System behaving strange

So I am almost certain that part of my systems problem is the HDD, but I would like to know for sure. I have been having a rash of system freezes, and BSOD's (the most recent labeled Kernel memory) I am reasonably sure that I am in need of a new PSU also, which I hope to be able to purchase next month. Just the morning I had a BSOD, which stopped at 55% of doing a memory dump to the disk, then upon restart windows would not start, the system simply does a POST, and then windows never starts. I am able to 'fix' this by turning off the PSU for 2-3 mins and then turning it back on. I am really unsure as what else might be causing the issues. I did do a sfc/scannow from safe mode, and it passed. SMART data for the Windows drive does not really show anything abnormal, and if this drive is the issue I can RMA it. My concern is what I should be focusing on. I do have a brand new 1TB laptop sized HDD, which I could use for windows while the drive goes out for RMA, but I really feel that I should replace the PSU prior to installing any new HDD's in the system. Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated!

Have you tried to run memtest86+ on it yet for a couple of passes?

Not yet, but I really do not suspect that the memory is the issue.

I would just go to Wal-Mart and buy one reliable system.

You have more computer problems than 50 other people. :laugh:

:D I would never buy a computer from Wal-Mart!

bad sectors will usually increase, however i would recommend you replacing your drive. Ok you may be happy with the loss of space from the bad sectors but you will suffer performance problems.

For example when you click on my computer windows will scan each drive for space remaining etc.. If your drive is dying then it will take longer to check the drive, this will give the illusion of My Computer locking up, while the controller checks and gets past the errors.

If it was external drive it wouldn't be so much of a problem, however internal it will be a big PITA, you will probably notice your BIOS POST getting longer/will be getting longer as well,

530 is not a small number. Backup and replace the drive.

How Many bad sectors are too many

http://www.neowin.ne...s-are-too-many/

Interesting ....

First of all, virtually every hard drive manufactured has bad sectors on it before it leaves the factory. A utility is run on the hard drive to find all the initial bad sectors and placed in a list. Every sector in the list is then remapped and saved to an area called the ?Permanent Defect List? or PList. It would be far too expensive to manufacturer a hard drive that every sector was perfect. The manufacturers take that into consideration so every drive that is made has a pool of sectors that is used only if a bad sector is found.

Interesting ....

First of all, virtually every hard drive manufactured has bad sectors on it before it leaves the factory. A utility is run on the hard drive to find all the initial bad sectors and placed in a list. Every sector in the list is then remapped and saved to an area called the ?Permanent Defect List? or PList. It would be far too expensive to manufacturer a hard drive that every sector was perfect. The manufacturers take that into consideration so every drive that is made has a pool of sectors that is used only if a bad sector is found.

True. But by the time you start seeing bad sectors t's time to replace the drive.

I agree with warwagon. One or two I wouldnt worry about, any over 10-20 I would be concerned. Triple digits is imminent failure.

I also like to run chkdsk from the cmd prompt so I can see the status and results. Otherwise you have to search the event viewer Application log. Hard Disk Sentinel looks like a good utility.

To answer the OP's question, I would replace the hard drive asap. Why do you think your power supply is bad? Since your system is blue screening, it should be writing a memory dump. Try and analyze the dmp file with windows debugger.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I took the system apart yesterday and blew out the dust.I also discovered that 3 of the SATA cables were cracked at the connection end! I have replaced them with 2 that I had on hand, going to order some more.