Steam for Linux open beta

Steam for Linux Beta Now Available to All

The Steam for Linux beta client is now available to all Steam users, so if you've been patiently waiting for an invitation to join us, consider yourself officially invited!

With a growing catalog of Linux-supported games, an active Steam for Linux community group, and a new GitHub bug reporting repository, the timing?s right to jump in and share your feedback.

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/news/9638/

• Like 2

They're expanding their market to other platforms and that's a good thing. It's hardly "the end of Windows".

Props to them for having a Github repository.

So This is the end of Windows.

Yeah, because that's what happened when Steam was released for OSX (What, like two years ago?). Everything was changed and people moved to Mac, after dumping their gaming machines and forgetting about Windows.

And the game developers? They just rushed in and developed their games to support OSX, too.

Yeah, because that's what happened when Steam was released for OSX (What, like two years ago?). Everything was changed and people moved to Mac, after dumping their gaming machines and forgetting about Windows.

And the game developers? They just rushed in and developed their games to support OSX, too.

Well, you can't run any video card on a mac, and the ones they do spec are often sadly outdated. Also Apple controls the driver releases.

So... Linux is at least starting out better.

Well, you can't run an video card on a mac, and the ones they do spec are often sadly outdated. Also Apple controls the driver releases.

So... Linux is at least starting out better.

This.

forgot my /FOSSnazi tag.

Why?

Windows 8...

Due to Windows 8, and the quality Linux Distros coming out, I think more and more people are taking the plunge. Currently the major hold back is gaming. If my games ran on Linux without issue, I would likely be using it as a daily driver. I don't like/agree with the direction Microsoft is going, and it's unfortunate that the only way to have my computer as I want it, is to stick with an older version of Windows.

That, in my opinion, is why.

• Like 2

Opinions are great, and all, but the answer to "why" is because Steam is creating its own console which will be built on Linux, and this is a) a great side benefit for those of us on PCs, and b) a huge QA opportunity.

It's not like Linux gaming hasn't had a chance in the past. Back when the choice was the relatively crap Windows ME, and Red Hat was making a real push and was still free, ID and a few other companies released Linux versions of games, that you could actually find at the store and buy in a box. It's never been a Windows vs. Linux thing.

Why?

Two reasons.

First, the Linux gaming market is basically untapped. There aren't many of us, but that's probably because there aren't many games (chicken/egg scenario). There is money to be made however, since the Humble Indie Bundles consistently show that Linux users pay more for their bundles than Windows and Mac, so that's got to mean something.

Second, the Steam console is coming, and it will run Linux. Releasing the Steam Linux beta is basically a sly beta test for the Steam client that will be used in the console. Getting developers to write games for Linux will also give them a bigger collection of launch games when they finally release the Steam box.

Opinions are great, and all, but the answer to "why" is because Steam is creating its own console which will be built on Linux, and this is a) a great side benefit for those of us on PCs, and b) a huge QA opportunity.

It's not like Linux gaming hasn't had a chance in the past. Back when the choice was the relatively crap Windows ME, and Red Hat was making a real push and was still free, ID and a few other companies released Linux versions of games, that you could actually find at the store and buy in a box. It's never been a Windows vs. Linux thing.

Truth. Valve do not care about linux users at all, the whole Windows 8 is bad thing is just a complete bull crap scape goat reason for trying to cover up the fact they want to have their own gaming machine, which will have to run linux.

Windows 8...

Due to Windows 8, and the quality Linux Distros coming out, I think more and more people are taking the plunge. Currently the major hold back is gaming. If my games ran on Linux without issue, I would likely be using it as a daily driver. I don't like/agree with the direction Microsoft is going, and it's unfortunate that the only way to have my computer as I want it, is to stick with an older version of Windows.

Linux is great for a lot of things, namely hacking, however it is not good at gaming nor will it ever be. Drivers, support, market share and above all -fragmentation are going to continue to hold it back. Microsoft have not done anything to stomp out steam, so I don't know what you mean by the direction they are headed because last time I checked, steam was running on this Windows 8 box just fine, exactly the same (if not faster :p) then it was on Windows 7.

I was invited to the beta and since I was I got the introvision software bundle, torchlight 2 (even though it doesn't have support for linux) and I'll be getting red orchestra 2 if/when it's ported to linux.

I think that can finally put an end the endless amounts of bull**** I've kept hearing over the years of 'oh its linux, people dont pay for software'

Truth. Valve do not care about linux users at all, the whole Windows 8 is bad thing is just a complete bull crap scape goat reason for trying to cover up the fact they want to have their own gaming machine, which will have to run linux.

Valve has significantly advanced gaming on OSX through SteamPlay and it's continuing that momentum by throwing its weight behind Linux. I don't see why you feel the need to complain when Valve is doing more to advance gaming on the platform that virtually every other company combined. It's even been helping nVidia improve their Linux drivers. Valve has a long history of working for gamers and advancing the platform - your cynicism is baseless.

Thanks to Valve i now buy games and have fun with the community. On the old days we had to separate everything. Of course this can be dangerious if they take the whole market, witch i dont think that is going to happend.

Valve does a great job updating their games and a strong engine.