When PC is turned on, fans stay at max speed, no beep, no display

Wrong, most will indeed post with ot without a vid card. Just guessing or wanting something to be true wont make it happen.

Nope, not most. And the ones that do typically are servers. I could go grab a dell off a shelf right now, pull the card, and it won't post. Unless the machine has onboard graphics you're going to have issues getting it to post.

There might be an upset in RAM or RAM slot. Replace the RAM in another slot and try.

Tried that.

As I said earlier in the topic, the system only booted normally when the video card was removed, so it's most likely the culprit - especially considering the two popped capacitors :)

Replaced the capacitors, didn't work. The fans did function normally now, but still no display.

Bought a new AMD Radeon HD5450 PCI Express card, still constantly spinning fans.

I have unplugged everything from the system apart from the PSU, and the fans only stop spinning when the PCI Express port is empty.

I could try a second-hand PCI (non Express) card from eBay, but I don't know if I can be bothered.