Configuring Overscan in Xubuntu on LiveCD

Right now my computer is running without a hard drive so I'm using a LiveCD just to browse the web until I get my hard drive. Everything is fine and dandy except there are black borders and I'm using a resolution of 1920 x 1080, so is there a way to stretch it on a LiveCD?

**EDIT**

Drivers cannot be installed because it doesn't detect my video card and I can't configure the aspect ratio through the setting

You can install graphics drivers if you need to, but you will need to kill your X session before you load them. The procedure would look something like this:

# Switch to a virtual terminal using CTRL+Alt+F2 and login
sudo service lightdm stop # lighdm should be replaced with whatever display manager you are using, such as gdm or kdm (lightdm is default in Ubuntu 12.04)
sudo apt-get install <packages_you_need_for_the_new_driver>
sudo modprobe fglrx # fglrx should be replaced with the name of the graphics driver you are trying to load, such as nvidia
sudo service lightdm start
[/CODE]

That said, the procedure above is heavily depenant on your distribution and exact configuration. If you would post that it would be helpful.

• Like 1

You can install graphics drivers if you need to, but you will need to kill your X session before you load them. The procedure would look something like this:

# Switch to a virtual terminal using CTRL+Alt+F2 and login
sudo service lightdm stop # lighdm should be replaced with whatever display manager you are using, such as gdm or kdm (lightdm is default in Ubuntu 12.04)
sudo apt-get install <packages_you_need_for_the_new_driver>
sudo modprobe fglrx # fglrx should be replaced with the name of the graphics driver you are trying to load, such as nvidia
sudo service lightdm start
[/CODE]

That said, the procedure above is heavily depenant on your distribution and exact configuration. If you would post that it would be helpful.

[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thanks for the info and the distribution is Precise Pangolin with Xfce[/font]

• 2 weeks later...

Got it working :woot:

# Switch to a virtual terminal using CTRL+Alt+F2
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
sudo stop lightdm
sudo start lightdm

**EDIT**

Got a dual monitor setup ATM and huge display is huge!. I can't wait until my new SSD arrives so I can start playing games on it :)