F1 World Championship 2013 Thread

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the Constructor's Championship?

• Infiniti Red Bull Racing
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
    • Lotus F1 Team
    • Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Williams F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Caterham F1 Team
    • Marrusia F1 Team
  2. 2. Which driver will win the World Driver's Championship

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Mark Webber
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Felipe Massa
    • Jenson Button
    • Sergio Perez
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Hulkenberg
    • Esteban Gutierrez
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Paul Di Resta
    • Pastor Maldonado
    • Valtteri Bottas
    • Jean-Eric Vergne
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Charles Pic
    • Giedo Van Der Garde
    • Jules Bianchi
    • Max Chilton

If we put 2006 Schumacher in it would have been interesting. 2010 Schumacher just didn't seem to have the same magic touch, I still believe Rosberg or Hamilton would have beaten him, admittedly speculation.

Great race. The pit lane incident was pretty shocking, as was the previously flaming car that rolled down into oncoming traffic. Other than that it there was a lot of proper racing, which made a nice change. Tyres didn't feature so heavily for once.

Great race. The pit lane incident was pretty shocking, as was the previously flaming car that rolled down into oncoming traffic. Other than that it there was a lot of proper racing, which made a nice change. Tyres didn't feature so heavily for once.

Agreed, great race to watch. Poor Webber robbed again. I have no doubt he would have been on podium without that stupid incident. Would have liked to have seen Kimi take the win home; unfortunately it wasn't to be :(

Red Bull and Force India have been fined for releasing their drivers from the pits in an unsafe fashion during the German Grand Prix.

Red Bull?s error was deemed the most serious and the team were fined ?30,000 (?25,830) for letting Mark Webber go before his right-rear wheel had been properly secured.

The wheel came off the car and struck cameraman Paul Allen who was taken to hospital.

Force India were also punished for releasing Paul di Resta into the path of Jean-Eric Vergne during the race. The Silverstone based team were handed a ?5,000 (?4,305) fine.

Formula-1---The-Official-F1-Website---Li

Man of the race: Kimi R?ikk?nen

Reject of the race: Felipe Massa

Massa's car was stuck in 5th gear, the crash was not his fault. I'd say the reject(s) of the race are the Red Bull pit crew.

• Like 1

BIG step forward to the 4th title for vettel. he could now again DNF in a race no matter what the others do and still enjoying a lead. if he can increase that gap to 2 or 3 races it's basically over :) 

Massa's car was stuck in 5th gear, the crash was not his fault. I'd say the reject(s) of the race are the Red Bull pit crew.

Wouldn't Bianchi be the reject. He forgot to put the handbrake on! :laugh:

Although his car rolling down the hill did bring out the safety car which saved this race from being total rubbish.

Although his car rolling down the hill did bring out the safety car which saved this race from being total rubbish.

I think the handbrake would be the least of your worries when your car's on fire! :P

I definitely agree with Javik. The Red Bull pit crew are the rejects for that botched Webber pitstop; more specifically the jack men who let him go when the right-rear tyre wasn't even secured.

I was under the understanding that the cars were meant to engage Neutral automatically once they came to a stop and if that doesn't happen there's the "N" Button on the chassis for the marshals to do it, problem was because the car was parked in a dodgy place they understandably didn't want to go anywhere near it.

TV crews to work from pit wall after Germany accident

TV camera crews are to be stationed on the Formula One pit wall in future after a cameraman was injured by a bouncing wheel in Sunday's German Grand Prix.

The edict comes from the F1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone after the cameraman Paul Allen was treated in Koblenz hospital after sustaining a broken collarbone and two broken ribs.

The incident occurred early in the race at the N?rburgring, with Allen struck by a wheel that had worked loose from Mark Webber's Red Bull as the Australian pulled out of his pit box.

The wheel initially bounced past several startled mechanics in the Ferrari, Lotus and Mercedes pit crews before thudding into an unaware Allen.

Current rules allow up to six camera crews supplied by Formula One Management unlimited pitlane access during qualifying and the race. In addition, six photographers are allowed to take photographs from the pit wall.

From the Hungarian Grand Prix onwards, in just under three weeks' time, those photographers will be joined by the camera crews.

Ecclestone said: "I've been in close contact with everybody who has been dealing with the matter. It's a terrible thing to say, but it was just one of those things.

"There was a whole bunch of mechanics and the tyre could have hit any one of those guys. The cameraman just happened to be looking the wrong way at the wrong time. In future, all our camera crews will only be allowed to film from the pit wall."

After the incident the team principals Christian Horner and Ross Brawn advocated the use of safety equipment for all those working in the pitlane.

From next year it will be mandatory for all team personnel working on a car in a pit stop to wear head protection, prompting the suggestion others should follow suit.

Brawn of Mercedes said: "On the basis of what we have seen we should be thinking that all people in the pitlane are properly dressed and equipped. Everyone in the pitlane should have a helmet on. It is certainly worth reviewing the whole thing."

Red Bull's Christian Horner, whose team were fined ?30,000 (?26,800) for an unsafe release, is of the same mind as Brawn.

"Mechanics have to wear safety gear and helmets, and maybe it's time some of the other operational people in the pitlane have some safety equipment as well," he said.

It is something the FIA and Ecclestone may look into. "If the camera guys are on the pit wall, then that's normally higher than the track," said Ecclestone. "Of course, the same thing could still happen in the end. In reality a wheel could come off and bounce down the pit lane."

@MightyJordan: I'm not sure it was necessarily the jack guy's fault (why does everyone hate on Jack?). The guys on the wheel knew it wasn't attached and they didn't give the hand-over-wheel "done" gesture for that tyre. Red Bull use a traffic light system for the driver to stop/go so the reject of the race would be whoever caused the light to go green even though the mechanics hadn't indicated that they were finished.

Massive disclaimer: I have no idea how exactly their traffic lights function, so it may be that one of the mechanics is responsible for pushing a button to say the tyre is ready, IDK.

I'm kind of unsure as to how I rate the 30k euro fine for it - on the one hand it's extremely dangerous and a cameraman was seriously injured (potentially could have been killed) by it. On the other hand, at some point you have to just say "well, ---- happens" because it is a bit of a freak accident, and not the kind of thing which crops up very often at all. I think I probably still come down on the "the fine wasn't enough, 30k euros is nothing to them" side of it. Add another zero to the figure, and give the camera guy a good chunk of it as danger money.

Edit: I was replying to your previous post, you just happened to post an extremely relative post while I was writing this one ^_^

Ferrari had problems with that traffic light setup in 2008, the FIA moving to keep TV personnel from the pit lane is an obvious move, I believe they should outlaw the traffic lights as well as they still seem to be a bit of a concern.

Ferrari had problems with that traffic light setup in 2008, the FIA moving to keep TV personnel from the pit lane is an obvious move, I believe they should outlaw the traffic lights as well as they still seem to be a bit of a concern.

What would they replace it with though? They brought in the traffic lights to replace the lollipop man due to safety concerns.

I was under the understanding that it was done by the teams that use it for the sake of increasing speed, I didn't realise the FIA had mandated the use of traffic lights? Could you clarify

What would they replace it with though? They brought in the traffic lights to replace the lollipop man due to safety concerns.

A robot.

I was under the understanding that it was done by the teams that use it for the sake of increasing speed, I didn't realise the FIA had mandated the use of traffic lights? Could you clarify

Whoops, never mind, my mistake. I looked around and found nothing; guess it was just a natural change that passed me by. :P

Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with a light on the drivers sheering wheel when the safety pins have been engaged on the wheels the light changes to green. While these pins are out a gear can not be selected.

It's physically possible for the systems to think the wheel is in place when the nut hasn't been tightened correctly, I think that's the issue all the teams that currently use the traffic light system have, any automated system would have to be capable of telling when all of the nuts are properly tightened.

The FIA plans to bring forward the implementation of new rules designed to improve safety in the pit lane following the incident in the German Grand Prix.

The rules, which were scheduled to be introduced in 2014, will come into force in time for the next race once approval has been gained from the World Motor Sport Council.

The changes will require all team personnel to wear head protection and reduce the maximum speed limit in the pits to 80kph (49.7mph) except at Melbourne, Monaco and Singapore where a lower limit is already enforced.

The FIA will also only allow approved media to work on the pit wall.

The sport?s governing body added it is ?expecting a written report from Red Bull Racing tomorrow?. The team have already been fined ?30,000 (?25,830) for Sunday?s incident which saw Mark Webber?s right-rear wheel detach following his pit stop and strike a cameraman, who was hospitalised.

Red Bull were previously fined ?5,000 after a wheel came off Webber?s car during a pit stop at the Chinese Grand Prix.

A humourous guide to F1 teams...

tumblr_mppsdq2NG51r8kneko1_1280.jpg

So according to this i dont make up my own opinions. Great... :-$ :-P

Your picture isn't loading for me. :(

Hmm, that's unusual. Loading up fine for me and macstar, it seems. I've just uploaded to Imgur, so see if it loads for you there: http://imgur.com/bjHbG5v

So according to this i dont make up my own opinions. Great... :-$ :-P

And according to it, I should be supporting either Sauber or Force India (I'm indifferent about bright colours on a shirt). :P

• 2 weeks later...