Ubuntu For Phones

This is already on the front page. I want to see it come to the nexus 7!

Aw just saw it, damn you Larry *shake fist* :D Yup, would love to dualboot this on Samsung galaxy S2 & S3 hardware :)

Hands On Usage of Ubuntu on Phones - Nexus support coming in following weeks!

http://youtu.be/kXWnMTm7We8

• Like 2

Aw just saw it, damn you Larry *shake fist* :D Yup, would love to dualboot this on Samsung galaxy S2 & S3 hardware :)

Hands On Usage of Ubuntu on Phones - Nexus support coming in following weeks!

I've had a bad habit of reposing too lately. :D The phone is so sexy. If this hits the consumer market, I'll buy one on release day.

I've had a bad habit of reposing too lately. :D The phone is so sexy. If this hits the consumer market, I'll buy one on release day.

don't tempt me now! :shifty: (oh waits, me broke) :laugh:

That looks really nice. Anyone any ideas as to how this will work ? Will it just be a ROM that you flash or will it be a little more complex than that .... driver problems etc ?

Im sure the "stock " Ubuntu will be buttery, but can you imagine an AOKP ( Yes I know what it means and has nothing to do with Ubuntu) type ROM and this mixed up, would be mind blowing IMO. Maybe some of that coolness will get ported both ways.

Has Ubuntu already got a market place ,Or will that be in development as well ?

Will be keeping an eye on XDA for sure.

Looks utterly ridiculous with those icons on the side there. Good luck putting a dent in the mobile phone market...

However, I can see them competing with the likes of Microsoft, at least. Too bad that isn't saying much.

I'd love to boot it from Sony Xperia Sola, if possible. Can't wait to see it

I am a huge Android user, but this looks amazing. I think I want it!

What exactly is your BMI? ;)

I watched the video a couple hours back, it said something along the lines of "If your device can run Android, then it can run Ubuntu" due to drivers

So does that mean that my Transformer will get an Ubuntu build ? Or that they will release something similar to VMWare for Droid ?

Will be interesting to see how it runs on older devices like my Galaxy S2. Have to admit it doesn't look all that bad but I guess the quality of it's apps will be the main decider (although so far my personal experience with web apps has been a bit hit and miss).

Looks utterly ridiculous with those icons on the side there. Good luck putting a dent in the mobile phone market...

However, I can see them competing with the likes of Microsoft, at least. Too bad that isn't saying much.

I don't see what looks ridiculous about it.

I see this bringing linux front and center. is this the first flavor of linux to go phone?

Depends if you count android as a linux flavor. There was also meego, but nokia ditched it for WP8 it before it ever really had a chance.

I don't see what looks ridiculous about it.

The dock on the side there. I am all for minimalism, but on my phone I want quick and easy access to my applications. There is a variety of applications I use on a daily basis, and the dock can only display so many without having to open another menu.

The dock on the side there. I am all for minimalism, but on my phone I want quick and easy access to my applications. There is a variety of applications I use on a daily basis, and the dock can only display so many without having to open another menu.

1. The dock is easily scrollable as shown in the video.

2. The dock is just for pinning the most used apps, there is still a home screen available...

Here?s how the UI works:
  • Instead of a lock screen, you wake the device to a welcome screen that shows you a stunning visualization of useful information such as the number of messages and tweets waiting for you, the distance you have walked, the time you have talked on the phone, and much more. All this information evolves as you keep on using your device.
  • Instead of providing you with app icons, tiles or widgets, the home screen shows you your most frequently used content including most used apps, most contacted people, and most played media.
  • A short swipe from the left edge brings up a bar of apps while a long swipe shows you all the currently running apps. Being accessible from anywhere across the OS, these gestures make app launching and switching super-fast.
  • Similarly, swiping from the right edge switches to the previously used app. This works in chronological order for all the apps you use, making app switching a breeze.
  • Swiping downwards from the top bar performs different actions depending on the icon in the notification bar you swipe down from. For instance, swiping down on the speaker icon brings up the volume controls, while doing the same on the message icon shows you all your messages, also allowing you to reply to them instantly from right there., rather than having to tap a notification and launch the app. This works not only for messages but also for tweets, email, Facebook interactions and phone calls.
  • As mentioned above, there are no system-wide controls other than gestures, hence there are no universal buttons. However, swiping up from the bottom edge reveals the control bar for in-app actions whenever required.
  • Global search feature will let you quickly access apps as well as content relevant to the current context from anywhere in the OS as well as online results.
  • Similarly, there will be fully integrated voice as well as text command support at both system and app level.

XDA

I wonder how the application support will be for this OS? It looks to be a fantastic OS to use but I fear the (probable) lack of apps will let it down.

I wonder how the application support will be for this OS? It looks to be a fantastic OS to use but I fear the (probable) lack of apps will let it down.

its Backed by Canonical.

Honestly the workflow of it seems pretty bad to me, the four corners thing dosn't work very well with the large sizes of todays phones.

The side bar seems like a terrible idea in reality, and reminds me of early Nokia and Samsung phones. The very ones everyone slaughtered. And the one screen seems like a terrible re implementation of microsofts idea, except... Terrible.

It looks like annoys designed by geeks who sat around thinking up cool ideas and made it into a phone OS with no consideration for phone OS usability.

its Backed by Canonical.

That doesn't really mean anything.

1. The dock is easily scrollable as shown in the video.

2. The dock is just for pinning the most used apps, there is still a home screen available...

This could seriously prove that Linux is a serious OS for most needs and environments