Neowin Digital Gallery - Yearly Edition 2013

Quoted for notification purposes... Off topic, is there anway to "notify" a user in IPB that he was mentioned in the forums? sorta like twitter?(Though I do see how this can be abused... Just food for thought anyway...)

I deserve that. :lol: I browser the forums when I have time, but just never noticed the photography forum (maybe because it's called "Camera?")

I had some where the face was lit, but that took away from the creepiness of the shot, so I didn't use those. Here's the complete set on Flickr:

Can't browse flickr at work, ( Though they block directly, but not hotlinking, dimwits...) I'll check it out later.

@ chase Maybe that could be an idea brought up. The digital gallery used to be monthly and got voted to yearly? Perhaps a more suitable name than "digital camera lab" could be found? "Photography forum" Neo-Photography :p, Photograhy bits. Anyway 2 cents.

Quoted for notification purposes... Off topic, is there anway to "notify" a user in IPB that he was mentioned in the forums? sorta like twitter?(Though I do see how this can be abused... Just food for thought anyway...)

Can't browse flickr at work, ( Though they block directly, but not hotlinking, dimwits...) I'll check it out later.

@ chase Maybe that could be an idea brought up. The digital gallery used to be monthly and got voted to yearly? Perhaps a more suitable name than "digital camera lab" could be found? "Photography forum" Neo-Photography :p, Photograhy bits. Anyway 2 cents.

I'm working on the whole idea of a monthly competition, hopefully I'll get it set up soon ready for March :)

To me that is way overboard with HDR. The purpose is to blend a well exposed sky with a well exposed foreground.

You can tell when it's over done when everything has an unrealistic halo around it.

Not really a fan, sorry.

No reason to be sorry, the point was to play with it, and many others have said they loved it. ;)

Actually had many request for a printable versions of the pics, which is a new.

thanks for your opinion though.

Here is one "done right", which you may appreciate.

Yes, but what's the point of creating unrealistic photos? That's my opinion on it, like you said, probably other people will like, I agree with chase on this one. The second stop sign looks a lot better HDR wise, composition wise, it's lacking, you need to stop putting your subjects dead center, see how the pole of the stop sign loses "perspective" in regards with the fence? Play around a bit consider the 10 seconds rule ( Before pressing the shutter, takes 10 seconds to compose: http://lightism.co.uk/10secondrule/

I actually got job offers over these photos, and im not asking to be criticized. or asked questions about why "i did it wrong".

Thanks though, i will no longer post pictures here. We're supposed to be sharing pictures. Not explaining to others why we did what they thing is wrong.

I never replied to any of your pictures and asked you negative questions.

Toodles.

Dude, it's constructive critism! no harm meant! That is the point of the forum, to have healthy discussion. Whatever works for you, doesn't work for me and viceversa! Which what this discussion brought, chase pointed out he didn't like it and you rebutted by manner of saying other people do like it! take a chill pill!

You should try posting on dpreview... they will make you crazy!

• Like 1

Its unsolicited. Enjoy yourself. I won't be posting any more of my work here ;) Apparently none of you understand art, and i could care less to explain it. Like i said, these pictures received many positive reviews, and also some job offers, That's enough to tell me i'm right.

Wait? Art isn't criticized ?! It's the other way around! That's the reason Art Critics exist!

again, take a chill pill!!! Whatever works for you, doesn't work for me and viceversa! Which what this discussion brought, chase pointed out he didn't like it and you rebutted by manner of saying other people do like it! Which is just fine and dandy!

• Like 1

edit: check this out: There's a challenge on dpreview on "overdone" HDR! http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=4037 This just proves your point! Different strokes for different folks!

So You're one of those weird people that goto art museums and bitch about everything? No i rebutted with one done right (in his ooinion), to show that i do know what HDR is, and these were done for fun, and created a cool effect. Then you started going on about positioning of stop signs. It doesn't matter, discussions is over , or you can talk with your buddies about how horrible i am at positioning stop signs. i'm done :D

Dude? wow... Seriosly? it's MY opinion, why should MY opinion bother you that much? On how -- I -- like certain things... damn... Forget about it.

Blank, I agree with Guppy on this one. We share the photos, tips, suggestions, etc.. on this forum which the discussions is for.

If you do not believe about any comments from us or photos sites, then why don't you build your new own art gallery somewhere... you will be realized that people look at your photos and leave you "Too much HDR", or any said suggestions like "you need external flash for that" instead of "great job!" comments. See how you feel about that you have 4 "great job" comments and 246 said suggestions to improve your photo at your art gallery then you will realize that Guppy is right.

I started taking photos since 2009 which I got the camera... I learned from my brother and these people on this forum. Including other sites and the books I have here.

Be friendly and learn. That way you can learn from us and you will have better photos next time.

I posted a photo of camaro on here while back and I was told that the colors were spot on.. I was like "Yes!" lol.. Best comment so far.

All I have to say on the matter is that even though some may appreciate the over-done HDR, I would say take it to a critique thread over on /r/Photocritique and see what happens.

At the end of the day, the purpose of this thread is for you and I to share our photos and our passion for photography. If someone sees something that might need improving (in their eyes), then they have every right to comment on it. If you feel that it's okay, then you're free to reply saying 'It appears all right on my end, and people have said they like it.' But acknowledge their critique as well.

We're here to help each other improve our technique, and that's what this thread is for.

OK, so I am not a photographer of any note. But looking at the picture I posted below and based on just the image, as I wont tell what equipment I used(yet), what advice on taking this type of image.

post-56742-0-22922600-1361999139.jpg

• Like 1

I just found this place! How's this for a first submission? I only have access to the low-res version from work, but it was taken with two external flashes setup for rim lighting, fired wirelessly with a Pocket Wizard. I didn't do the makeup. :)

Looks interesting but has an odd mix of hard and soft light.

Redwood Shores Lagoon

8513271661_e3fc88ab2d_z.jpg

A lagoon in the residential Redwood Shores area. San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA.

Date Taken: 2013-02-10 10:07:56

Camera Make: SONY

Camera Model: SLT-A65V

Lens: 11-16mm F2.8

Focal Length: 11 mm

Mode: Manual

Aperture: f/6.3

Exposure Time: 0.004 sec (1/250)

ISO: 100

• Like 2

Been caught up with work lately ( rant: boss ridiculously pressures me...). Photos either taken with iphone 4 or 4s ( Still at work, but I wanted to contribute to the thread one way or another... "Blank" would be suprised how I give my opinion on photos, yet acknowledge that for whatever reason I like, these photos below, are amazing for me ;) I like specially how the blur works for the white over exposed nincompooch in the dSLR lcd, the over exposure is caused by the iPhone, on the dSLR it was exposed properly)

Fun has never been cheaper! An empty toilet paper roll for Phobos to play with:

8f5230b251f15332ea0c6c4c9279a2db.JPG

Vishnu:

b109a2becb662ce4272b79a134e1cd79.JPG

Phobos:

ade467dd7b3684ae1da9a90a0d2f0d23.JPG

ok now you're just showing off!

When is he not ? :shifty:

just some random photography that ive done in the one year that i've been doing this :p

Corny heart around vase is corny :p

OK, so I am not a photographer of any note. But looking at the picture I posted below and based on just the image, as I wont tell what equipment I used(yet), what advice on taking this type of image. post-56742-0-22922600-1361999139.jpg

I'm a sucker for dog photos! My only advice ( That I myself don't take if you look at my above post) is wake her up for the photo! Though she looks pleasantly asleep :p

Bench by the Water

8518045160_8f08574e3e_z.jpg

A bench in a park next to a lagoon in the residential Redwood Shores area. San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA.

Date Taken: 2013-02-10 10:13:43

Camera Make: SONY

Camera Model: SLT-A65V

Lens: DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA

Focal Length: 24 mm

Mode: Manual

Aperture: f/6.3

Exposure Time: 0.004 sec (1/250)

ISO: 100

Crazy arse coworker catches scorpions, tarantulas, snakes as if he were playing with legos or whatever... Shame our company doesn't see how his talent is useful and sends him to get proper training.. ( Edit: me in teh background cooking Chilaquiles ! )

8521101431_81cb19b45f_b.jpg

Happiness hasn't come in a cheaper way! Used toiled paper rolls!

8521101307_9c8b3b6d3a_b.jpg

Exposing and autofocus with white fur is hard...

8522213302_f1238c2729_b.jpg

8522213148_3f36dc966f_b.jpg

8522213092_c1715b14bb_b.jpg

Zombie sleep mode on:

8522213042_c50ee395d7_b.jpg

Must make sure tongue is out whilst sleeping!

8521101029_f2a108d364_b.jpg

Crazy arse coworker catches scorpions, tarantulas, snakes as if he were playing with legos or whatever... Shame our company doesn't see how his talent is useful and sends him to get proper training.. ( Edit: me in teh background cooking Chilaquiles ! )

Uh... what exactly does your company do...?

Shot a wedding in Finland this weekend, got some cool pics amidst everything else :D

8530409980_ee002a2f93_c.jpg

Aurora AND Shooting star! by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

8529296927_4da117d5fd_b.jpg

Aurora @ Saariselk?, FInland 2 by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

8529297109_51bd3e1ca4_b.jpg

Aurora @ Saariselk?, FInland 3 by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

8530419319_dcf76941e1_b.jpg

The man running Hotel Kakslauttanen, Finland. by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

A26A8124.jpg

A26A8536-Edit.jpg

• Like 2