Thunderbird OR Postbox ?

Question

OK, so I need an email client that will work on Windows 7 Professional 64bit and also on Windows XP Professional 32bit... for business purposes, I'm maintaining an XP machine which also doubles as my back up machine in case my new Win 7 machine ever goes down,

If I had to jump over to my XP machine, I would need to take my numerous email identities along with their messages over to the XP machine.

Currently, I'm using Windows Live Mail 2011, but on the XP machine I can only use Windows Live Mail 2009 since the 2011 version won't even load on XP since it's a 32bit OS.

So, to keep me life simple... I'm looking at going with Thunderbird or with Postbox (I don't care if it costs a few bucks)...

Do you think both of these programs will work the same on both operating systems even tho one is 64 bit and one is 32 bit?

And, do you think I'd be able to take the email storage folder from on machine and transfer is to the other machine (after all email addr are set up identically the same on each machine) and keep right on rockin?

Just trying to get some ideas about these two progs since I'd imagine some here use these for email.

4 answers to this question

Between those two choices, Thunderbird. Postbox is just a tweaked up version of TBird anyway, and you'll miss out on a lot of the addons that TBird has available. A lot of Postbox's functionality can be replicated for example, never mind a bunch of other features.

As for the data, yea, everything's kept in your profile directory, you can copy it between machines (and operating systems, barring a few addons that are OS specific) or even keep it on a shared location so you don't need to keep copying things.