PS4 and Xbox 720 could be delayed by AMD Amkor chip production postponement

Serves them right for using the inferior GPU producer.

APU. and pretty much the only highend APU producer, nvidia only makes GPU's, and intel makes crap APU's.

I really think you guys should drop the term "core gaming" altogether. It's a stupid term of which no one can agree upon for anything.

I do agree with the fact that Nintendo has always felt like the console that's lacked choice though. My friends and I have only ever purchased the console for the Nintendo games, and when they're not being played, they pretty much sit and collect dust. The Wii for example only gets turned on for Brawl, or maybe Mario Party. There's nothing wrong with all-ages sort of games, but I want to play Dark Souls and the like too.

I think it all started with the N64 that had extremely few RPGs for one thing (Ogre Battle 64, Aidyn Chronicles, and Quest64 were probably the only ones?). They at least had a decent controller for FPS games though, which made games like Doom64, Turok, Goldeneye and such great. Then they seemed to lose that as well, where by the GameCube, Metroid was the only memorable experience for me. Once again, going back to the reliance on first-party Nintendo titles to sort of carry the console.

Basically, I just want to be able to play Nintendo games, without any sort of limitation to what else the console can do. The Wii U might be a step up, but right now, I'm waiting to see what MS and Sony do because I don't want to have another console that's not gonna get the latest and greatest games again.

As for the next versions of the Sony and MS consoles, well... I'm game for either team. I think it's just a matter of seeing what each will be able to do. Hopefully, there's a release in 2013 so that neither PC or console gaming is getting the short end of the stick.

why are they core games and not Mario U ?

Even if we sidestep that entire debate, the biggest issue is that the Wii U is lacking choice - that includes both casual and core games. Most multi-platform releases are passing on the Wii U, while the exclusives aren't strong enough to warrant the cost of buying into a new console - particularly not when Microsoft and Sony are going to be releasing much more powerful consoles shortly. It won't appeal to people who already own the X360 or the PS3, unless they have a lot of disposable income.

As I said, I don't consider a delay for the X720 or PS3 to be a significant advantage for the Wii U. The current generation of consoles - and that includes the Wii U - are incredibly dated in terms of hardware and visuals and people are waiting for the next big thing. Unreal Engine 4 won't run on the Wii U and if UE3 is anything to go by then it's likely to be one of the most widely used engines. Nintendo needs to really push the unique tablet angle and it's not doing that with half-baked ports that use the tablet as a gimmick - it needs exclusive games, regardless of whether they target the casual market.

After news about Piston, I'm more interested in what Valve can put out against the competition.

Sony is enough desperate shape to throw everything they have at the Orbis.

Has the source of the delay been confirmed?

Piston... a 1000 dollar high end gaming computer being held back by Linux and integrated graphics...

Valve isn't even in this game. MS and Sony at least have a game plan, it's still unfortunate for Sony that they have to pay extra this gen because they where late last time.

As for the delay, event he delay isn't confirmed yet, it's just a rumor that there could be a delay.

this delay, if true, is only bad news for the wii U as it will give sony and MS time to refine their upcoming console vs. the wii U. though at this point, i'm wondering if they still consider nintendo competition.

Piston... a 1000 dollar high end gaming computer being held back by Linux and integrated graphics...

Valve isn't even in this game. MS and Sony at least have a game plan, it's still unfortunate for Sony that they have to pay extra this gen because they where late last time.

As for the delay, event he delay isn't confirmed yet, it's just a rumor that there could be a delay.

Man you're such a downer, I'm so glad the industry doesn't follow your claims of being held back from Linux.

Have you heard of royalties, good sir?

Microsoft would want a slice if Valve decided to put some form of Windows CE onto that Piston of theirs.

sometimes a license is worth it.

in either case, linux isn't the main problem here, price and the hardware is. and for linux case, it better not be an nvidia card, unfortunately for gamers it better be an nvidia card, bit of a paradox. The hardware design isn't that good either and not something that would look good or fit in under the TV

I some how doubt it. For all we know, AMD did that because of the PS4/Xbox Next (i.e. they are focusing on producing those chips for the consoles first, they'll hardly admit it since neither console are announced yet). Considering both consoles are late, MS/Sony will be pulling all stops to ensure they launch at some point this year, that is my guess. Take with a grain of salt.

sometimes a license is worth it.

in either case, linux isn't the main problem here, price and the hardware is. and for linux case, it better not be an nvidia card, unfortunately for gamers it better be an nvidia card, bit of a paradox. The hardware design isn't that good either and not something that would look good or fit in under the TV

AMD 7 Series cards run better than most nvidia cards on Linux which is why Piston is fusion based. But at least you're aware of the situation with Nvidia because everybody is stuck with them, at least Gabe pushed them into writing better proprietary drivers.

The Wii U has a big disadvantage for winning 'gamers'. It's weaker than the Xbox and PS3 and it's online features are limited in comparison with the Xbox 360. So far I've yet to see an exclusive game or exclusive feature to lure me over.

I really doubt the next Xbox will use a amd x86 cpu. The gpu will probably be another custom amd gpu like the 360 has but I think that's as far as it'll go.

the thing is, by this point we're most likely less than a year from release, and there's not been a rumor about anything else than AMD APU's (well there was the arm thing, but that got replaced with AMD), at this point, if there was going to be another technology used, we would have had rumors about it on either the xbox or PS4. but the only rumors we keep getting is more on the AMD APU...

it's 95% sure to be an AMD APU

Definitely, I am not going to buy Xbox 720 as soon as it hits shelves.As any other MS product, they will release somehow buggy thing @ the beginning.Moreover, I will wait untill price drops alittel bit and titles specific for it and also untill I buy a 3D screen.