Your main desktop operating system for 2013

397 members have voted

1. 1. Which is going to be your main desktop OS for 2013?

• Windows XP
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • Windows Server
    • A Windows version older than XP
    • Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
    • Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    • Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
    • Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    • A Mac OS X version older than Leopard
    • Ubuntu
    • Linux Mint
    • Debian GNU/Linux
    • Fedora
    • Other Linux distribution
    • FreeBSD
    • Solaris
    • OS/2
    • Other (details below)

For my work 10.7 (CS6 & FCX run incredibly stable) :cool:

For my games Win8 (steam and origin run flawlessly) :shiftyninja:

For my roms, emulators, & older games WinXP (need it for "patching") :pirate:

Because OSX sucks for gaming or anything "emulation" related, but color accuracy and profiles are MUCH better than that of Win7, Win8 and even winXP

Because Win8 sucks for anything pro-level workflows and mission-critical software, not to mention the lack of FCX and Avid/Scenarist

Because XP sucks at everything referenced above besides running outdated software, but flies during

emulation-based gaming under modern hardware.

And because who in the right mind would do EVERYTHING in a single system and expect good results ? :D

Like buying a Ferarri, and expect it to do good in every race front there is, from F1, to Rally, to LeMans, ONE specific "Car" for each specific race

In no way is anyone ever "forced" to create a Microsoft account. This has been brought up before and covered extensively.

If you feel that you should have the right to use the Windows app store without creating an account to manage your purchases with like every other ecosystem in the universe, then your feelings are misplaced. If, on the other hand, you have no interest in the Windows 8 ecosystem, you will never encounter a feature that requires a Microsoft ID. Chill.

Not completely true, it wouldn't even let me update the built in apps without signing in. Granted, you can switch files to open with the desktop apps instead, but if you use any of the apps you really have to have a Microsoft account. IMO pre packaged apps should be updated automatically but for everything else the account is pretty much a standard feature for app stores.

Not completely true, it wouldn't even let me update the built in apps without signing in. Granted, you can switch files to open with the desktop apps instead, but if you use any of the apps you really have to have a Microsoft account. IMO pre packaged apps should be updated automatically but for everything else the account is pretty much a standard feature for app stores.

Just like it has been on OSX and nobody seemed to complain. Even with bundled Apps, no apple ID, no app updates.

• 1 month later...

Im using Arch Linux (kernel 3.7.*) as my main operating system. It does what I need and enables me to have installed only the applications, services and libraries that I need.

Just like it has been on OSX and nobody seemed to complain. Even with bundled Apps, no apple ID, no app updates.

OS X Software updates for the OS and its bundled apps do not require you to sign in with an apple ID, despite the fact that the App Store UI is used to deliver them. Neither are you required to sign in with an apple ID before you can even use bundled apps like Mail or Calendar or Messaging (like you have to do on Windows 8).

is allready windows 8

OS X Software updates for the OS and its bundled apps do not require you to sign in with an apple ID, despite the fact that the App Store UI is used to deliver them. Neither are you required to sign in with an apple ID before you can even use bundled apps like Mail or Calendar or Messaging (like you have to do on Windows 8).

u dont have to be signed in to use the apps at all i just installed winodows 8 on my sisters laptop and she doesnt use a ms account

Where's DOS? A lot of (I should add "large") retail outlets in Australia still use it (their contracts with IBM go back to the early 90s). The hardware still does the job!

I still see Windows 98 around the place too.

u dont have to be signed in to use the apps at all i just installed winodows 8 on my sisters laptop and she doesnt use a ms account

Maybe I'm doing something wrong then. How do I proceed once I get to the following screen after I launch e.g. Mail or the Calendar app? Cancelling gets me to the second attached shot.

post-5569-0-80909000-1362920020.png

post-5569-0-78099100-1362920029.png

Windows 7 x64 until 8 pops some great functionality (or eyecandy) I cannot live without, making Win 7 old.

Installed 8, couldn't be bothered past killing the touch interface. Too much hassle to get stuff I get out of the box with Win 7. They work the same after you rid the touch garbage.