iPad may beat the Surface - Thank you Microsoft

If you think Microsoft is bad, try getting an Android and syncing it with media stuff on Mac. Its crap.

Eliminating Android, was tough, but successful, as was BES, but the iPad and iPhone is proving much more formidable.

The Surface RT isn't even meant for the damn enterprise. That's what the PRO is for.

Neither was the iPad yet LCD Execs still approved their purchases...

I don't think the iPad will beat Surface personally, even with its glaring problems simply because its correctable on the device itself. The iPad requires so much more investment on the back end (Citrix) to provide even the most basic of functionality to begin with. And even after all that hassle, it still can't compete with the Surface.

The lack of an official RDP app on iOS doesn't help things either. Sure they work, but you still need a 'touch friendly' TS to realize the full benefits - which many of the 3rd party ones simply don't support well enough from my tests.

I think MS is also in a much better position to exploit enterprise grade apps too, compared to the consumer driven ones.

Neither was the iPad yet LCD Execs still approved their purchases...

I don't think the iPad will beat Surface personally, even with its glaring problems simply because its correctable on the device itself. The iPad requires so much more investment on the back end (Citrix) to provide even the most basic of functionality to begin with. And even after all that hassle, it still can't compete with the Surface.

The lack of an official RDP app on iOS doesn't help things either. Sure they work, but you still need a 'touch friendly' TS to realize the full benefits - which many of the 3rd party ones simply don't support well enough from my tests.

I think MS is also in a much better position to exploit enterprise grade apps too, compared to the consumer driven ones.

what they mean to say is the Surface wasn't made for Active Directory integration.... which allows total control of the devices settings with group policy and centralized user management

Going to keep this brief.

Executives ramping pressure for iPad's and RDP for iPad after begin given Surfaces.

Syncing music and media between desktop, tablet, and phone, matters. Yes, even in business. Executives do this by the gigs, it's the only technical thing they can do and with the Apple products and iTunes it just works.

Microsoft has left us nothing, we lose. Even though RDP is far superior on Surface, and free.

Does anyone else get it. Am I the only one that sees that releasing Windows 8, Surface, Windows Phone 8, the dysfunctional Music App, and meaningless Windows Phone App, with no single media management hub for music, playlists, videos, ala iTunes is just a disaster?

I hate iPads in the enterprise, but, we lose.

I agree. In it's current form, Surface, is not for enterprise use just like the first version of Windows Phone. I think that will change when Surface Pro is released though. I say this because you need to remember that Surface Pro is a fully capable PC in a tablet form factor, running Windows 8 Pro, compatible with Surface RT accessories, the iPad isn't. The Surface Pro will allow businesses to replace both Laptops and iPads, assuming both are being used in the same workplace, with one device that has the capabilities of both.

I see Surface RT as a media consumption device aimed at consumers, a direct competitor to the iPad.

what they mean to say is the Surface wasn't made for Active Directory integration.... which allows total control of the devices settings with group policy and centralized user management

Oh, I'm quite clear on what they are saying. Its just a false argument since that isn't held against the iPad, the device in comparison. RT can do everything an iPad can do in an Enterprise setting, better in most cases, and a hundred things it can't. Except sync Music/Video ;) - on which I disagree with the OP as more of a consumer oriented block to adoption.

but then I work for a company that has a $50,000 polycom based video conference center that never gets used, and execs are like OMG Facetime is great! I can video chat with clients! *stares at the video conference center we built 3yrs ago* yeah, we had that a long time ago with a production set... to talk to clients and no one touched it....

So your company purchased one of those POS Polycom units too... I think my boss had one client who wanted to do video conferencing with us using one and all of a sudden OMG we MUST have one! Stupid thing. I think I've seen it work twice and we've probably tried to set it up 5-10 times with clients. It was always an effort because most of the time whoever we were talking to had firewall issues that they couldn't figure out (and I'm not going to run IT for them so...). What a waste. Sorry, OT.

I agree. In it's current form, Surface, is not for enterprise use just like the first version of Windows Phone. I think that will change when Surface Pro is released though. I say this because you need to remember that Surface Pro is a fully capable PC in a tablet form factor, running Windows 8 Pro, compatible with Surface RT accessories, the iPad isn't. The Surface Pro will allow businesses to replace both Laptops and iPads, assuming both are being used in the same workplace, with one device that has the capabilities of both.

I see Surface RT as a media consumption device aimed at consumers, a direct competitor to the iPad.

I think due to its price, the Surface Pro won't compete with the iPad in any scenario. I do think it will do quite well as a laptop alternative though. Trust me, that extra $300 means a lot to everyone's budget. And when they "want" an iPad, it makes it tough, real tough.

It's frustrating because the Surface is so close ... Really, I hope we see some clean up by Christmas and that Windows 8/RT have a good Christmas. I think since Windows 1.0a I have never seen Microsoft products seem so heterogeneous if you will.

Oh, I'm quite clear on what they are saying. Its just a false argument since that isn't held against the iPad, the device in comparison. RT can do everything an iPad can do in an Enterprise setting, better in most cases, and a hundred things it can't. Except sync Music/Video ;) - on which I disagree with the OP as more of a consumer oriented block to adoption.

We don't necessarily disagree. It's just that in certain sectors, the Executive Branch are consumers.

And if as some assert, the Surface/RT is primarily a consumer device, then that will still be a nasty roadblock. I think it is consumer oriented only in it's lack of true Enterprise Computing features, but that is not a "requirement" for a tablet. The inclusion of full Office 2013 adds to its schizophrenic identity.

Oh I don't disagree on that measure, I guess I just usually see that as more of a vanity deployment to the few, and rarely a widespread strategy which is where I think RT can shine.

So your company purchased one of those POS Polycom units too... I think my boss had one client who wanted to do video conferencing with us using one and all of a sudden OMG we MUST have one! Stupid thing. I think I've seen it work twice and we've probably tried to set it up 5-10 times with clients. It was always an effort because most of the time whoever we were talking to had firewall issues that they couldn't figure out (and I'm not going to run IT for them so...). What a waste. Sorry, OT.

we had major firewall issues when we set it up internally (it could tall out to the end point, but would never connect video, or only sound, or video and sound but no "presentation mode" where you could show a VGA or other video input as a 2nd display source), we had Microsoft TMG and the Polycom docs did not fit how TMG had to be set up, we tried and tried, and finally I figured it out... the rules are dumb as heck to get it to talk out and use SIP and have the right protocols in place on TMG... we used ours a few times, it was put in place for when we can't travel due to large snow storms, it got a lot of attention until one day it wouldn't talk to one of our partners sites and then it died out... it was a firewall issue on their end... and they even had polycom devices, they just had them configured to work internally only... ugh

I'm kind of curious if there are specific issues or if it's just that your users are so entrenched in the iTunes ecosystem that anything other than iTunes wouldn't work for them. I mean, I don't like the Music app either, but even if it were great, would the situation really be any different or would they still not want to use it because it isn't iTunes?

Anyway ... tbh, best to try to give your users what they want rather than push solutions from Microsoft or some other preferred vendor on them because you're more comfortable with them.

Do you realise that Office on Surface RT is only licensed for non-commercial use?

It is but if you have a SA you can use it for commercial use.