Man Accused of Selling Horse Meat for Human Consumption

is it really that hard to understand? People were killing horses that were used for riding.

Florida is a huge state for throughbreds. Some of them can be worth A LOT of money.

If the killing of riding horses is the issue then you go after people killing riding horses - you don't ban the human consumption of horse meat. That would be like banning cars because they can be used in bank robberies.

to each his own but ownership rights of a living creature shouldnt include killing it or harming it.imho.

What about cows, lambs, sheep, fish...I appreciate if you don't eat them for the same reason, but if you do eat them then what is the difference between them and a horse that was bred for eating?

You may as well ask the same thing about cat or dog.

I couldn't/wouldn't eat them myself because in the west we've turned them in to pets rather than food. But I can agree with your point.

I couldn't/wouldn't eat them myself because in the west we've turned them in to pets rather than food. But I can agree with your point.

I couldn't eat a horse either, because I have a strong empathy for most animals, and my love of horses falls into the pet zone. :wub:

With all the deer, chicken, fish, turkey, cow meat, etc. we have we certainly don't need horse meat.

I don't go as far as PETA, but I can see that the animals raised for food, could be treated a lot more humanely.

I couldn't eat a horse either, because I have a strong empathy for most animals, and my love of horses falls into the pet zone. :wub:

True, horses have been turned in to pets in the same way as dogs, cats and rabbits (to name but a few). However, in Europe a horse can be a pet or a meal, depending on where you go. In Switzerland it's quite popular to have horse as a meal, the same with rabbit. Now, I've owned rabbits as pets and because of that I could not eat one - likewise on the dog and cat front - but as I have never owned a horse I can't say that I have the same opinion of them when thinking about a meal. C'est la vie, cultural differences will apply different thinking to the same creature.

^ True story. When I was 9, I had a pet rabbit. It was black and its name was, inevitably, Bugsy. He was kept in his own hutch by the back door. My dad at the time was into breeding rabbits for the pot, and had a nice little side business selling them to the local butchers.

One day I come home from school a little late, just in time for dinner. "What is it?" I ask, "Rabbit stew." says dad and I tuck in. Yummy.

After dinner, I go out back to feed Bugsy, and he's not there. I check the hutch, I look around (he escaped regularly), but can't find him, so I go back inside and ask dad.

Who wants to guess what the answer was? :s

I don't eat rabbit anymore, but I'd happily munch on a horseburger!

^ True story. When I was 9, I had a pet rabbit. It was black and its name was, inevitably, Bugsy. He was kept in his own hutch by the back door. My dad at the time was into breeding rabbits for the pot, and had a nice little side business selling them to the local butchers.

One day I come home from school a little late, just in time for dinner. "What is it?" I ask, "Rabbit stew." says dad and I tuck in. Yummy.

After dinner, I go out back to feed Bugsy, and he's not there. I check the hutch, I look around (he escaped regularly), but can't find him, so I go back inside and ask dad.

Who wants to guess what the answer was? :s

I don't eat rabbit anymore, but I'd happily munch on a horseburger!

To be honest, that was rather insensible of your dad.

I don't want to badmouth him, but shame on him - with all due respect.

Glassed Silver:mac

To be honest, that was rather insensible of your dad.

I don't want to badmouth him, but shame on him - with all due respect.

Glassed Silver:mac

I didn't speak to him for 3 months. :p Mind you, IIRC, I spent at least half of that crying! :( So mean!

With all the deer, chicken, fish, turkey, cow meat, etc. we have we certainly don't need horse meat.

I don't go as far as PETA, but I can see that the animals raised for food, could be treated a lot more humanely.

Judging from that progress, soon you won't be able to eat plant either, because they become your pet.

Yet people have no problem killing plants and eat their offspring.

They have feelings, too!

plants use animal digestion to propagate their seed. not like that with animals. go vegetarian.

Yet people have no problem killing plants and eat their offspring.

They have feelings, too!

already replied to that

So we should just kill other peoples animals for food then ?

you dont need to kill any animals .. really.

you dont need to kill any animals .. really.

I'd rather eat what I'm supposed to instead of taking a bunch of supplement pills, it's natural.

I'm the top of the food chain, the other animals, they exist to feed me or feed my food.

I'd rather eat what I'm supposed to instead of taking a bunch of supplement pills, it's natural.

I'm the top of the food chain, the other animals, they exist to feed me or feed my food.

i know what you are talking about and no you wont need them. just stick with dairy it will keep you fine. take the step whenever you want to, dont get scared by the fear mongering like you'll mss this nutrient or that mineral or this vitamin or that protein. you have to do it yourself to see it work. do it in a group or under supervision if you're scared (i.e. you've rationalised the necessity of meat with reams of scientific literature).

i know what you are talking about and no you wont need them. just stick with dairy it will keep you fine. take the step whenever you want to, dont get scared by the fear mongering like you'll mss this nutrient or that mineral or this vitamin or that protein. you have to do it yourself to see it work. do it in a group or under supervision if you're scared (i.e. you've rationalised the necessity of meat with reams of scientific literature).

Your dedication and also your initiative to help people join the vegetarian lifestyle is certainly inspiring and I salute you for that, however I sense - knowing you're all friendly and don't want to come across rude - that your wording is a little weird in that it implies it is a superior way of dealing with food, animals etc.

I think I cannot live without meat, not physically, but I don't want to and it's not unnatural to think like that. I know pills aren't required, however for some people there will be something that's greatly missed.

I think - vegetarian or not - can understand that if you appreciate food and eating as well as cooking that there will always be things people don't want to live without.

My biggest loss in case of an allergy or other reason for abstinence would be cheese and I get CRAZY when I take anti-biotics and have to vegetate (:laugh:) without cheese during that time.

Unwanted abstinence from food you absolutely love can be as bad as malnutrition in terms of feeling good in your life.

And whilst I would never eat sheep brains like some French people do, even finding it disgusting, I say good on them.

I think it's important to treat every animal with respect and humanity regardless on your stance on whether it's ok or not to eat them.

There's a lot of violation of that rule going on and I hate it.

Glassed Silver:ios

Why would I want to stop eating meat...

I certainly wouldn't. You need a nice balance of all food stuffs to keep the body in working order and if part of a Cows diet was meat, they wouldn't think twice before taking a bite out of you.

Sadly, as with any alternative thinking, Vegetarianism/Veganism (read: pescatarians) suffers from it's die hard fan boys who, instead of quietly getting on with their choice of diet, feel the need to shout it from the roof tops and force us all 'to believe' it's the only right way both for health reasons and ethical reasons. Both utter crap imho.

P.S. Horse meat, while not terrible, isn't something i'd like to consume to much. It's a lot like a darker beef and a bit tougher.

the point is you dont need to describe it as what you're 'supposed' to eat in the larger context of mankind. you can flourish without supplements on a meat free diet.

I certainly wouldn't. You need a nice balance of all food stuffs to keep the body in working order and if part of a Cows diet was meat, they wouldn't think twice before taking a bite out of you.

Sadly, as with any alternative thinking, Vegetarianism/Veganism (read: pescatarians) suffers from it's die hard fan boys who, instead of quietly getting on with their choice of diet, feel the need to shout it from the roof tops and force us all 'to believe' it's the only right way both for health reasons and ethical reasons. Both utter crap imho.

P.S. Horse meat, while not terrible, isn't something i'd like to consume to much. It's a lot like a darker beef and a bit tougher.

you referring to this guy? gross video btw. :ninja:

Your dedication and also your initiative to help people join the vegetarian lifestyle is certainly inspiring and I salute you for that, however I sense - knowing you're all friendly and don't want to come across rude - that your wording is a little weird in that it implies it is a superior way of dealing with food, animals etc.

Unwanted abstinence from food you absolutely love can be as bad as malnutrition in terms of feeling good in your life.

I think it's important to treat every animal with respect and humanity regardless on your stance on whether it's ok or not to eat them.

There's a lot of violation of that rule going on and I hate it.

Glassed Silver:ios

Thanks. i totally dig that you should eat what you like i'd just add that it should be preferably wholehome food (not mc donalds). My respect to you for thinking animals deserve respect and need to be humanely treated.