10 Insanely Overpaid Public Employees

Basketball coach

Earnings: $1,200,000

Where:SUNY Binghamton, NY

Kevin Broadus, who had a five-year $1 million contract, was let go from his job as head coach for little-known SUNY Binghamton men?s basketball team in 2009 over an ethics scandal. He sued the school for discrimination, and received a $1.2 million buyout to drop the suit. Taxpayers got to pick up all the legal bills too. In June, Broadus was hired as an assistant coach at Georgetown, where he has worked previously.

Hospital Rainmaker

Earnings: $841,557

Where:University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center

Retiring from his position as head of the medical center at UT Southwestern in 2008, C. Kern Wildenthal now devotes most of his time and effort to ?philanthropic pursuits? for the medical center as "assistant to the president for community affairs", according to a press release. With $841,557 earnings in 2010, the university must have been feeling philanthropic towards him, as well.

Chancellor

Earnings: $813,892

Where:University of Texas System

Even with budget cuts, Chancellor Francisco G. Cigarroa hasn?t given up his fat salary. The total cost to employ Cigarroa in 2009 was $813,892, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Prison Doctor

Earnings: $784,596

Where:High Desert State Prison, CA

Prison Psychiatrist

Earnings: $737,057

Where:Stockton, California

CEO and vice president hospital affairs

Earnings: $721,043

Where:Stonybrook Hospital, NY

Prison Dentist

Earnings: $621,971

Where:Avenal State Prison, CA

Chancellor

Earnings: $560,038

Where:City University of New York

As CUNY deals with $205 million in budget cuts, and Chancellor Matthew Goldstein proposes raising tuition on some 533,000 students in the system, he maintains earnings of $560,000.

Chief Investment Officer

Earnings: $480,000

Where:Teacher Retirement System, TX

Executive Director

Earnings: $343,608

Where:Citizens Property Insurance Corp., FL (Florida?s public insurance provider)

full slideshow

Prison Dentist

Earnings: $621,971

Where:Avenal State Prison, CA

Base salary was $224,306, "$594,976 was for more than 2 1/2 years worth of unused sick time" right from the article

also the "Prison Dentist" "Timothy Malan earned $621,971 in 2009, although more than half of that was from accrued leave he received in one lump when he left the department. "

While a lot of these guys are getting paid too much the half-post above is misleading read the whole list before you post a comment.

Base salary was $224,306, "$594,976 was for more than 2 1/2 years worth of unused sick time" right from the article

also the "Prison Dentist" "Timothy Malan earned $621,971 in 2009, although more than half of that was from accrued leave he received in one lump when he left the department. "

While a lot of these guys are getting paid too much the half-post above is misleading read the whole list before you post a comment.

base ~230k/year

sick time ~200k/year @ 3 years = ~$600k

$600000 worth of bankable sick days for 3 years is ok? so he gets what? 6 months worth of sick days a year that he can bank?

• Like 2

Chancellor

Earnings: $813,892

Where:University of Texas System

Even with budget cuts, Chancellor Francisco G. Cigarroa hasn?t given up his fat salary. The total cost to employ Cigarroa in 2009 was $813,892, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Yup. What makes this even worse is that his name is on my diploma hanging on my wall.

And soon, his name will be on my second diploma, hanging on my wall.

base ~230k/year

$600000 worth of bankable sick days for 3 years is ok? so he gets what? 6 months worth of sick days a year that he can bank?

Wait... In the US, you get paid sick days, when you're not sick!?

In the UK, sick pay is paid instead of regular pay when you are sick, and not paid at all if you're not sick (because you're getting your regular pay!)... The only accrued extra pay you can get is for unused holiday/vacation days...

• Like 3

True, but at least you have the choice to get fleeced or not.

I dont have the choice to pay taxes :(

Sure you do! You don't have to pay them if you don't want to! OK, you'll go to jail if you don't, but it's still a choice! ;)

base ~230k/year

No, it means that over the course of his career, he accrued 3 years of unused sick time. Could've taken 20 years to do that. He is 67 years old.

http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-fong-lai-3n3t3

True, but at least you have the choice to get fleeced or not.

I dont have the choice to pay taxes :(

Stadiums and arenas are usually paid for with tax increases on the city where they play.

I'm SHOCKED nobody mentioned Teachers!!!!! ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED.

/s

hey around me the average PUBLIC teacher salary is $120k a year and average principal salary is $180k and they are still whining they aren't making enough to "make it by" yet the average salary around me is $35k and how taxes need raised to give themselves raises......

it's always HALARIOUS hearing that from them as they drive Mercadies, and BMW's to work... then knowing where half them live down the road from me in their 4000+ sq ft houses... yeah they are struggling to get by....

as for sick days.... gawd we use them or lose them..... why do some people get to accrue them... and its always public employees that seem to get that... where I am, you get 16 sick days a year, up to 4 of them can be transferred to the next year for a max 20 anything over 20 you get paid out at your daily pay rate.... so you can never store them up

• Like 1

Stadiums and arenas are usually paid for with tax increases on the city where they play.

And that should be a loan only -- paid back to the city with some interest !

hey around me the average PUBLIC teacher salary is $120k a year and average principal salary is $180k and they are still whining they aren't making enough to "make it by" yet the average salary around me is $35k and how taxes need raised to give themselves raises......

it's always HALARIOUS hearing that from them as they drive Mercadies, and BMW's to work... then knowing where half them live down the road from me in their 4000+ sq ft houses... yeah they are struggling to get by....

as for sick days.... gawd we use them or lose them..... why do some people get to accrue them... and its always public employees that seem to get that... where I am, you get 16 sick days a year, up to 4 of them can be transferred to the next year for a max 20 anything over 20 you get paid out at your daily pay rate.... so you can never store them up

If these are hard working qualified teachers, they should be getting paid well. Principals on the other hand.. :\

I know plenty of teachers in my high school who were extremely dedicated, and definitely should've been making more than the $45,000 they make here in Texas (believe it or not, $45,000 is AFTER a raise). I have several friends who teach in high school, and a couple friends who are teaching in state or community colleges. It's an incredibly stressful job.

I'm a big proponent of merit pay. Not all teachers/administrators should be paid 6 figures, but can we all at least agree they should make a livable wage? Add bonuses and increasing pay for teachers who are genuinely good at teaching (and this is hard to find; saw a statistic that most teachers who graduated college are in the bottom 25% of their class :s ).

I know plenty of tenured professors from my alma mater who aren't worth a dime of the 6 figures they're paid.. the system is completely messed up.

As for your comment on sick/vacation days, I think the US ranks near last haha. All of my employers have been very stingy about them. I believe there is a petition going on on the White House website encouraging a federal mandate for a minimum number of sick/vacation days, which I totally support.

And that should be a loan only -- paid back to the city with some interest !

Should be, but it isn't. Cities are competing with other cities, states are competing with other states. To get anything built nowadays requires a tax incentive :\

On the other hand, stadiums do bring a lot of money to the local economy. Sure, the stadium may cost the city $100 million+ initially, but the payout is even greater when you account for out of towners coming in to watch the game, getting a bite to eat, etc.

If these are hard working qualified teachers, they should be getting paid well. Principals on the other hand.. :\

I know plenty of teachers in my high school who were extremely dedicated, and definitely should've been making more than the $45,000 they make here in Texas (believe it or not, $45,000 is AFTER a raise). I have several friends who teach in high school, and a couple friends who are teaching in state or community colleges. It's an incredibly stressful job.

I'm a big proponent of merit pay. Not all teachers/administrators should be paid 6 figures, but can we all at least agree they should make a livable wage? Add bonuses and increasing pay for teachers who are genuinely good at teaching (and this is hard to find; saw a statistic that most teachers who graduated college are in the bottom 25% of their class :s ).

I know plenty of tenured professors from my alma mater who aren't worth a dime of the 6 figures they're paid.. the system is completely messed up.

As for your comment on sick/vacation days, I think the US ranks near last haha. All of my employers have been very stingy about them. I believe there is a petition going on on the White House website encouraging a federal mandate for a minimum number of sick/vacation days, which I totally support.

Should be, but it isn't. Cities are competing with other cities, states are competing with other states. To get anything built nowadays requires a tax incentive :\

On the other hand, stadiums do bring a lot of money to the local economy. Sure, the stadium may cost the city $100 million+ initially, but the payout is even greater when you account for out of towners coming in to watch the game, getting a bite to eat, etc.

a livable wage here is $50k, $100+k is just extortionate, and to be complaining they still are not paid enough is worse... they get on average a 5% a year raise... that is more then most people around here who get maybe at most a 3% "cost of living" raise..... we have teachers complaining, yet the local university profs make a whole $80k a year and they don't say a word... and some of them think they are overpaid

No, it means that over the course of his career, he accrued 3 years of unused sick time. Could've taken 20 years to do that. He is 67 years old.

http://www.healthgra...-fong-lai-3n3t3

ahh makes more sense. but bankable sick days are BS. i dont think anyone in the private sector gets that. bankable sick days are a sign of public money wasted and over-payment.

a livable wage here is $50k, $100+k is just extortionate, and to be complaining they still are not paid enough is worse... they get on average a 5% a year raise... that is more then most people around here who get maybe at most a 3% "cost of living" raise..... we have teachers complaining, yet the local university profs make a whole $80k a year and they don't say a word... and some of them think they are overpaid

Where do your schools rank relative to others in the nation?

As for $80k for the university profs, that sounds about right for entry level pay. At UT Austin, most assistant professors make around $75,000. Getting tenure is where the big bucks roll in.

Prison Doctor

Earnings: $784,596

Where:High Desert State Prison, CA

This prison is located in Susanville, CA, which is basically in the middle of nowhere. I'd want that salary if i was 1. a Dr 2. working in the middle of nowhere, and 3. working at a freaking prison.

Exactly. We have no problems paying sports players/coaches almost ten times more than a teacher.

Also it's Mercedes, not Mercadies.

I'm SHOCKED nobody mentioned Teachers!!!!! ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED.

/s

why are teachers overpaid? American teachers sure the education system there blows but they are still a very much needed profession.

My friends get ****ed off at me cause I make almost 30 an hour to sit in a room and play WoW (im supposed to be I.T lol) but its what the job paid and I took it boohoo to anyone that hates it.