :rainbow:

Haha, this is me as well. Although sometimes people check me in places on FB and it posts even though I've asked FB to prompt me to approve those things... :angry:

*paranoid ninja-wannabe*

Haha, this is me as well. Although sometimes people check me in places on FB and it posts even though I've asked FB to prompt me to approve those things... :angry:

*paranoid ninja-wannabe*

haha, ahh, facebook is the worst at everything, just the amount of info about you on there is scary :pinch:

Um, maybe you should be asking if you are 'legally' tracked online. US/EU/CA have been capturing EVERY packet online for at least 10 years now... They know whats going on, but can't action a thing until they make their method of data capture legal for prosecution.

haha, ahh, facebook is the worst at everything, just the amount of info about you on there is scary :pinch:

The amount of info facebook has on people who don't even use the service is scary. Lets not talk about those who post every little thing that happens in their life. Sad when you get texts and emails from facebook but never provided them with either piece of information. Guess those facebook chats are a great thing!

You can turn 'off' all these options, but there are so many ways to track a people (outside of technology). If someone wants to find you, they will - it's just a matter of time.

Your cell phone company tracks you whether or not you have GPS enabled via cell tower tracking.

Your bank/credit card company tracks your purchase history. Stores you buy stuff at track what you buy and build profile.

If you walk into a Walmart they watch you, even time how long it takes you from stopping at an isle to pick up an item and put it in your cart

Whether your name is attached to a profile or not, tracking is happening.

Axciom is famous for saying they know more about the average American than the average American knows about themselves.

On the other side, as someone who buys online advertising - when I buy an audience profile I haven't the foggiest idea who these people are whatsoever. What's funny, or not since i'm paying for it, often times buying 25-30 year olds to see my ads is actually 40+ year old moms. Go figure

I'm fine with being tracked. It enriches my social experiences. If a company wants to know where I am, then they're welcome to. :p

Kinda. I really didn't put any personal info on there, so I guess I'm (relatively) safe? Maybe?

Kinda. I really didn't put any personal info on there, so I guess I'm (relatively) safe? Maybe?

who knows, we'll see how quickly I find your facebook profile :laugh:

AFK I absolutely suck at making friends, so social networks have no use for me. I don't use cloud storage - I've got nothing to share, and all backups are kept on an offline disk. I've set my browser to block ads agressively. Most other things are on demand. Cookies are deleted whenever I close it (and I do close often). My router doesn't reply to pings from public (although that's probably an obvious thing). I use a dumbphone.

I can still be tracked, but I imagine it'll take a court order to do it - and I'm no John McAfee, so nobody needs to either.

I like to think that I've reduced my online footprint to a minimum while still safely using the basic set of features.

I think I'm paranoid... and complicated :whistle:

I'm fine with being tracked. It enriches my social experiences. If a company wants to know where I am, then they're welcome to. :p

Same here. I don't mind tracking cookies, they at least make ads relevant. I don't mind Google knowing everything I do since it makes Google Now insanely powerful and useful. I don't mind Facebook and Foursquare knowing where I am since it does really give you nice recommendations for other places. I also like Last.fm tracking all my music because it informs me of upcoming gigs and new music I might like.

I'm still convinced that as long as you don't do anything wrong you have absolutely nothing to fear. All that data is just sitting somewhere in a datacenter and all that data is pretty much useless to anyone aside the companies using them to provide services to me.

• Like 2

I have a cell phone so by default i am tracked however, I have all location services turned of on my phone so whatever apps i have installed are not allowed to ask for my location.

I try to be like a fart in the wind...

oh you!

HOSTS files and router block lists FTW!!