Firefox 17 without social api

Thanx n_k. Works fine in Fedora 17 x64. Am stepping on glass though with Ubuntu 12.04.1 x64. Haven't tried it for Win8 yet though.

'Am stepping on glass though with Ubuntu 12.04.1 x64'

How so?

I can compile for linux statically, which would make firefox much bigger but wouldn't use system libraries and should theoretically work on any distro

I don't think recompiling is necessary, but if you want to do it for fun, more power to you. AFAIK, the social media crap is disabled unless explicitly enabled, but there may be a way to permanently shut it off in about:config. If not there, maybe there's a command switch to disable it?

but there may be a way to permanently shut it off in about:config. If not there, maybe there's a command switch to disable it?

There is social.enabled and social.active if you're wanting to stick to the official builds, should be false by default if I recall.

'Am stepping on glass though with Ubuntu 12.04.1 x64'

How so?

I can compile for linux statically, which would make firefox much bigger but wouldn't use system libraries and should theoretically work on any distro

Because I always have issues compiling under Ubuntu.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone that's interested, they've hidden a few more pesky instances of this social bull**** in firefox 18, old diff doesn't fully work though it does remove most, removed the last bits by hand just now and just compiling for arch now in my new RAID0 setup (assuming I didn't balls anything up and it broke something!)

EDIT: Oh and I've not got a clue how any of these changes are going to impact webRTC. It is firefox 18 with webRTC right? Someone will need to test that or show/explain how I can test it.

Edited by n_K

what exactly is this "social bull****"? I've never seen any superflous social thing in either Fx17 or 18

It's for FF17 and not FF18 as 18 has much more of it in but feel free to have a look at this patch and you'll see what it is and how it's loaded constantly even if it's apparently 'disabled'; https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=323374

what exactly is this "social bull****"? I've never seen any superflous social thing in either Fx17 or 18

it's disabled by default.

You need to go in about:config and enable it by yourself.

Personally i don't care as i use FF for debugging only. The responsive design view is so full of awesomeness.