Burn-in on PenTile Screen

I don't think you're trolling, it's just good old technical info. :rofl:

Quality of the screen is not the most important factor for me, but it is up there. The reason I would never use an iPhone again is because I just don't like iOS. I'm very pleased with Android 4! My eyes are on the Nexus 4 for a replacement (or whatever Nexus device is new in 10 months time).

Better safe than sorry, I learned the hard way.

Glassed Silver:ios

I don't think you're trolling, it's just good old technical info. :rofl:

Quality of the screen is not the most important factor for me, but it is up there. The reason I would never use an iPhone again is because I just don't like iOS. I'm very pleased with Android 4! My eyes are on the Nexus 4 for a replacement (or whatever Nexus device is new in 10 months time).

Sony phones have more or less the best S-IPS screens atm for android at least. Lumia 920 on WP both have better screens than the iPhone, but they all have great screens

Hell James, It might be dying, but right now is a great time to upgrade. So many great phones are out now, and competitors are actually fighting for your business. You can find them pretty cheap if you look around. S3 and Lumia 920 would be my options if I was you, since you dislike the iOS ( I do as well ) . I haven't used a 920 yet, but the S3 is a power house of a phone for me.

That's the property of OLED screens. Prone to burn-in marks.

I suggest you get an app called Display Tester. It has burn-in repair, and hopefully that can solve your problem.

oh heck I get stuff like that on my S-IPS LCD screens, it's almost like the crystals get stuck... on OLED though you can burn them in like in plasma, and deminish the OLED capabilities (OLED does deteriorate easier)

IPS LCD screens do get those, but not permanent.

OLED is permanent.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I've had a Galaxy Nexus for just over a year now (Just outside of warranty) and I've found that there is some burn-in on the display. A feint qwerty keyboard shows all the time on my screen, and the whole display has a sorta greyish tint to it. I had no idea you could get this problem on LED displays. I thought it was limited to Plasma only.

I now I can't really repair this unless I replace the entire screen, which will probably cost an absolute bomb, but has anybody had this issue before with these types of screens?

My phone uses a HD Super AMOLED with PenTile screen, which I thought was meant to be the most high-end kind of mobile display you could get.

My theory is that the actual phone itself can get quite hot sometimes, and this is the reason why there's burn in. I'm thinking the heat could have scorched the white piece of paper used in the display? Or am I completely on the wrong track here?

I have seen a Samsung Vibrant with screen burnt, not retention. I could see the background image on all screens no matter what I did. Like like a laptop/desktop LCD screen burnt issues can happen on phones. Probably had your screen set to stay on to long??

And like someone else says, my phone has the screen retention issue. Where at times you can see a faint image of the previous screen for a few seconds. But then it goes away. Only see it faintly on light screens and never while playing games. And like i said, only lasts a second or 2 so it really doesnt affect the phone's usage/performance any.

• Like 1

I had a SGSII for a year, never noticed any burnout or retention, and recently got an SGSIII, hopefully i get 1.5-2 years out of it! By then screen tech should hopefully havemoved along a bit more, and that Ubuntu mobile os :D

Hmm I don't know what's going on with my phone but it's decided to electronically fall apart all at once!

First thing I notice is that it acts as i there's something in the headphone jack all the time, so I can't make a call or anything unless I use a headset (can't hear anything from the speakers on the phone).. the speakers are working as notification sounds and ringtones work fine.

Then a bit later on my phone just goes crazy freezing and rebooting itself, and then it finishes up with an unusually long vibrate and flashing LED (looks like some sort of error code but I don't know where you'd find out what it means...),

I've restored my phone to factory settings and all seems well.. for now. But I bet the second I plug in something to the headphone jack the issues will return.

It's ridiculous. But hey, I'm not an angry person. Just par for the course... gadgets aren't made to last. :rofl: Still, it is ridiculous how it's all happening at once. I really shouldn't have accidentally smashed that mirror this morning.

It must be down to the quality of the panel in your phone, because I've not seen any weird issues like that with my own nexus, outside of the slight banding issues I've been seeing since launch day.

It must be down to the quality of the panel in your phone, because I've not seen any weird issues like that with my own nexus, outside of the slight banding issues I've been seeing since launch day.

*sigh*

No it's an actual problem with every OLED display. they are organic, every time you light up an oled pixel, it dies a little bit.