Sign in to follow this  

Linux, as a Whole

ichi    356

I find it quite challenging after the first install but, as someone else said a few pages back, after you "make it pretty", then what? :)

Then I use it, both at home and at work :D

It's true that not every piece of software you might need works on Linux, that's why I do all my guitar recording on a Windows laptop (although this actually has more to do with the fact that the PodX3 is not fully supported on Linux).

But anyway I don't need audio recording software on my HTPC, and being an IT consultant neither do I need that on my work laptop.

At home I can watch movies or listen music perfectly fine with it, and then also other stuff like running a Minecraft server, building my own parental control system from scratch with just cron and a few bash scripts, running a plex server, forwarding any kind of notification event (IFTTT style) to my phone through xmpp with a simple one-liner bash script, delivering text sent from our phones as synth speech through the HTPC speakers, connecting the PS3 bluetooth mic to chat with friends over Hangouts while playing instead of relaying on the crappy PS3 chat system (and BTW pairing the PS3 mic on Linux worked OOTB while it turned out to be a freaking nightmare of driver hunting to get it working on W7)...

Vester    53

Does linux give me something useful windows does not? NO

Does Linux run the all software i use? No (I know you can get alternative software but why should i have to learn something new when what i have works?)

Can i play all my games on linux?: No

Can i cripple the linux OS easy?: Yes

Will i need to hunt forums for support for linux: Yes

Will all my hardware get nice new drivers updates or be supported: No

If i installed linux would i still need to boot into windows for stuff? Yes i would

If i just had windows would i need to boot into linux for stuff?: No linux has nothing on it that i can't have on windows 8 or a VM.

Should i install linux? No

Will linux ever take off? Nope, never will it has to many drawbacks. You can't use linux for everything unlike windows and the support for drivers is just shocking.

The only use is has is for people who cannot afford windows, or can't/dont want to crack windows, Or if you want to look "cool" to friends who in reality think you are just dumb and have no idea what you are banging on about anyway. Stick with windows simple. Linux is not cool and does not make you look cool of smart. It makes you look like a cheap fool.

firey    3,631

Does Linux run the all software i use? No (I know you can get alternative software but why should i have to learn something new when what i have works?)

If i installed linux would i still need to boot into windows for stuff? Yes i would

If i just had windows would i need to boot into linux for stuff?: No linux has nothing on it that i can't have on windows 8 or a VM.

Will linux ever take off? Nope, never will it has to many drawbacks. You can't use linux for everything unlike windows and the support for drivers is just shocking.

The only use is has is for people who cannot afford windows, or can't/dont want to crack windows, Or if you want to look "cool" to friends who in reality think you are just dumb and have no idea what you are banging on about anyway. Stick with windows simple. Linux is not cool and does not make you look cool of smart. It makes you look like a cheap fool.

Rather be a cheap fool than a tool.

• Like 1

Mindovermaster    920

Will he ever shut up? No

Kreuger    104

Please take your fud and kindly stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

• Like 1

migo    106

I don't understand dual booting Windows and Linux. Make a choice. It just seems like a ###### to have both. Everything you can do in Linux can be done in Windows. And chances are, you won't have to Google to get it to work in Windows.

Windows has had problems in the past, that only really got resolved with Windows 7, which was categorically better than everything else. Windows 8 is taking things in a new direction, and I like some of what they're doing, and dislike other things that they're doing. I'm not willing to go to Mac (I tried that too, ended up just having Windows installed on my MacBook). Depending on whether they improve on the stuff that I like, and don't go any further with what I don't like, Windows 9 and on will continue to be the best option. On the other hand, if they decide to remove legacy support (small chance, but it could happen), and go all in with the walled garden, then Linux might be the only choice going forward. So it's good to keep an eye on things.

• Like 1

Brandon H    1,483

That is the attitude that keeps the linux community small and insignificant.

i'm not even talking about linux anymore at that point, I'm talking about the world in general

it's a basic skill for goodness sake

we seem to have forgotten that with the introduction recent spreading of the internet the past 10 years

migo    106

Ive seen this reply to plenty of people in the Windows, Mac and Programming sections, it's human nature to want instant gratification.

It's more an exception than a rule, although in a Mac section you have to be careful not to mention that you could do something in Windows and aren't sure how to do it on a Mac. With a programming section it's rather different, and that's part of the problem, Linux gurus - the guys who often have the answer - are assuming that everyone else who uses Linux wants to be a programmer as well.

I don't think there's any harm or an elitest attitude to try and push people to be more self reliant,

Yes there is, Linux marketshare suffers as a result. Way more people would be using Linux right now if nobody in the Linux community were a jerk to newbies.

Admittedly I don't use to browse Linux forums, but sometimes I've had to Google something and found a forum thread in the results, yet I don't recall ever seeing people being rude with the OP :ermm: then again I might not read the whole thread but even if some people were impolite the overall tone seems to be friendly.

I mean, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but it seems to me that tagging the Linux community as rude or elitist is an overstatement.

Often the only support is an IRC channel, and IRC channels won't show you a history of asshatery.

Linux does have a few things Windows doesn't, LaTeX being the biggest one I can think of, and it's a pain trying to install it on Windows. Sure, VM is the better option, but that assumes you have sufficient hardware to run both side by side.

i'm not even talking about linux anymore at that point, I'm talking about the world in general

it's a basic skill for goodness sake

It doesn't matter what you're talking about, it's still the reason Linux adoption is so low. If you care about more people using Linux, you'll change your attitude, at the very least when it comes to Linux.

Brandon H    1,483

It doesn't matter what you're talking about, it's still the reason Linux adoption is so low. If you care about more people using Linux, you'll change your attitude, at the very least when it comes to Linux.

i don't care about people using linux, i hardly use it myself (i like to mess with it every now and then but that's about it)

i just can't understand why you think what you're saying makes sense

we've been taught to use the sources provided to us as an intelligent species long before the internet or linux ever existed. why should that be any different now that the internet is around? isn't that the whole reason we have things like wikis and such?

migo    106

Wikis are useful for people who already understand what they're looking up, not newbies. That's like suggesting someone learn a language by reading a dictionary.

• Like 1

ichi    356

Often the only support is an IRC channel, and IRC channels won't show you a history of asshatery.

How so? There are probably both official and unofficial forums for every distro known to man with a number of users in the double digits, and then all the distro agnostic Linux forums and LUGS.

I would never consider going for support to an IRC unless it was an official channel were devs were hanging around with the explicit intent of helping users.

migo    106

Even if there are forums, they're usually hanging around in IRC channels, you might get no response at all on a forum.

Kreuger    104

I am always willing to try and help newbies and never once have I said "go read a wiki" or anything like that. I too was once new and I understand how intimidating it can be to have to relearn a lot of things. BUT and this is a huge freaking one, people will help. Go search what it was like for me starting out. You can see the kinds of trouble I had and the asshat I was myself, nevermind those trying to help me. And they still helped as best as they could! I'm not proud of who I was then but hey, I've grown and matured. Things are different, I approach things in a more intelligent manner and so should everyone else.

HawkMan    5,164

How so? There are probably both official and unofficial forums for every distro known to man with a number of users in the double digits, and then all the distro agnostic Linux forums and LUGS.

I would never consider going for support to an IRC unless it was an official channel were devs were hanging around with the explicit intent of helping users.

Most linux distro have official channels. and there you can get answers in seconds as opposed to hours-days on a forum, if ever. That is, if the guys n the channel don't act like better than thou jerks.

Yorak    416

1. Does linux give me something useful windows does not? NO

2. Does Linux run the all software i use? No (I know you can get alternative software but why should i have to learn something new when what i have works?)

3. Can i play all my games on linux?: No

4. Can i cripple the linux OS easy?: Yes

5. Will i need to hunt forums for support for linux: Yes

6. Will all my hardware get nice new drivers updates or be supported: No

7. If i installed linux would i still need to boot into windows for stuff? Yes i would

8. If i just had windows would i need to boot into linux for stuff?: No linux has nothing on it that i can't have on windows 8 or a VM.

9. Should i install linux? No

10. Will linux ever take off? Nope, never will it has to many drawbacks. You can't use linux for everything unlike windows and the support for drivers is just shocking.

01. It gives plenty, but it is already obvious you are a bit too "slow" to comprehend these.

02. I'm not sure, does it? Maybe, maybe not. Are there alternatives to the software you know and love? Most likely. Are you too stubborn to try them? Most likely as well.

03. That is one thing I have never claimed Linux to be is a viable alternative gaming OS. It isn't. If you want to play the newest and greatest games, stick with Windows.

04. Can you cripple the OS easily? Lol. Windows is very extremely easy to cripple. For example... I make a living from from easy it is to cripple Windows. ;)

05. Do people need to "hunt forums" for support in any other OS? Uh... what the hell do you think Neowin provides? Lmao!

06. List all of your hardware. Let us see, here. Hardware support in Linux is definitely as good or better as it is in Windows. Sorry fella, do your homework next time.

07. Like I said, it depends on a few things. If you are a gamer, yes probably. If you use some very specific software that there is no viable alternative in Linux? Yes again.

08. I just have Linux on my laptop and I never boot in to Windows for anything as it is not even on that machine to begin with.

09. Edit: I shall try to be a bit nicer. ;)

10. *Le Sigh* This question harms me from all the crap within it.

• Like 1

HawkMan    5,164

1: examples

2: There are no real alternatives to PS (no the GIMP isn't it) there's no alternative to 3DSMAX (don't even mention Blender, then you obviously never touched a 3D app), Office, while you can do simple office work with OOo and friends, it's usability and productivity doesn't come close to the real thing. that's just to start with.

3: not just the newest and greatest, but one of the reasons for having a computer is being able to game on it. without that I might as well just use a tablet and my consoles.

4: any OS can be cippled "easily" so... BUT at least Windows is fairly easy to get back to working order when it's crippled. and heck if the user himself bother to try aany of the brainless built in tools like system recovery, he could easily do it himself. But then there'd be less work :p

5: any Windows computer sold comes with 1-2 years tech support, which is generally faster and better than neowin except for obscure tech problems. which is generally what's usually asked here, not the usual dumb user dribble.

6: So my Nvidia card is better supported in Linux.... doesn't seem that way.

7: not just games

8: this point is just a repeat of other points, and depends largely on what you do anyway.

9: don't call other member stupid.

10:well it IS the year of linux on the desktop... again... linux as it is today isn't going to take over anything. might as well face that fact, it works for some people and it works for some companies. but it's not where it needs to be and even if it was, everyone from OEM to software makers to game makers, they prefer just having to deal with one OS. SO noone's going to push for full adoption of linux on the desktop, it doesn't benefit anyone really. It's an enthusiast OS(and sometimes their family) and that's ok. it doesn't need to be more.

Yorak    416

1: examples

2: There are no real alternatives to PS (no the GIMP isn't it) there's no alternative to 3DSMAX (don't even mention Blender, then you obviously never touched a 3D app), Office, while you can do simple office work with OOo and friends, it's usability and productivity doesn't come close to the real thing. that's just to start with.

3: not just the newest and greatest, but one of the reasons for having a computer is being able to game on it. without that I might as well just use a tablet and my consoles.

4: any OS can be cippled "easily" so... BUT at least Windows is fairly easy to get back to working order when it's crippled. and heck if the user himself bother to try aany of the brainless built in tools like system recovery, he could easily do it himself. But then there'd be less work :p

5: any Windows computer sold comes with 1-2 years tech support, which is generally faster and better than neowin except for obscure tech problems. which is generally what's usually asked here, not the usual dumb user dribble.

6: So my Nvidia card is better supported in Linux.... doesn't seem that way.

7: not just games

8: this point is just a repeat of other points, and depends largely on what you do anyway.

9: don't call other member stupid.

10:well it IS the year of linux on the desktop... again... linux as it is today isn't going to take over anything. might as well face that fact, it works for some people and it works for some companies. but it's not where it needs to be and even if it was, everyone from OEM to software makers to game makers, they prefer just having to deal with one OS. SO noone's going to push for full adoption of linux on the desktop, it doesn't benefit anyone really. It's an enthusiast OS(and sometimes their family) and that's ok. it doesn't need to be more.

01. Okay, if you do not mind, I am going to quote from a small article I found on deviantART. I do tend to agree with most of what this person said, so I feel like it is a good starting point. It says the following:

So, you?re a new, or fairly moderate Linux user, who wants to know what the true advantages of Linux over Windows are? There are several advantages of Linux, and of course, some disadvantages to using the Linux operating system. This article covers 5 advantages of using Linux over Windows, and lists a few disadvantages as well.

Advantages of Linux:

Cost ? The most obvious advantage of using Linux is the fact that it is free to obtain, while Microsoft products are available for a hefty and sometimes recurring fee. Microsoft licenses typically are only allowed to be installed on a single computer, whereas a Linux distribution can be installed on any number of computers, without paying a single dime.

Security ? In line with the costs, the security aspect of Linux is much stronger than that of Windows. Why should you have to spend extra money for virus protection software? The Linux operating system has been around since the early nineties and has managed to stay secure in the realm of widespread viruses, spyware and adware for all these years. Sure, the argument of the Linux desktop not being as widely used is a factor as to why there are no viruses. My rebuttle is that the Linux operating system is open source and if there were a widespread Linux virus released today, there would be hundreds of patches released tomorrow, either by ordinary people that use the operating system or by the distribution maintainers. We wouldn?t need to wait for a patch from a single company like we do with Windows.

Choice (Freedom) ? The power of choice is a great Linux advantage. With Linux, you have the power to control just about every aspect of the operating system. Two major features you have control of are your desktops look and feel by way of numerous Window Managers, and the kernel. In Windows, your either stuck using the boring default desktop theme, or risking corruption or failure by installing a third-party shell.

Software - There are so many software choices when it comes to doing any specific task. You could search for a text editor on Freshmeat and yield hundreds, if not thousands of results. My article on 5 Linux text editors you should know about explains how there are so many options just for editing text on the command-line due to the open source nature of Linux. Regular users and programmers contribute applications all the time. Sometimes its a simple modification or feature enhancement of a already existing piece of software, sometimes its a brand new application. In addition, software on Linux tends to be packed with more features and greater usability than software on Windows. Best of all, the vast majority of Linux software is free and open source. Not only are you getting the software for no charge, but you have the option to modify the source code and add more features if you understand the programming language. What more could you ask for?

Hardware - Linux is perfect for those old computers with barely any processing power or memory you have sitting in your garage or basement collecting dust. Install Linux and use it as a firewall, a file server, or a backup server. There are endless possibilities. Old 386 or 486 computers with barely any RAM run Linux without any issue. Good luck running Windows on these machines and actually finding a use for them.

Flexibility

You don?t have to deal with anti-piracy schemes and additional ?hoop jumping?.

What about not needing to assess the number of security solutions out there for Linux. Just visit the Wilders Security Forums, and you?ll see what I mean!

There isn?t like 1 AV solution, or a few access control solutions (SELinux, grsecurity, etc)?In Windows, there?s like 50+ AV solutions, a whole dozen anti-malware apps, intrusion prevention, anti-this, anti-that, etc?People say this one is better, others say that one is better. In less than 10min, you?d be pretty confused as to which is the best for your needs!

Disadvantages of Linux:

Understanding ? Becoming familiar with the Linux operating system requires patience as well as a strong learning curve. You must have the desire to read and figure things out on your own, rather than having everything done for you. Check out the 20 must read howto?s and guides for Linux.

Compatibility ? Because of its free nature, Linux is sometimes behind the curve when it comes to brand new hardware compatibility. Though the kernel contributors and maintainers work hard at keeping the kernel up to date, Linux does not have as much of a corporate backing as alternative operating systems. Sometimes you can find third party applications, sometimes you can?t.

Alternative Programs ? Though Linux developers have done a great job at creating alternatives to popular Windows applications, there are still some applications that exist on Windows that have no equivalent Linux application. Read Alternatives to Windows Applications to find out some of the popular alternatives.

Now that you have an understanding of some of the advantages of Linux, its time get out there and experiment. Windows can be a great tool for the lazy and incompetent, but it takes a true scholar and one who wants to learn to run a robust operating system like Linux.

02. I said most likely there are alternatives that can be used. I have done plenty of college work in LibreOffice. Is it different than MS Office? Of course. It takes a bit to get adjusted to it. People have complained about LibreOffice not being able to handle large database files, etc. but I have never come across this problem, nor has any other Linux user I know personally. I am not one of those people that is going to say that GIMP is an alternative to PS. It does a lot and is very underestimated as far as what it is capable of. I will tell you that at the very least. Blender has a long way to go, you are correct on that.

03. One of the reasons for having a computer to you, that is. I use Windows on my desktop because I too am a gamer. But not everybody buys a computer for gaming. I am willing to bet a good majority do not.

04. I have purposely crippled my Arch installation and fixed it in a matter of minutes. For fun, lol. You know when people say to read "X" Wiki, there is a reason. Not for all Linux distributions, but I know with Arch Linux there is almost always a solution in the Wiki if you search hard enough.

05. Honestly, even when I was less tech savvy I found answers easier on the internet than I did by calling some customer service representative that can barely speak English. I am not trying to be rude, I am being dead serious. The internet is a powerful powerful tool and I use it as such.

06. Which NVIDIA card do you have?

07. I am not trying to force you to use Linux, I am only explaining why I disagreed with the other fella.

08. Sure, this is up for debate. We could go back and forth on this point all day.

09. It seemed as if he was purposely trolling. Why else would his post have seemed so awful? I like to address these at times. If and when I act stupid, any member is free to point it out at any time. I welcome it. :)

10. Again, I am not a person that says, "This is the year of the Linux!". Or that says, "Linux is a viable gaming OS!". I try to remain realistic. I do know what it is worth and what it means to me and others, though. I did not even begin to explain the uses in a corporate environment. Do you know how many banks, government facilities, etc. use Linux? Even Wall Street. I could have brought that up before as this topic is called, "Linux, as a Whole".

HawkMan    5,164

OK, that article is obvious written by a huge linux fanboy

Cost: Not really a factor, usually included with the hardware, and OEM licenses are cheap for anyone else. and in general, sometimes it's worth paying for.

Security: No, Linux is not more secure than windows, not since vista anyway. Perhaps BSD configured to the most secure, but at that point BSD is generally useless for anything. And speaking of which. remember how everyone hated the onstant UAC popups in Vista ? OMG everytime I use my linux boxes, I want to punch through the screen from the constant security password popups, I mean OMG!!!

Choice/Freedom: ugh... this one again... the ever repeated FOSS puke.let's not pretend you didn't have as much choice on windows. Lets take the example he uses here, shells. well you can use shells on windows, and they work just fine, sure they don't have all the features that are in windows. Just like different linux shells don't have the same features.I myself not only used shells on windows back in the day, I even made skins for IceShell before it was unfortunately outdated, and did some work on various forms of litestep, and they worked fine and where stable. but I realized that most shell task where better in plain windows.

And as for windows shells breaking apps, ummm yeah... kind of like different shells on linux will break apps as well...

Software: Linux vs Windows... Seriously... you want to bring software selection into this... let's both agree this point is best ignored, huh ? ;)

Hardware: Yeah linux works better on old hardware, in general... though by now old hardware is getting so fast, relatively speaking, that it can run fine on 7/8. the only exception is REALLY old, as in ancient hardware without hardware acceleration. But honestly, for actual use,whatever OS you put on it, the hardware then is so slow it's not really usable for actual day to day use.

flexibility: umm, for some reason AV or somethign is under here, I dunno but whatever.

So earlier software choice was a good thing, but now, having multiple AV software to chose between is a bad thing. and Linux DOES have AV. And if linux ever where to get a measurable marketshare, you would most definitely need AV in linux as well, but it would in general be good to have AV on them beforehand as a precaution. It's not like linux hasn't been affected before, linux powered routers have been hacked repeatedly.

I mean this guy is clearly a Linux fan boy with some huge blinders.

as I said before, linux is fine for it's purposes and for many people, but it just isn't for the majority of computer users.

as for gaming, I think you'll find that the majority in fact do play on them, granted the majority also plays The Sims and something-ville on FB but still. /shrug

also as for what Nvidia card, doesn't matter, pretty much any of them has screwy drivers on the latest buntu based distros(and that includes Mint) but anything from GT9800M to GT640M at least.

ArialBlue    395

That small article you quoted was epic win, I decided to reply to it in this thread for the pure satisfaction of doing so.

I bet that there is a positive correlation between price and product satisfaction.

"Why should you have to spend extra money for virus protection software?"

What individual, with a functioning brain, does this?

I once had a virus on Windows 7. To get it, I had to remove the UAC via a registry hack.

"the power to control just about every aspect of the operating system"

This is a bad thing. It comes from the idea that writing a site from scrach is a better practice than using a content framework like Wordpress.

"your either stuck using the boring default desktop theme"

Change the wallpaper and the colors, move taskbar to the top of the screen.

A good gui doesn't need user tweaking to function.

"Regular users and programmers contribute applications all the time."

By paying for them.

"5 Linux text editors you should know about"

Five. He said five.

"you have the option to modify the source code and add more features if you understand the programming language"

Who the ***k does this? I don't see what I want, I uninstall

"What more could you ask for?"

One text editor instead of five.

"old computers with barely any processing power"

Get thrown away.

"Install Linux and use it as a firewall, a file server, or a backup server."

No thanks, I prefer godaddy

"Good luck running Windows on these machines and actually finding a use for them."

My i7 SLI rig found a good use with Windows.

"You don?t have to deal with anti-piracy schemes and additional ?hoop jumping?."

Well, duh, nothing to pirate.

"In less than 10min, you?d be pretty confused as to which is the best for your needs!"

Most vendors have AV software. Googling "windows antivirus" and downloading doesn't take ten minutes either.

This is a funny point, when this person, says that the advantages of linux are open source programs which you can add functionality in (few months of studying c++ and understanding the source code).

"having everything done for you"

Translation: To use Linux, you will loose time on trivial tasks.

"Windows can be a great tool for the lazy and incompetent, but it takes a true scholar and one who wants to learn to run a robust operating system like Linux."

OCD is not scholarly. Gatting **** done is not lazy and incompetent.

Praetor    987

I love Linux and it took me a long time to finally admit that there is a lot of great software that is available for Windows that you can't get for Linux. And basically without apps you are sunk.

basically this. I use Windows + OSX + Linux almost everyday, but until Linux supports remote desktop gateway (RD Gateway) it's pretty useless for me, which is a shame because almost every Windows app i use there's a similar one in Linux (with the exception of Windows only apps, like Office or logmein console).

+longgonebn    74

One of the main reasons I moved to Linux and plan to stay with it for awhile is because it is free.

For a long time I was a huge time pirate when it came to everything, but I stopped doing that now except for the OS, now I don't need too.

Also, once you learn the basics, and start using it all the time things aren't all that hard.

Also, anyone who says you can't do the same work in OpenOffice/Libre/Google Docs is crazy. I haven't used a Microsoft Office product for years now.

Karl L.    275

"you have the option to modify the source code and add more features if you understand the programming language"

Who the ***k does this? I don't see what I want, I uninstall

For the record, I do this. If a program has most of the features I want or is almost perfect, I will often try my hand at bending it to my will. If I feel that my solution is good enough (not merely hacked together for one-time use), I will often submit my patch back upstream so other users can benefit as well. While source code availability doesn't directly affect average users, it often indirectly affects them. Awesome features often don't get added to software because a few users request them, but because developers, or at least a developer, is passionate about them.

For example, I learned Perl mid-last-year specifically so that I could add a new feature that I really wanted to an open-source program implemented mostly in Perl. Incidentally, I fixed a few long-standing bugs and was able to refactor some nasty parts of the code along the way. I even implemented a requested feature (which I didn't realize until I looked at the bug tracker later) because it was required for my new feature. Even if most users don't need the feature I implemented, they will at least benefit from the bug fixes. That is the beauty of open-source.

• Like 2

brn    6

Ubuntu 12.04 works perfectly for me (after exchanging one small piece of hardware) so I have ditched Windows. Windows 7 is a great OS and I recommend it to others, but Linux is free and does almost the exact same thing. I just can't justify $200 to chat, browse, use Facebook and play WoW with friends anymore.

ichi    356

there's no alternative to 3DSMAX

Not a good example, considering there's stuff like Maya.

HawkMan    5,164

Not a good example, considering there's stuff like Maya.

If you did any work inthefield, even home amateur stuff, you'd know that maya and max are two tools, while somewhat tenter changeable, they are ot fully, and they are generally used for different things.

So no, still good example. The majority of work done in max, doesn't translate well to maya, max on theotherhand, is nearly as good as maya at nurbs modeling which is the primary use for maya.