Star Trek Enterprise - The Most Under Rated Show on TV

I'm a big Star Trek fan, and I was often critical of Enterprise when it was on the air. I recently re-watched to whole series on NetFlix, and the show has grown on me. I love the more realistic portrayal of humanity, compared to what was seen in the TNG era.

I believe Enterprise failed mainly because the writers had to work within the established (and massive) cannon which is hard with a prequel. I also think that around the early 2000's Trek had become stagnate, and the producers failed to stay of technological advances in the real world.

Star Trek has also had supernatural kind of things like Q, creatures that live in the vacuum of space, plus speculative parascientific concepts which have very little real science behind them, like psychicsm, telepathy etc.

The problem with time travel plots from my point of view is that its easy from any bad writer to come up with a 'profound' sounding time travel plot , just create an anomaly here, and a paradox here. Profound! Really clever time travel plots are rare.

I agree that Star Trek delved into heavy fantasy on a regular basis. I think I'm just personally peeved by time travel because science has gotten far enough that it's more absurd than fantastic.

There's some room for imagination with regard to extrasensory perception and its implications. Much of our common understanding of the world around us is a result of the senses we have, and living/non-living things give off massive amounts of 'information' that known terrestrial life never developed the ability to sense (or if it ever did, it provided no lasting survival benefit). An imaginative writer could come up with an environment that would encourage and promote life that made use of such senses, and build story out of humankind encountering it.

I don't think there is a gaping plot hole with the initial Xindi attack (besides making them aware before they had their planet killer). It was a terrorist attack so the idea that it was a surprise attack that they couldn't stop in time is relevant to the time it was written.

And yes, Porthos was quite real..at least until the transporter incident... :)

I think Phlox was underrated as well, my favorite ST doctor besides Bones. Queue decom chamber with T'Pol...

If I remember correctly, the first attack came as a surprise (assuming you're talking about the first Xindi attack). Also, Starfleet didn't have that many ships. By the end of the show, there were only a handful of NX-class ships. And before the NX, all Earth had was freighters and smaller ships.

I'm talking about the attack that actually destroyed Earth in the alternate timeline: Season 3, episode 8 "Twilight".

I liked he show a lot, it is my second favorite trek. I don?t get the criticisms lobbed at the show, every show has a few dull episodes. The problem for enterprise was the changing trends of ppl, 9/11 was a big one and ppl wanted more "24" and "terrorist" type shows, another trend was reality shows. You also have the fact that it was star trek...which has an uncool image. before the show even aired ppl were hating it, complaining that they wanted a post voyager show, the fact that enterprise looks newer than the tos ent, some ppl even complained about the show using sex and stuff (lol because st never had that before right). I hate the last episode though, I always count the second to last episode as the finally.

And to answer some of these complaints, earth didn?t have the ability to build platforms (technology or manufacturing), all of their resources were going into building the nx-02 ships (which takes like a year and a half apparently). So yes it does make sense.

The ships at the beginning of season 4 did not come out of nowhere. Earth did not know when the attack was going to take place, so why would they have tellarite and Vulcan and andorian ships waiting around for a year doing nothing? Once the attack happened they called for help most likely...do I have to explain the rest for you?

Geez ppl, this is not rocket science......just a show about rocket science.

The ships at the beginning of season 4 did not come out of nowhere. Earth did not know when the attack was going to take place, so why would they have tellarite and Vulcan and andorian ships waiting around for a year doing nothing? Once the attack happened they called for help most likely...do I have to explain the rest for you?

Earth knew an attack was going to happen sooner rather than later so you'd think they would arm the planet to the teeth. Starfleet had at least a year to put orbital platforms into orbit, mobilize an army, create smaller but heavily armed ships, yet they didn't do any of that. All in all it just isn't very realistic. At the beginning of season 4 Enterprise was returned to the moment they just destroyed the Xindi weapon, so all those ships did very much came out of nowhere since not a single one was there when the battle was actually going on.

Personally I think Star Trek stayed stuck in 70s. Hardly any effort is being put into any sense of realism whatsoever

If I remember correctly, the first attack came as a surprise (assuming you're talking about the first Xindi attack). Also, Starfleet didn't have that many ships. By the end of the show, there were only a handful of NX-class ships. And before the NX, all Earth had was freighters and smaller ships.

When Enterprise came home after the first attack, and was attacked by the Klingons, there were Armed Starfleet ships there to cover their back.

When the Xnidi came the second time, they were nowhere to be found..

Also I found it odd there was no Vulcan ship, given how close relations were..

That said, I wasn't a huge fan of Enterprise at all.. it had a few good eps, and a lot of fluff.

Same with Voyager..

I loved TNG, and most of DS9.

TOS is a little campy for my taste, big given the time when it was made, I can't fault them.

TOS is a little campy for my taste, big given the time when it was made, I can't fault them.

TOS is a little campy, but on the other hand it has a kind of atmosphere that the later series don't have. There's a kind of funk, with brooding music, that gives you a sense of the moral dilemmas the crew are facing.

I think in TOS and ENG to an extent, the question of morality (in light of the counter culture of the day) was always more realistic than TNG's 'solved' approach to human ethics.