Best brand for Android Tablet?

My wife really wants an android tablet, and we were looking at walmart and she found one from Asus that runs in the $400 range. I honestly know nothing about tablets so I hope that someone else can enlighten me as to the good brands and what to look for in a tablet. TIA

Looking for a smaller tablet, def the Nexus 7. If looking for something larger, either Samsung or ASUS. ASUS has more of a vanilla feel to it....at least my orig Transformer did and you will have to deal with Samsungs crap but they make good devices. Both can be rooted and customized to get full vanilla Android

Arguably the two best Android tablets on the market right now are the Nexus 7 made by Asus and the Nexus 10 made by Samsung. I prefer 10" tablets so I just upgraded my old Xoom to the Nexus 10. It's an amazing tablet. Keep in mind, by getting a Nexus tablet you are getting a "Google Experience Device" which means no bloatware from the manufacturer and updates straight from Google the day they're released.

Edit:

Or you can always hold off and wait for the Nexus 10 to come out. Full vanilla Android out of box.

It is out, unless you mean on sale at Walmart...

Just get one from the Play Store. 16GB for $399 or 32GB for $499.

Arguably the two best Android tablets on the market right now are the Nexus 7 made by Asus and the Nexus 10 made by Samsung. I prefer 10" tablets so I just upgraded my old Xoom to the Nexus 10. It's an amazing tablet. Keep in mind, by getting a Nexus tablet you are getting a "Google Experience Device" which means no bloatware from the manufacturer and updates straight from Google the day they're released.

Did not see the nexus 10 was out yet. I have been working a lot lately. So def the Nexus 10 or the Nexus 7. If you want added functionality, root or install the Apex or Nova launcher. Android functions great out of box, but diff launchers add a lot of other functionality.

Just don't get anything from the Asus Transformer series, their firmwares are usually bloated to death and gaming is a real pain, the lag is omnipresent even with the latest updates. I have personally flashed CyanogenMod and never looked back at the junk official buggy firmwares. CM simply revived my tablet.

I've used a Nexus 7 extensively and can attest to it being a great tablet. If you need something larger the Nexus 10 should fit the bill.

Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 indeed. Everything else is way more expensive for the same hardware.

Or another nice one is the Sony Xperia Tablet. It's waterproof (great for kitchen use according to Sony), has a huge amount of accessories available, has an IR blaster (pretty good universal remote app built in), great display and nice design. Unobtrusive skin by Sony too and Jelly Bean is coming very soon. And 9" is a very nice form factor, it's just a little less huge than 10" tablets.

nexus 7 is just great in my opinion because it's so customizable, running a dualboot with ubuntu as example on it :p

And nexus 10 has the best screen on the market for a 10inch tablet right now combined with fast hardware that easily make sthe even more expensive ipad look outdated xD

Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 indeed. Everything else is way more expensive for the same hardware.

Or another nice one is the Sony Xperia Tablet. It's waterproof (great for kitchen use according to Sony), has a huge amount of accessories available, has an IR blaster (pretty good universal remote app built in), great display and nice design. Unobtrusive skin by Sony too and Jelly Bean is coming very soon. And 9" is a very nice form factor, it's just a little less huge than 10" tablets.

yeah I love sony stuff too but it's a bit expensive somtimes :/