Should I get a new iMac?

So, I really like the new iMacs. They're expensive, but it looks like a beautiful, capable machine, and I would love to use OS X for a chance. On the other hand, my current system isn't really giving me any problems - it's going on 4 years old, but I can play most games I want at fairly high settings (I'm playing Skyrim at around high, with a few settings, like shadows, turned down to medium, and I use GIMP and productivity software a lot), and I never have any problems with any of my serious problems. Still, I like the OS and the design.

I don't really follow hardware or how it's developing, so I was wondering if someone who's more in the know on these things than I am could compare my system to the new iMac design I've picked out, and let me know if they think it's a decent upgrade?

Here's my current system:

Processor Intel® Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz

Memory (RAM) 9.00 GB

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Gaming graphics 5371 MB Total available graphics memory

1TB HD

Here's the iMac I'm looking at:

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

1TB Fusion Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

So, what do you think? How do the graphics cards and processors compare?

Not gonna be able to give you any advice on the hardware.

I would wait until Rev B. You have to remember, these are Rev A of a new generation of iMacs. I am looking into purchasing one myself, but I am definitely waiting until December next year when I travel to the states.

I love Windows, don't have a problem with it all. It just that I want to try something new for a change and I like the hardware Apple has, in addtion, I have admired OS X a bit from the first time I saw it on 'The Screen Savers' in March 2001 with its photo realistic icons and Aqua theme. I have also gotten the chance to play with the OS a bit over the years and its quite usable.

Also, these are using more than 6 month old 3rd gen Intel processors. With Haswell availability near March, I am sure Apple is not gonna wait another year to have updated systems, especially since Haswell is more power efficient. You should see new iMacs at least by June with the new processors. With Apple and Intel's relationship, Apple might just get first dibs before the other OEMs.

Because of my budget, I will be going for the base model, can't afford anything higher and of course, I will be getting a Fusion drive which pushes it up to 1950. Hopefully the next generation makes 2 or 3 TB drives standard without a price increase so I can get the best bang for my buck.

Since you already have a 'power house' rig, I recommend you consider getting Mac Mini unless you really want the iMac screen.

I think that the Mac Mini specs are decent enough for just about everything but gaming. And even some games will play just fine.

Either Mac will "fly" compared to your current PC build because of the fusion drive. The difference in OS performance between traditional magnetic drives and ssds/hybrids is substantial no matter which platform you are on.

no, unless you have money to burn, there ain't really that much of a difference really in the real world (not benchmarks)

but ya know.... if you don't have an iMac then ya don't have an iMac......... ugh