Battlefield 3 on 3 screens; Eyefinity. Is it worth it?

madd-hatter

Does anyone here have any positive experiences with a 3 screen eyefinity set up?

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/Pages/eyefinity.aspx

I'm not worried about the power/performance aspect. I'm more wondering if the investment in another 2 identical screens would pay off in a memorable way or is it more of a gimmick?

I'm using a 24" monitor, too big?

Davo

I've heard nothing but headaches when it comes to Eyefinity. I was recommended a GeForce GTX 650 and it works awesome.

Lingwo

About as useful as using three screens for gaming. Personally it is just a way to say "look i have money to burn". :laugh:

Unless it allows you to customize each screen then i don't see the point to multi-monitor gaming. Supreme Commander if i remember correctly, that allowed you to use a big map for the second monitor.

McKay

The bezels would just distract me..

• Like 1
Jason S.

i'd say you'd be wasting your money. BF3 looks great, but isnt a very memorable game. i might not even play it again even though i enjoyed my run-through. That being said, you're better off getting a card that can max out the settings in the game. That's where the game really shines.

• Like 1
Zimmyantz

Ditto

Astra.Xtreme

This. The bezels would make it feel too unnatural and it creates an extra ~4 inches of dead space.

madd-hatter

BF3 looks great, but isnt a very memorable game.

you're better off getting a card that can max out the settings in the game.

I've had some very memorable moments but I play with a group of RL friends on TS. Maxing the settings isn't an issue.

The bezels

Then where is the 3x extra wide monitor with 48:9 resolution?

Is it possible to make a, say 46", display a 48:9 res with black bars?

According to AMD's website; the center screen, in an eyefinity setup, is the same display as playing on a single screen. The right and left monitors add that much more to the peripheral viewing, which I find to be a great advantage.

Slammers

i'd say you'd be wasting your money. BF3 looks great, but isnt a very memorable game. i might not even play it again even though i enjoyed my run-through. That being said, you're better off getting a card that can max out the settings in the game. That's where the game really shines.

Erm. You must be talking about single player. BF3 is one of the most memorable games out. Why anyone would ever play even half the campaign is beyond me. Load it back up and jump into multiplayer. Youll invest over 100 hours easy.

• Like 1
Mathachew

Zing!

Jason S.

Erm. You must be talking about single player. BF3 is one of the most memorable games out. Why anyone would ever play even half the campaign is beyond me. Load it back up and jump into multiplayer. Youll invest over 100 hours easy.

i liked the single player. it's just not something i'm clamoring to play over and over. i dont do multiplayer. too much time and you never beat it!

The Laughing Man

Been using 3 monitors since 05, bezels were never a problem for me. You just need a powerful card to take advantages of high resolutions/settings to make the most of it. 7970 does it for me.

StrikedOut

Tried BF3 multiplayer and I prefer Planetside 2.

Agree about the bezels though, 2 big black lines running down through your game would definitely annoy me.

madd-hatter

But how can the bezels be that much of an issue if the center screen remains identical whether or not it's solo or with 2 others...?

Your focus would not change.

The left and right screens act as peripheral enhancements allowing you to spot important items/enemies sooner.

It seems to me, unless I am missing something, that a 3 screen set-up is a obvious and big advantage.

+Gary7

That looks fantastic. I only use one 22 inch.

Slammers

i liked the single player. it's just not something i'm clamoring to play over and over. i dont do multiplayer. too much time and you never beat it!

I beat opposing teams every night in BF3? You could also level up fully and unlock all weapons, mods and assignments - this I suppose could count as "beating" the game although I'm not too familiar with the term I play for fun - even singleplayer games I will usually play 50% of them and then move on because I get bored.

Those screens look great, I would try it out but I only have 2 montiors :laugh: You can imagine how bad that would be for a fps.....

madd-hatter

As someone with 3 screens, I can tell you that after about 30 secs you never notice the bezels. For an overview of what bf3 looks like have a look here.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/battlefield-3

Thank you. This is a helpful link.

I think I'm going to have to give it a try.

• 1 month later...
Alladaskill17

The single-player was the most slapped together part. BATTLEFIELD is multiplayer, that's what it originally started out as, without any single player; iirc.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LoneWolfSL
      EA gives a glimpse at upcoming next-gen games from DICE, BioWare, and others
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

While most of EA's announcements during its digital show today were about games and events that are coming soon - except the new Skate -, the publisher also released a short video regarding the next-gen ventures that are happening inside its studios.

Glimpses at games that are under development at DICE, BioWare, Criterion, and EA Motive for the next generation of consoles can be seen in the tech teaser, with EA chief studio officer Laura Miele adding that "Our studios are taking their crazy ambitious ideas and making them real."

DICE's snippet shows off a "battlefield" with seemingly hundreds of soldiers as well as a highly realistic face model, probably from the next Battlefield entry it is currently working on. Meanwhile, the dark fantasy shots from the BioWare teaser is most likely from the next Dragon Age title that has been in development for several years now.

The Criterion teaser showed off some impressive looking cars from the next Need for Speed and pointed out the massively improved loading times players will experience on the next generation consoles. Finally, EA Motive seems to be working on an open-world third-person title set in a city where players can dynamically affect the environment.

Though EA didn't give any release windows for any of these projects, it's clear at least some of them are pretty far in their development. It wouldn't be a shock if at least a couple of them, like the new Battlefield and Need for Speed games, get 2021 release dates later on for PC, Xbox Series X, and PlayStation 5.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Five Battlefield games, Star Wars Battlefront II, Mass Effect 3, and more hit Steam
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

EA pushed out 13 of its games onto Steam last week as the first wave of transfers from its own Origin platform, and now, it is time for the second (massive) wave. Today, the two remaining Mass Effect games, five Battlefield entries, and the rebooted Battlefront titles that all skipped out on Steam releases have landed on the Valve platform.

Here are the nine games that landed today:

Mass Effect 3 Mass Effect: Andromeda Battlefield 3 Battlefield 4 Battlefield Hardline Battlefield 1 Battlefield V Star Wars Battlefront Star Wars Battlefront II Just as before, all of these games have discounts applied that slash the prices by either 50% or 75%. All of them seem to be complete editions too, thus including previously released expansions (if any). As usual, cross-play capabilities are enabled between Origin and Steam, so all the multiplayer games that arrived today should receive a nice bump to the active player numbers.

EA Access is also coming to Steam very soon, though a release date hasn't been announced yet. We should see more information about the subscription service's upcoming launch, as well as more EA-published games that are coming to Steam, during the EA Play Live presentation on June 18.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Battlefront II development also winding down as DICE moves to a new Battlefield project
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

The DICE-developed shooter Star Wars Battlefront II is about to receive a content drop tomorrow, and it will be the game's final major update. Following over two years of delivering free post-launch updates, DICE has said its vision for Battlefront II is now complete. The EA-owned studio will be moving on to a new project, which has now been confirmed to be a Battlefield game slated for launch in 2021.

The confirmation arrived through a statement provided by EA to IGN, where it said that "Longer term, the studio is focused on the future of Battlefield that we’ll be bringing to players in 2021." No hints have been given as to what sort of a setting will next year's Battlefield herald, leaving open the possibility for a future-set title or even another sequel to the popular Bad Company series.

Today's announcement arrives only days after a similar message from DICE revealed Battlefield V's development is being wrapped up with a final update that's slated for June.

Head to the new blog post by DICE Creative Director Dennis Brännvall to get details on what is incoming to Battlefront II with this final content update, dubbed The Battle on Scarif. In-game challenges and events will continue to arrive following the update, but just like it is planned for Battlefield V, Battlefront II will then be put in maintenance mode.

EA is currently running discounts for Star Wars Battlefront II across PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 platforms, dropping the price by 60% for the next couple of days. It's also unclear if this is one of the games EA plans to bring over to Steam as part of its venture that began last year, but has gone silent since then.

• By Usama Jawad96
      EA responds to criticism regarding censoring words like 'lag' in Battlefield V beta
      by Usama Jawad

Since its reveal back in May, Battlefield V has been subject to criticism on various fronts including the high-octane gameplay uncharacteristic of the actual World War II and the portrayal of women on the front lines, among others.

Now, the upcoming title has come under fire for censoring seemingly harmless words in its beta release, which was made available a couple of days ago.

Forbes reports that the open beta for Battlefield V has a rather strict filter in the in-game chat, which bans seemingly harmless words like "DLC", "lag", "laggy", "Titanfall", and "defend". Interestingly, you can still use variations of these words like "free DLC" without being censored. It also restricts players from using words that can be used in an offensive manner but are absolutely fine when used in context like "Nazi", "Jews", "white man", and "nuts", among others.

It's unclear as to why such a ludicrous filter was applied in the first place but EA Community Manager Jeff Braddock has responded to the criticism surrounding it as follows:

Since the game is slated to release on November 20, one would hope that EA improves its profanity filter, which - in its current state - prevents any meaningful conversation from taking place. Apart from this, the open beta for Battlefield V is also facing criticism for its sub-par performance in some locations, and some placeholder art assets, but that will hopefully change when the title is released in a couple of months.

Source: EA via Forbes

• By Usama Jawad96
      Battlefield V executive: Female characters are here to stay
      by Usama Jawad

A couple of days ago, EA showed off its upcoming World War II-shooter, Battlefield V, in a reveal trailer. While the aforementioned video offered a glimpse at some fantastical gameplay, one thing in particular drew the ire of many viewers around the globe: the depiction of women on frontlines.

Tens of thousands of people have apparently taken offense to this "historical inaccuracy" portrayed in the game, and taken to various social media platforms to voice their concerns. However, an executive from Battlefield V developer, DICE, has stated that female characters in games are here to stay.

In a string of tweets, DICE General Manager Oskar Gabrielson noted that:

While some people appear to have responded positively to Gabrielson's tweets, others have fired back saying that if Battlefield V really is about player choice, they should be given the option to disable all sorts of customization.

As the feud between the group of people who are arguing the historical inaccuracies of Battlefield V and the game's developers rages on, one has to wonder how it'll affect the sales of the title, which is scheduled for a release on October 19.