Cable modem question

So from my Cable internet provider I have a cable modem. It shows in the settings as DOCSIS 3.0. however checking out the settings, it shows its getting service as 2.0 ( I don't have access to it right now for correct wording). Why would it do this?

I have taken notice to slower speeds then normal, and having to reboot their modem. It's a POS. I leased the modem from them, which after having them for a year, I now own it. So they will not replace it without me paying for it.

So I said screw it and I will be buying the MOTOROLA SB6121 SURFboard cable modem. Does anyone else think this will solve the problem? I am tired of always rebooting their modem daily.

I really wish Comcast would get to my area, but the local cable company blocks them from having service here. So from their ****ty service to their ****ty prices I am tired of it.

10MB down, 786 UP for $57 a month. I'm going to upgrade soon to 15 down and 2 up for $62 for the year.

Later tonight I can copy and paste the info from the modem.

Call your cable company would be my first suggestion. They will need to test and verify your db at the modem. If you moved it you may have some loss, if they made a change at the pole you may have some loss.

If you are leasing it, regardless of how old it is, they should be replacing it or there should be no further charge on your bill for leasing your device.

Call your cable company would be my first suggestion. They will need to test and verify your db at the modem. If you moved it you may have some loss, if they made a change at the pole you may have some loss.

If you are leasing it, regardless of how old it is, they should be replacing it or there should be no further charge on your bill for leasing your device.

I'll call them again about it, but since I own the modem now, they wont replace it for free.

'but since I own the modem now, they wont replace it for free."

So your NOT paying anything for the modem for on your bill then.. So its not like you leased it, you just bought it from them on a payment plan.

If they are still charging you a modem lease fee, then they should replace it with their current modem if there is something not working on yours.

If your modem is suppose to be docsis 3, but your only getting connected at docsis 2 - then seems more like an isp issue and not a modem issue. Purchasing your own docsis 3 modem would not fix an issue on their end.

Where exactly are you seeing your only connected via 2? Could you post what your seeing that makes you believe your only on docsis 2 vs 3?

I personally don't like the lease option on any sort of hardware - I will just buy my own thank you ;) I have a SB6120 and have not had issue one with it, on comcast. But if they were just charging for it, and then stopped - that just sounds like some sort of rent to own thing, not a normal cable modem lease deal.

'but since I own the modem now, they wont replace it for free."

So your NOT paying anything for the modem for on your bill then.. So its not like you leased it, you just bought it from them on a payment plan.

If they are still charging you a modem lease fee, then they should replace it with their current modem if there is something not working on yours.

If your modem is suppose to be docsis 3, but your only getting connected at docsis 2 - then seems more like an isp issue and not a modem issue. Purchasing your own docsis 3 modem would not fix an issue on their end.

Where exactly are you seeing your only connected via 2? Could you post what your seeing that makes you believe your only on docsis 2 vs 3?

I personally don't like the lease option on any sort of hardware - I will just buy my own thank you ;) I have a SB6120 and have not had issue one with it, on comcast. But if they were just charging for it, and then stopped - that just sounds like some sort of rent to own thing, not a normal cable modem lease deal.

I don't have it in front of me right now. Once I get back in a few hours I'll take a screen shot of it and post it. I think it was under status or something like that.

I am also going to call them tonight or so and find out if they know of any issues.

Rebooting the modem constantly will force the exchange to drop connection speed to try to stabilize the connection (error correction) thinking the connection can not handle that higher speed

(That's how it works in the UK anyway)

Rebooting the modem constantly will force the exchange to drop connection speed to try to stabilize the connection (error correction) thinking the connection can not handle that higher speed

(That's how it works in the UK anyway)

How do you fix that?

How do you fix that?

Leave the modem connected 24/7 and the exchange will slowly ramp the speed back up until it reaches your lines max speed you got within the initial 10 day line test at the beginning of your connection date

You can also call the ISP and ask them to reset the line and begin your 10 day line test again

Leave the modem connected 24/7 and the exchange will slowly ramp the speed back up until it reaches your lines max speed you got within the initial 10 day line test at the beginning of your connection date

You can also call the ISP and ask them to reset the line and begin your 10 day line test again

It's always connected.

Well only when it gets flakey. otherwise, it's connected.

Still, if you are rebooting the modem every day, its going to seem like there is a problem with the line

My modem hasn't been rebooted in months

Anyway, that's how it works here, so if you are getting a low connection sync, don't reboot it and see if it settles itself after a couple weeks

Still, if you are rebooting the modem every day, its going to seem like there is a problem with the line

My modem hasn't been rebooted in months

Anyway, that's how it works here, so if you are getting a low connection sync, don't reboot it and see if it settles itself after a couple weeks

Ahhh ok thanks!

I attached some screen shots. The only thing that says DOCSIS 2.0 is upstream apparently. Other than that stuff, I am not sure if anything is wrong

Not sure about your screens, US looks different to UK comparing it to my modem stats

Check what speeds you should be getting on 3.0 and 2.0 and take a speedtest to compare them

speedtest.net

speedtest.bbmax.co.uk

Hehe, NOTHING is wrong there. Upstream is generally always D2:

post-698-0-82063800-1354924649.png

Check that one out which is in D3 mode (since multiple upstream channels) but still shows D2 for the individual channel or even 1.1!!! :o . You are trying to fix what's not broken. :pinch:

Why do you have to reboot the modem though? It just gets so slow that rebooting it is the only fix or what?

Stole that image from Comcast's Upstream Bonding thread on BR:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26047253-Evidence-of-Upstream-Channel-Bonding-Post-Here

If you're out of contract, just phone up asking to leave. When they say why, tell them you're modem's on the way out, and you're not happy at buying a new one, so you're gonna go elsewhere.

You'll be surprised how quickly you get a new modem!

Hehe, NOTHING is wrong there. Upstream is generally always D2:

post-698-0-82063800-1354924649.png

Check that one out which is in D3 mode (since multiple upstream channels) but still shows D2 for the individual channel or even 1.1!!! :o . You are trying to fix what's not broken. :pinch:

Why do you have to reboot the modem though? It just gets so slow that rebooting it is the only fix or what?

Stole that image from Comcast's Upstream Bonding thread on BR:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26047253-Evidence-of-Upstream-Channel-Bonding-Post-Here

Yes everything slows down or it just stops working. A reboot fixes it everytime.