The Android Update Process Frustrations

I recently bought a Galaxy note 10.1 (wifi only). One of the selling points for me was that it was reported it was to be updated with Jellybean.

Now I LOVE it, I think it's a great piece of tech and use it regularly, however the update I read about only applies to to the 3G+Wifi version :/ with "No News" about the the 3G only version :argh:

While I understand some of the reasons for the complications(like every company's desire to add their own bells and whistles) it amazes me how complicated it really is.

Now I'm not a developer but shouldn't this be the number 1 thing Android should be working on? (maybe it is)

Could a developer say whether it is possible to develop the Android platform where the "Bells and Whistles" that are added, are some sort of 'add on' for the vanilla android? It really is the biggest drawback of this platform (which I love).

A little frustrated, though I know I should have looked deeper into model variances, it just didn't occur to me that the level at which updates performed were so granular.

Also would anyone recommend doing it manually? :book:

</frustration>

Edit:

This Article underlines my points

I'm sorry, I'm confused.

There are only 2 versions of the tablet. One is Wifi only and the other is 3G+Wifi. Both version have Wifi. So I'm not sure why you can't upgrade?

Edit: After researching and deciphering what you said, it looks like only the Wifi+3G version (model N8000) has an update to JellyBean available. The N8010 (the Wifi only version) doesn't have an update yet.

There are many reasons why the updates wouldn't work with the other model(s). Mainly hardware. That being said, if the N8000 has an update, the N8010 isn't far behind.

If you're still impatient, I would recommend looking at XDA for more information on custom ROMs: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1735

Just be sure you know which model number you have and you read very carefully as you would need to find ROMs/firmware specifically made for your device.

As was I. The upgrade is for the N8000 model not the N8010 model :angry:

Yeah I figured you had the N8010. However you were rather confusing with your wording in the original post. Anyway, I just update my post above. Not much you can do about it.

• Like 2

^ A lot of apps had to be updated to support ICS when it was released. And looking at changelogs for some of my recently installed apps, I do see "Now supports Jelly Bean 4.2" and the like, occasionally.

Also, at least for "vanilla" Android, the updates make a huge difference to me - much better UI and UX. I really enjoyed GB, but after spending a couple weeks with ICS and then going back to GB, I found that I could live with slightly more lag on ICS (on an older device). And I honestly really wasn't all that interested in JB outside of Project Butter, but now I can't seeing myself using a device with ICS or previous ever again if I could help it. *

* The second paragraph may not apply depending on the device you use, though. I remember watching a friend update her Galaxy S2 to ICS and even after looking at "About phone" I still wasn't convinced that the phone was properly updated until I brought up the Recent Apps list.

• Like 1