Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
COKid

Switzerland gunman kills three in Daillon

30 posts in this topic

Switzerland gunman kills three in Daillon

A gunman has opened fire in a village in Switzerland, killing three people and wounding two others, Swiss police say.

The attack late on Wednesday happened in the southern village of Daillon in Valais canton, around 100km (60 miles) east of Geneva.

Several people were reportedly lying in the street after shots were fired.

Swiss broadcaster RTS said police later arrested a suspect who was shot and wounded after he had threatened them.

"Three victims died at the scene," said Valais police. "Two other people were wounded and hospitalised."

Police did not name the arrested man, whom witnesses identified to local media as a 30-year-old Daillon resident.

The gunman was armed with an assault rifle and was thought to have been drinking heavily, Swiss website 20minutes.ch reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18773158

I know the temptation is going to be rife, but remember, there is a place to discuss Gun Control, this is not that place.

Here it is for anyone so inclined to discuss the matter - The Big Gun Control Debate

2 people like this

i

I know the temptation is going to be rife, but remember, there is a place to discuss Gun Control, this is not that place.

Here it is for anyone so inclined to discuss the matter - The Big Gun Control Debate

no. Here is the place to laugh and point out the fallacy of gun control

Haha. Your gun control not only didn't work but it happened somewhere that's not America.

1 person likes this

Haha. Your gun control not only didn't work but it happened somewhere that's not America.

What Gun control? There are lots of Guns there.

"Gun attacks are rare in Switzerland, but shooting is a very popular sport in the country and the level of gun ownership is high.

There are an estimated two to three million guns in circulation, although no-one knows the exact number because there is no national firearms register.

In addition to the semi-automatic assault rifle that all those serving in the army store at home, there are thousands of hunting rifles and pistols.

Most towns and villages having a shooting club that meets for target practice at least once a week."

It said that in the article that the OP posted as the source, you did read it right?

Edited by McKay
1 person likes this

i

HAHAHAHA, republican who dosent know anything about the rest of the world. Switzerland has liberal gun ownership. A two second search would have prevented you from looking quite silly. I cant wait till Obama takes away your selfish little toys. You clearly care more about your guns than those children or all the many other Americans that have been slaughtered. SELFISH!!!

1 person likes this

HAHAHAHA, republican who dosent know anything about the rest of the world. Switzerland has liberal gun ownership. A two second search would have prevented you from looking quite silly. I cant wait till Obama takes away your selfish little toys. You clearly care more about your guns than those children or all the many other Americans that have been slaughtered. SELFISH!!!

Being selfish is my highest aspiration. It's the true aspiration of all free and independent people. I know you mean to use the word as an insult. I consider it to be the highest compliment. It means that I truly value my life and my own self worth and don't bother myself with the concerns of others whom I have no business caring about to begin with.

Thank You.

Being selfish is my highest aspiration. It's the true aspiration of all free and independent people. I know you mean to use the word as an insult. I consider it to be the highest compliment. It means that I truly value my life and my own self worth and don't bother myself with the concerns of others whom I have no business caring about to begin with.

Thank You.

This attitude is why i'm ashamed I ever called myself a Republican. I hope someday you'll come around.

This attitude is why i'm ashamed I ever called myself a Republican. I hope someday you'll come around.

This speech is long winded. It changed my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1muMkbMypA

It's the basis of conservative thought. It's the secret that I always denied up until a few years ago.

So over there they don't call it "mass shooting" eh ..

So over there they don't call it "mass shooting" eh ..

no. of course not. It's only a term used to shame americans.

According to the FBI, there needs to be 4 or more victims for it to be classed as a mass murder. There are no written guidelines to dictate what a mass shooting is.

If you where going to apply it to any shooting with 3 victims, you'd have a LOT of mass shootings in America, be glad we don't apply it to any shooting with more than one victim.

Thank You.

Thank god you're not a politician or anyone that could inspire the public.

Thank god you're not a politician or anyone that could inspire the public.

Please politicians are at the highest of highs when it comes to selfishness. They do not care what the people want, they only care how much money they get for a vote.

i

Hows it feel to jump the gun and look like an idiot?

4 people like this

I wish the U.S was more like switzerland in regards to firearms. I could use free ammo from the government and sponsored competitions. I'd be in heaven.

I wish the U.S was more like switzerland in regards to firearms. I could use free ammo from the government and sponsored competitions. I'd be in heaven.

move

1 person likes this

move

Nah, dont want the mandatory military service.

Im done with American Republicans in my life. Thank Darwin(in place of god) I live in Australia!!! You will be the end of your great empire. Arrogance and failure have been synonymous throughout history.

3 people like this

Im done with American Republicans in my life. Thank Darwin(in place of god) I live in Australia!!! You will be the end of your great empire. Arrogance and failure have been synonymous throughout history.

as opposed to Australia that never succeeded at all.

PARIS - As much as many Americans, the Swiss love their guns, seeing them as integral to their national traditions of self-reliance, independence and international neutrality, with a trained and equipped citizen-army capable of deterring any foolish invader.

Many Swiss, after serving in the army, keep their service weapons at home, and the country has no national register for firearms.

Only two years ago, the Swiss handily rejected restrictions on gun ownership in a national referendum.

Those views are unlikely to change soon, even after a mentally imbalanced man shot and killed three women and wounded two men in the southern Swiss village of Daillon on Wednesday evening. The gunman, who was known to the authorities but not thought to be dangerous, was wounded by the police as they arrested him.

The gunman, 33, who was not named, had been placed in a psychiatric ward in 2005, when guns he then owned were taken from him and destroyed, according to Swiss police in the canton of Valais, about 60 miles east of Geneva. It is not known how he got the firearms he used in the killings -- including a hunting gun and a Swiss army carbine in use in the first half of the last century, a regional public prosecutor told a news conference -- but guns are easily available in Switzerland.

According to villagers who spoke to local news agencies, the gunman was unemployed, on welfare, getting psychiatric care and a ward of the court.

Around 9 p.m. Wednesday, he began firing from his apartment toward passersby in the street and neighboring buildings before coming outside and continuing to fire as many as 20 shots. He had been drinking heavily, some villagers told the Swiss website 20minutes.ch.

The gunman killed three Daillon women, ages 72, 54 and 32. All were shot at least twice, in the head and chest. The two injured men were 63 and 33; one is in critical condition.

The youngest woman killed was married to the younger wounded man, and they had young children, the prosecutor said.

There are said to be at least 2.3 million weapons among a Swiss population of less than 8 million people. Gun clubs and hunting are popular.

Swiss men required to do national service often take their army rifles, now semiautomatic assault rifles, home with them, to be ready for some future invader.

Source: http://www.startribu...82.html?refer=y

Remember kids: "Guns don't kill people". :/

as opposed to Australia that never succeeded at all.

Ooh, ouch. :rolleyes:

You fit the description of what is wrong with our world atm.

**** you Jack, as long as I'm alright. Disgusting.

Ooh, ouch. :rolleyes:

You fit the description of what is wrong with our world atm.

**** you Jack, as long as I'm alright. Disgusting.

no. The morality that I attempt to hold myself up to is highest morality. I owe you nothing and I demand nothing of you. I demand only to keep the fruits of my labors and to be let alone. It is the morality of forced charity that is morality of death and societal destruction. I do not respect "the public good" as any reason for any of my labors. I work for myself only and that of my family. If your family starves that is your failing, not mine. The morality of sacrifice destroys wealth which is necessary to creation so your morality can only be assumed to be that of destruction. Many of us have gone Galt, and many more will before the end.

no. The morality that I attempt to hold myself up to is highest morality. I owe you nothing and I demand nothing of you. I demand only to keep the fruits of my labors and to be let alone. It is the morality of forced charity that is morality of death and societal destruction. I do not respect "the public good" as any reason for any of my labors. I work for myself only and that of my family. If your family starves that is your failing, not mine. The morality of sacrifice destroys wealth which is necessary to creation so your morality can only be assumed to be that of destruction. Many of us have gone Galt, and many more will before the end.

Wow a statement and a contradiction in following sentences, well done.

As long as you live that lie you call a morality, well. I suppose you won't require help from anybody at all during your life. Sure hope you never suffer from something beyond your control then, as nobody will want to help you out.

1 person likes this

Wow a statement and a contradiction in following sentences, well done.

As long as you live that lie you call a morality, well. I suppose you won't require help from anybody at all during your life. Sure hope you never suffer from something beyond your control then, as nobody will want to help you out.

that statement demands nothing from you.. it's simply a statement that I owe you nothing.... that is unless you actually believe that you are owed something from me or you believe that I have something of yours in my possession.