Microsoft NeXtBox - What I would do to make the NeXtBox a success

The NeXtBox is due out in November 2013 and we should start hearing things before E3 2013.

Since that is going to be a little while, I thought up a simple list that I put together to see if I could think of ways to

get people to upgrade from their 360's.

If you have other ideas or better ideas go ahead and add them to this thread.

1) Allow free online game-play out of the box for everyone

2) Spend the money and get Black Ops 3 exclusive for November 2013 for the NeXtBox (3-6 month exclusive)

3) Sell the console (optional) for $250 with a 2 year contract (like a cellphone) and offer MMO/Movies/Music price per month or yearly price for a discount

4) Enable for the NeXtBox to be able record live TV or other sources and use it as a Tivo

5) Sell it in China and India instead of Japan (The console with digital downloads to combat piracy)

6) Spend $700 million in brand marketing before November 2013

7) Offer experiences that you can't get anywhere else (Show people what they are really missing out on)

8) Bundle it with a true next generation experience

9) Offer it on daytime TV shows and really get the word out

10) Make sure people know it's a brand new console and not just an upgrade like Kinect (however, offer full backward compatibility with the Xbox 360)

11) Social media per game (more integration with social media and gaming or movies/music)

12) Put a Sony label on it :p

That only works in some small countries in Europe. ;-p

In all seriousness I hope Sony's Orbis does well because right now Sony is seriously in the red and in Junk Bond status and there is some information going on that they are not going to have a powerful next generation system. We will see in a few months.

Sony's too big and has too many fingers in different pies, for this to be a breaker, historically, they only make changes if a product fails terribly, and sometimes not even then, but yes, I'm hoping they are going to continue with gaming, and hope it becomes profitable for them, so they continue doing so.

The alternative is a monopoly specially if lets say, Nintendo was to back out of gaming and go the way of Atari or Sega......

5) Sell it in China and India instead of Japan (The console with digital downloads to combat piracy)

Xbox has been available in India from ages. I dont get your point.

As someone stated, I don't think there should be free online multiplayer and that definitely wouldn't happen.

Although I figure we should be able to browse the web and use the apps without XBOX Live Gold, but I really don't care, it's cheap enough.

Sure is gonna suck waiting almost a year for it though, I'm sooo looking forward to getting one.

These points are the most stupid things ive heard. If they ever followed your idea then they would end up bankrupt.

How would they be bankrupt by selling more consoles early and getting more people hooked into a contract. Cellphone providers are not going out of business.

They can have free online game-play and offer something else instead.

Xbox has been available in India from ages. I dont get your point.

Well, I have never seen income reported from India.

Possibly one of the most uninformed, grasping-at-straws posts I've read in a while. Cheers for the chuckles...

This was a joke, right?

Oh, well let me respond:

Yes, let's kill off the revenue stream, great idea!

2) Spend the money and get Black Ops 3 exclusive for November 2013 for the NeXtBox (3-6 month exclusive)

Not gonna happen

4) Enable for the NeXtBox to be able record live TV or other sources and use it as a Tivo

No - it's a console. Making such a demand would make it need massive hardware customisation for each region too.

Utter tosh. Is available in both.

Pick a number from the air and pretend you know about marketing. XBOX is a VERY successful brand!

7) Offer experiences that you can't get anywhere else (Show people what they are really missing out on)

Wooly phrase that means nothing

See above

Already do

10) Make sure people know it's a brand new console and not just an upgrade like Kinect (however, offer full backward compatibility with the Xbox 360)

Oh please, this is getting silly now

11) Social media per game (more integration with social media and gaming or movies/music)

With what social platform?

Sorry, you have picked buzzwords and wishes. Don't pretend to understand marketing when you haven't got the foggiest how it's already being marketed!

No way, i prefer a quality service to a free service

...and this would make the next XBOX a success, i don't think so.

3) Sell the console (optional) for $250 with a 2 year contract (like a cellphone) and offer MMO/Movies/Music price per month or yearly price for a discount

They won't do this and they shouldn't. If you want to pay in instalments then there are retailers that offer this.

Certainly this point.

As pointed out above, it already does in India and selling it in China wont make it a success any where else.

You're crazy if you think MS wont be marketing the hell out of this any way.

Well duh. Very vague point that.

As above, you're clutching at straws

Your points are all starting to blend in to one...

...as above.

It's pretty much there already but i do expect to see more integration involved. It wont make a difference to me but i know others will use it.

Interesting thread but i think a lot of your points really revert back to the same issue, that it needs to be 'next gen' which it undoubtedly will be.

I'd like to see more PVR functionality built in. Silent updates and ability to suspend while still recording etc.

It needs to become the defacto all in one living room system BUT it should never forget it's routes and should always be the number one item for big TV gaming.

Maybe ship a package with a remote.

Also, really get the developers involved to bulk up the XBOX App Store.

EDIT: Sorry Nik (above), didn't read your post before posting mine and they're almost identical!

Okay, so you guys posted holes into what I posted. That is fine.

Here is what you guys didn't read. I want you to come up with a list of what you would do to help sell the console in November 2013.

What marketing plan would you give it, how much advertising. What would you do to push it.

This isn't a right or wrong, this is a dialog in what would you do....

Here is what you guys didn't read. I want you to come up with a list of what you would do to help sell the console in November 2013.

We don't need to help sell it, it's gonna sell itself, it's an XBOX.

• Like 2

Well, I have never seen income reported from India.

You havent seen one so it means it doesnt exist there. Well it answers your question why we dont believe in god. ( Offtopic i know )

Can i just say in regards to providing our own statements as to how to make the next xbox a success, erm

Just because idiocy and apathy have left this thread with one set so far != legitimacy to that post.

In fact until someone who works in marketing and has experience in this kind of consumer product gets on this, all were doing here is spouting spurious statements and guess work.

There is no magic list of bullet points to make Xbox a success, that depends on MS marketing team and the previous consumer relationships they`ve built. All of which from the previous 2 consoles means its going to be very hard for them to fail at all here, apart from in the eyes of the xbox elite who will never be truely happy anyways.

Which leads me to the final point,

How can the next Xbox not be a success?

and

Why create a thread to discuss making it a success, when the previous iteration has already been so successful?

You havent seen one so it means it doesnt exist there. Well it answers your question why we dont believe in god. ( Offtopic i know )

I know you said offtopic, but even that is disturbingly and mind-numbing silly. (How about you put some effort into making sense and post in the correct forum, just a hint)

I never have seen India on any sales chart or any information what-so-ever concerning Xbox in India. So, that might be why.

Those phantom sales

I know you said offtopic, but even that is disturbingly and mind-numbing silly. (How about you put some effort into making sense and post in the correct forum, just a hint)

I never have seen India on any sales chart or any information what-so-ever concerning Xbox in India. So, that might be why.

Those phantom sales

This in no way means India doesn't sell it.

What simrat said makes complete sense to me.

• Like 2

Those phantom sales

Maybe just maybe, MS dont handle the selling of Xbox in India, or some other corporate nonsense. That or you not having a job in the supply/sale chain of Xbox in India, and/or that maybe MS just hasnt made any info public about there Indian operations.

(Off topic) but whats mind numbingly silly about that? Each to there own beliefs, I dont imply your stupid/silly for your beliefs.

Sony thought this as well with the PlayStation. :-)

Which is selling absolutely fine. What point are you making here?

Those phantom sales

He makes perfect sense! You are wrong, deal with it!