Off-duty deputy shoots, kills suspected Walmart shoplifter

I'm not putting all the blame on the Cop, if you read my earlier comment I said I know she was wrong to commit the crimes, I'm just saying the Cop handled it wrong and used excessive force. I'm not saying this stuff to the Cop, Im saying this to the people who are saying stuff like "Good" and "One less Scum" etc

You acknowledge that she was wrong to commit the crimes and yet you refuse to acknowledge that she alone is responsible for her death and not the cop who was only doing as he was supposed to according to the law? The lady alone escalated the situation when she physically assaulted and ran from him in the first place. That's the entire point you're failing to grasp.

As I understand the situation; the police officer opened the door, at which point the woman accelerated causing the officer to stumble and was dragged, at which point he fired.

She absolutely put him in harms way, but I don't see why he would shoot the woman. It's not as if immobilizing her saved him, as the car fled anyway....

I have no sympathy for the woman at all, but I don't think it was necessary for the police officer to shoot the woman and I am quite bamboozled as to why so many people here are arguing other wise.

...or am I missing something?

It was the officers choice to put himself in harms way when he kept hold of the door of a moving car. Now a Woman is dead for petty theft.

How can someone just not think?

If a officer says "stop", you stop. I don't care if you are picking your nose or inserting your magazine into your semiautomatic; you STOP. If you don't, that police offier has all the right to do whatever is necessary to protect his, your, and others around the situation's life.

Excessive force? Rodney King is excessive force, you one sided person (I call you that with light toned words because I dont want a warning).

How can someone just not think?

If a officer says "stop", you stop. I don't care if you are picking your nose or inserting your magazine into your semiautomatic; you STOP. If you don't, that police offier has all the right to do whatever is necessary to protect his, your, and others around the situation's life.

Excessive force? Rodney King is excessive force, you one sided person (I call you that with light toned words because I dont want a warning).

So we can't have a discussion without you wanting to resort to insults? Wow you take discussions seriously. And if you don't stop when a Cop tells you to? We'd have a lot of dead suspects if they could shoot to kill everytime a Criminal tried to run.

You acknowledge that she was wrong to commit the crimes and yet you refuse to acknowledge that she alone is responsible for her death and not the cop who was only doing as he was supposed to according to the law? The lady alone escalated the situation when she physically assaulted and ran from him in the first place. That's the entire point you're failing to grasp.

So hitting a cop with a handbag and running? I think the Cop showed poor judgement when he kept hold of the car door. If he'd let go and radio'd the Police with the cars description a Police Car could have chased them.

See that's what I have never under stood. Why run after them wasting all that energy. Yell stop, and if they keep running / ignore you, shoot them!

While I haven't read the article yet, in general I think this is how it should work!

• Like 1

As I understand the situation; the police officer opened the door, at which point the woman accelerated causing the officer to stumble and was dragged, at which point he fired.

She absolutely put him in harms way, but I don't see why he would shoot the woman. It's not as if immobilizing her saved him, as the car fled anyway....

I have no sympathy for the woman at all, but I don't think it was necessary for the police officer to shoot the woman and I am quite bamboozled as to why so many people here are arguing other wise.

...or am I missing something?

No. And i totally agree with you.

So you're saying that anyone choosing to break the law brought any consequences upon themselves? You don't just kill someone for stealing a few things from Walmart. The Policeman failed at his job hard.

He also almost got run over and was protecting himself. And yes, anyone that does break the law gets whatever comes to them. It's not a speeding ticket, it's ROBBERY and could've been homicide if they would have run him over our dragged him down the road and he died. Obviously, he could've have just gotten the license plate or something else, but once he was placed in harms way, he protected himself.

As for shooting her, he might have been aiming for something else, and in the process of failing ended up shooting her, or just been pointing at her, and once she hit the gas going towards him, he fired the round as a reflex. Either way, one less idiot in the world.

So we can't have a discussion without you wanting to resort to insults? Wow you take discussions seriously. And if you don't stop when a Cop tells you to? We'd have a lot of dead suspects if they could shoot to kill everytime a Criminal tried to run.

So hitting a cop with a handbag and running? I think the Cop showed poor judgement when he kept hold of the car door. If he'd let go and radio'd the Police with the cars description a Police Car could have chased them.

No. Unlike you the police officer has to, in fact is obligated to worry about hypothetical and what ifs.

Hypothetically speaking the moment she got into the car and turned it on it was a potential weapon. What if she hit some one else in the process of trying to get away? Who is at fault then? Do we blame the lady for killing some one with her car or the cop for not stopping her before it could happen?

No. Unlike you the police officer has to, in fact is obligated to worry about hypothetical and what ifs.

Hypothetically speaking the moment she got into the car and turned it on it was a potential weapon. What if she hit some one else in the process of trying to get away? Who is at fault then? Do we blame the lady for killing some one with her car or the cop for not stopping her before it could happen?

It doesn't say she almost ran people over trying to escape. You can't add those variables into the situation, if there had been something like that I'm sure it would have mentioned.

He also almost got run over and was protecting himself. And yes, anyone that does break the law gets whatever comes to them. It's not a speeding ticket, it's ROBBERY and could've been homicide if they would have run him over our dragged him down the road and he died. Obviously, he could've have just gotten the license plate or something else, but once he was placed in harms way, he protected himself.

He placed himself in harms way, I'm sorry but your opinion doesn't overwrite the law. Criminals don't "get what's coming up them" They get tried fairly by the law.

It doesn't say she almost ran people over trying to escape. You can't add those variables into the situation, if there had been something like that I'm sure it would have mentioned.

He placed himself in harms way, I'm sorry but your opinion doesn't overwrite the law. Criminals don't "get what's coming up them" They get tried fairly by the law.

Like I said, it's the cops job to worry about what ifs. That's why when you get pulled over for driving under the influence of alcohol you get your ass tossed in jail for the night. The moment she got into her car and decided to run she potentially turned her car into a murder weapon. Not to mention the fact that he was being dragged along for the ride.

• Like 2

And if he didn't place himself in harms way you'd argue that the police "dont do their jobs". It's obvious from this thread you either a) cant be pleased or b) are just looking to start an arguement.

• Like 2

The car became a weapon. He shot her. Defending himself. If she hadn't done that, should could have gotten a trial.

• Like 2

Sounds like the cop was in fear of his life. So he acted right.

How did the officer shooting the woman relieve the fear for his life?

They put themselves into the situation, and only made it worse on themselves.

The woman did not steal from the shop, assault the police officer & flee thinking she would be shot dead. That's not to defend her actions in any way; she committed a crime, and put her self and the officer in danger. But the police officer has a responsibility to make the correct judgment call. As per the article, I think don't he did.

How did the officer shooting the woman relieve the fear for his life?

The woman did not steal from the shop, assault the police officer & flee thinking she would be shot dead. That's not to defend her actions in any way; she committed a crime, and put her self and the officer in danger. But the police officer has a responsibility to make the correct judgment call. As per the article, I think don't he did.

We do not know if he had time to make any other descion plus we do not know all the circumstances of why he shot her was as the media is not reporting that part.

We do not know if he had time to make any other descion plus we do not know all the circumstances of why he shot her was as the media is not reporting that part.

I don't know about USA but here a cop wont try to arrest 3 women alone. He will let them go, take the license plate number and call for reinforcement to make the arrest.

• Like 2

I actually never insulted you but you are playing that card since you obviously have no "good" reasons to defend that what this deputy did was correct.

I said "How can someone just not think?" because you simply do not think of the entire situation. You don't see the elements: The car, the women, the police, the crime..........All you see is the women and their point of view. You have never put yourself in the deputy's point of view.

Same thing for "you one sided person"; You are only seeing the women's point of view.

Im sorry if the truth hurts and you take them as "insults"

If you don't stop, then yes, you deserve to get shot. Why would a innocent suspect run if they are innocent? If that innocent suspect stopped, a officer would not shoot them.

Why run if you have nothing to hide?

(I call you that with light toned words because I dont want a warning).

This to me says you wanted to say more but didn't want a warning. I'm not "running". I've put my point across in a discussion.

Our society should have evolved passed one that seeks death as a punishment for the most petty of crimes. If it has not, please, remove yourself from it so that we can start to evolve.

Well, you have ALOT of people to start 'evolving' as you put it. Lets start with everyone in the middle east, china, russia

If you don't stop, then yes, you deserve to get shot. Why would a innocent suspect run if they are innocent? If that innocent suspect stopped, a officer would not shoot them.

Why run if you have nothing to hide?

How on Earth does someone running from the police deserve to get shot?

Whether a person should be immobilized or not is a question of how much of a threat they present.

Heres all I am going to say. One time in my teens I was trying to have a word with someone I was arguing with I had the door open and was slightly leaning in and they hit the gas. Within half a second I was caught unable to let go because my hand got caught in something and I started to be drug. Thankfully they stopped pretty quick, but its easy to get almost run over when leaning into a car and it takes off.