MKV DTS to AC3

Question

Guys, I need some help here. Please read through the entire post, don't recommend something I've already tried, thanks.

I'm looking for a clean software that converts DTS audio in an MKV file to AC3 for me. I've already tried MKV2AC3, so don't recommend that. The issue I'm having with it is that it also causes audio lag in the videos. After about 10-15 minutes of video in some files, the audio gets delayed by 2 seconds. :huh:

I know there's a 3-step-process involved using 3 separate EXE's, but I don't want to go through that each time I want to convert a video, since I do this a lot (almost twice a day) and I don't want to have to go through that every day two times, too tedious. I know there are one click solutions, similar to MKV2AC3, but some that will not cause a time lag in audio please, lol.

The other one I'm trying it Wondershare Video converter, but there doesn't seem to be an option to JUST convert the audio, you have to convert the entire video in that, takes a bit of time and I think it also reduces video quality.

Let me know if anyone has anything to recommend. :)

17 answers to this question

So let me get this correct, you want to convert DTS to Dolby Digital (AC3) that is already in a file?

I am not sure that is a wise choice, and might not be possible. On another note though, you might want to try converting the DTS to multi-AAC, as this might give you the results you may need.

mmitch, it's a requirement. My TV can't play DTS audio, need to convert to AC3 or another readable format.

yxz, thanks for that. I'm using that process right now, seems to be taking a bit of time, and the audio for AC3 is default at 448kbps, any way I can max it out to 640kbps that I know AC3 supports? Also, the conversion stopped, threw up an error about invalid EBF tag. :/

Popcorn is the same as MKV2AC3, Mayhem.

I have never had any delays with popcorn and I have converted 30+ files with it

Popcorn also lets you convert to 640kpbs

Maybe its something else with your setup

Alright, I just figured that this is problem something that's happening as a result of a damaged file, and ffmpeg confirmed that for me.

Thanks for the tip yxz, I think I'm going to try and use your tip for this.

Also, shouldn't it be ffmpeg.exe -i input.mkv -vn -sn -acodec ac3 -b:a 640k output.mkv? instead of ffmpeg.exe -i input.mkv -vn -sn -acodec ac3 -b:a 640k output.ac3?

So if I want it to be a 640kbps video, it's ffmpeg.exe -i input.mkv -vn -sn -acodec ac3 -b:a 640k output.mkv yeah?

updated:

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mkv -sn -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -b:a 640k output.mkv

also this

http://ffmpeg.org/ff...tml#Stream-copy

Stream copy is a mode selected by supplying the copy parameter to the ?-codec? option. It makes ffmpeg omit the decoding and encoding step for the specified stream, so it does only demuxing and muxing.

Since there is no decoding or encoding, it is very fast and there is no quality loss. However it might not work in some cases because of many factors.

If you ever want to do that sort of stuff with a GUI you can always try Avidemux: http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/screenshots.html

I use it to remove audio tracks I don't need and transcode the audio to AAC (for my phone). I've tried a lot of tools but this is the only one that can do it properly (without touching the video stream for example).