Star Trek Enterprise - The Most Under Rated Show on TV

I loved the final episode. It did not imply that the entire thing was a holo simulation, it was pretty clear that the events of that singular episode were a holo simulation, and also that it was a "historically accurate" one, allowing Riker to study the events of the "past" to make a decision in his "present." The whole thing was just a way to get Riker on the show for a minute and tie Enterprise more firmly to the rest of the continuity. I thought it was a pretty good episode, myself.

Edit: Except for killing Trip; that was bull****. At least it takes place quite a while after the episode before it, at the end of their mission, so if they ever do have an Enterprise movie it can fit nicely in the gap there.

i think though out all the seasons they always meantion "chef".

i think though out all the seasons they always meantion "chef".

That's because there is a chef. In the holodeck Riker took on the role of Chef as he observed the crew of Enterprise, effectively replacing that person, and since it was a simulation the crew didn't realize he was an imposter. I really shouldn't have to explain how the holodeck "works," though. Did you not watch TNG, DS9 or Voyager?

That's because there is a chef. In the holodeck Riker took on the role of Chef as he observed the crew of Enterprise, effectively replacing that person, and since it was a simulation the crew didn't behave as if he were an imposter. I really shouldn't have to explain how the holodeck "works," though. Did you not watch TNG, DS9 or Voyager?

I don't know why people hate on time travel so much, it was one of the most compelling parts of the show, two or more factions from different time periods in the future, fighting to change the course of the future to their own benefit. I'm pretty sure I read that the 'future man' who was giving Suliban orders was meant to be revealed as a Romulan trying to instigate the Earth/Romulan war.

The problem is, Star Trek screwed itself with its obsessive overuse of time travel as a plot device. There was always a kind of pride in Star Trek's effort to be a projection of where science really could eventually take us, but time travel has never been anything more than fantasy. It isn't compatible with any understanding of the universe today. The only thing that comes close is the multiverse fantasy, which isn't even technically time travel, and is itself just an extension of the hard-on people get when they hear the word 'infinite'.

Time travel isn't something you just build a random plot off of.

The problem is, Star Trek screwed itself with its obsessive overuse of time travel as a plot device. There was always a kind of pride in Star Trek's effort to be a projection of where science really could eventually take us, but time travel has never been anything more than fantasy. It isn't compatible with any understanding of the universe today. The only thing that comes close is the multiverse fantasy, which isn't even technically time travel, and is itself just an extension of the hard-on people get when they hear the word 'infinite'.

Another cliche Trek needs to get rid of. Those Trek producers loved that reset button, especially Voyager staff.

Star Trek has also had supernatural kind of things like Q, creatures that live in the vacuum of space, plus speculative parascientific concepts which have very little real science behind them, like psychicsm, telepathy etc.

The problem with time travel plots from my point of view is that its easy from any bad writer to come up with a 'profound' sounding time travel plot , just create an anomaly here, and a paradox here. Profound! Really clever time travel plots are rare.

• Terrible, terrible acting.
  • All charicters were incredibly 2D, lacking any depth whatsoever.
  • Jonathan Archer was just a plain obnoxious know it all.
  • The entire crew were like a bunch of kindergarten kids looking up to their captain who had to teach them the most basic of life lessons.
  • Huge holes in the plot. Per example: When Earth came under attack of the main Xindi weapon (end of season 3) there wasn't a single armed Earth, or otherwise, vessel in orbit. No orbital weapon platforms. No surface-based weapons. Nothing. Earth was reduced to being a sitting duck. Are we really supposed to believe Earth was just waiting a year long to be destroyed without undertaking any action whatsoever on the home front? Instead of arming the planet to the teeth Starfleet decided to literally bet all their money on a single NX-class ship. Yet when Enterprise returned home (proper timeline) there were suddenly dozens of vessels (Earth, Vulcan, etc.) waiting for them in Earth orbit. Where the hell were all those ships when Enterprise tried to destroy the Xindi weapon?? That REALLY annoyed me and there's just no way whatsoever to justify it.

Overall the show was just lame.

• Huge holes in the plot. Per example: When Earth came under attack of the main Xindi weapon (end of season 3) there wasn't a single armed Earth, or otherwise, vessel in orbit. No orbital weapon platforms. No surface-based weapons. Nothing. Earth was this static entity just waiting to be destroyed. Yet when Enterprise returned home (proper timeline) there were suddenly dozens of vessels (Earth, Vulcan, etc.) waiting for them. Where the hell were all those ships when Enterprise tried to destroy the Xindi weapon in orbit??

Off doing other things? You have to remember Earth at this point had a sense of naivety not seen in the 24th Century. Humans wanted to explore and poke around, but really weren't ready to deal with threats. Earth had the NX-01, and a few other small craft, and that was it. The Vulcans could have cared less.

Enterprise is one of my favourite Star Trek shows. There were some episodes that were a little boring but overall, the show was very interesting.

• Jonathan Archer was just a plain obnoxious know it all.

Obnoxious know it all who was overly emotional and did everything from the 'gut'. I don't know how anyone like that could get a high rank as a military officer. At least Kirk had his rank taken from him several times. But it fits the purpose of the writers to pigeonhole humans as the 'emotional' species.

Couldn't have cared less. Could have cared less implies they at least cared some.

Also, by that time they had created several alliances with the tellerites, the andorians (though still a level of distrust until the Federation founding arc) and others that could have been leveraged.

I quite enjoyed Enterprise personally and never understood the bad rap it (and Archer) always seemed to get. I didn't really care for the long story arcs in general, but there were plenty of gems mixed in along the way. I'd place it third (TOS, TNG, ENT, DS9, VOY), if only because it had an Enterprise in it. ;)

Obnoxious know it all who was overly emotional and did everything from the 'gut'. I don't know how anyone like that could get a high rank as a military officer. At least Kirk had his rank taken from him several times. But it fits the purpose of the writers to pigeonhole humans as the 'emotional' species.

It bothered me through nearly every single Star Trek Series that referred to any emotion as "human emotion" even though every race, including vulcans, posessed the same emotions. I guess this was used as a device to portray humans as being accountable for their "history". When Vulcan's was just as bad if not worse than humanity's.

Off doing other things? You have to remember Earth at this point had a sense of naivety not seen in the 24th Century. Humans wanted to explore and poke around, but really weren't ready to deal with threats. Earth had the NX-01, and a few other small craft, and that was it. The Vulcans could have cared less.

Off doing other things when you know your homeworld is about to be destroyed? Yes, I can see how that event is on the bottom of your priority list... Not to mention all those smaller ships magically appeared once the weapon was gone. Starfleet deployed their instantaneous space travel capabilities just for that one occasion huh? They were nowhere in sight when the Xindi attacked, but they did immediately came to the rescue when Enterprise was under attack by the Klingons when entering Earth's solar system. Anno 2012 we have the technology to put weapons into orbit, yet they didn't think of doing such a thing in the 2150s when faced with the annihilation of the entire species? Gimme a break.

What you're saying makes no sense whatsoever and it was a huge hole in the story line.

Personally I was a big fan of Enterprise; it was the most "realistic" of the Star Trek series', although I did think they were somewhat forced to limit the amount of technology they actually used on the sets to, well, probably less than todays' standards, purely so as not to break continuity with TOS (which is still, in my opinion, the worst series' by a long shot).

Ironically, most people who dislike the 2009 movie have never actually seen Enterprise; if you watch Enterprise, then watch the movie, the movie makes perfect sense as a sequel to Enterprise, rather than as a re-boot of TOS. You basically just need to forget about TOS entirely.

Off doing other things when you know your homeworld is about to be destroyed? Yes, I can see how that event is on the bottom of your to-do list... Not to mention all those ships magically appeared once the weapon was gone. Starfleet deployed their instantaneous space travel capabilities just for that occasion huh?

Remember in "Twilight" when the Enterprise, Intrepid, and the rest of the Earth fleet shepherded the surviving fleet to Ceti Alpha? I betchya they were off guarding whatever fleet they could muster at the time of the Xindi Attack.

Personally I was a big fan of Enterprise; it was the most "realistic" of the Star Trek series', although I did think they were somewhat forced to limit the amount of technology they actually used on the sets to, well, probably less than todays' standards, purely so as not to break continuity with TOS (which is still, in my opinion, the worst series' by a long shot).

Ironically, most people who dislike the 2009 movie have never actually seen Enterprise; if you watch Enterprise, then watch the movie, the movie makes perfect sense as a sequel to Enterprise, rather than as a re-boot of TOS. You basically just need to forget about TOS entirely.

My thoughts exactly. Nazi planet? Gangster planet? gladiator planet? TOS had some nice stories, but many were just plain junk.

Remember in "Twilight" when the Enterprise, Intrepid, and the rest of the Earth fleet shepherded the surviving fleet to Ceti Alpha? I betchya they were off guarding whatever fleet they could muster at the time of the Xindi Attack.

They didn't do that until after Earth was destroyed. In the alternate timeline the other Starfleet vessels were attacking the Xindi weapon alongside Enterprise. In the proper timeline none of that happened. And again, Earth knew it was about to be destroyed, yet no actions whatsoever were undertaken to put weapons into orbit. It makes no sense. Really it doesn't.

I just started watching it on Netflix this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Tried watching it when it premiered, but I had just started working, and keeping up with TV became a little harder.

They didn't do that until after Earth was destroyed. In the alternate timeline the other Starfleet vessels were attacking the Xindi weapon alongside Enterprise. In the proper timeline none of that happened. And again, Earth knew it was about to be destroyed, yet no actions whatsoever were undertaken to put weapons into orbit. It makes no sense. Really it doesn't.

If I remember correctly, the first attack came as a surprise (assuming you're talking about the first Xindi attack). Also, Starfleet didn't have that many ships. By the end of the show, there were only a handful of NX-class ships. And before the NX, all Earth had was freighters and smaller ships.