Video game genres you simply don't like?

Just wondering what genres generally turn people off? For me? I've never been much into fighting games or military FPS.

Halo 4 reguvinated FPS for me, Black ops 2 was a turn off

As for genre, I don't like the dance/fake guitar shovelware games I'm seeing. I use to like those games when I saw them hooked to Japanese DDR machines but for home use, nah.

I really dislike playing fighting games, but I enjoy watching other people play them especially at tournaments. I can appreciate the dedication it takes to be good at them at a competitive level.

MORPGs or whatever they're called. where you just do the same crap over and over to collect EXP and level up.

Repetitive.

Also games like THE SIMs really bore me.

MMOs do seem to just soak up people's time.

Sports and wrestling. I can deal with a hundred final fantasy games, they are all unique in the storylines and characters. I can only deal with the same NFL players and a few new draft picks so many times. What are we on now like Madden 400?

That's an interesting question because I never think about the genres I dislike. And now that I thought of it, only three come to mind: sports, rhythm/music games (like Just Dance and Dance Dance Revolution), and MMORPGs.

I used to enjoy playing sports games as a kid but I grew out of it as I started playing other genres like first-person shooters and RTS games. Playing rhythm/music games is fun at first but I get bored of it pretty quickly. The longest I've enjoyed a game from that genre is 10 minutes. And only because I was competing against a friend.

As for MMORPGs, I can't stand the repetitive nature of games like World of Warcraft or Guild Wars. I find it extremely boring to complete a similar task over and over again. It feels like I'm wasting my time only to get a minimal amount of experience and/or gold. I prefer story-driven RPGs like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2 that don't require you to complete mundane tasks (even if the story kinda sucks, as was the case with Torchlight 2).

MMO's, as as above, nothing new despite buying most of the popular ones. I must admit though, I really had a good feeling when playing WoW for the first time on release and for about a year. Just a shame it was a one-off experience, just disappointed with every game since. Feels like I'm working when I play them now, not having fun :)

I generally like sports games, they just don't hold the appeal (used to love the arcade ones!). I'm quite happy to play the management sims though.

Music games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Singstar, etc.), sport games (Fifa 4330, Pro Evo, Football Manager 1217, etc.) and hack and slash games (Devil May Cry, God of War, etc.). I don't find them fun in the slightest. An exception to the sports games genre is driving games, though. Gran Turismo, Burnout, those games are fun.

Zombie games. That seems to be its own genre now, and I am frankly so sick of it. I never liked it to begin with, and thought it die quickly, but was I wrong.

Also, racing. I love Forza... the buying my car and speccing it out is fun. But I never race them. The simulation aspect is fun, not the actual purpose of the game. :p

Racing isn't a sport, which is why it is its own genre. A very boring one at that.

Interactive Learning Games

Anything else I can pretty much play, except

The most boring game ever made...... "Dessert Bus"

http://desertbus-game.org/

Desert Bus was a minigame included in the unreleased 1995 video game "Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors". Click here to go to the Smoke and Mirrors Wikipedia page. Here is an excerpt regarding Desert Bus:

The objective of the game is to drive a bus from Tucson, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada in real time at a maximum speed of 45mph. The feat requires 8 hours of continuous play to complete, since the game cannot be paused.

The bus contains no passengers, and there is no scenery or other traffic on the road. The bus veers to the right slightly; as a result, it is impossible to tape down a button to go do something else and have the game end properly. If the bus veers off the road it will stall and be towed back to Tucson, also in real time. If the player makes it to Las Vegas, they will score exactly one point. The player then gets the option to make the return trip to Tucson?for another point (a decision they must make in a few seconds or the game ends). Players may continue to make trips and score points as long as their endurance holds out. Some players who have completed the trip have also noted that, although the scenery never changes, a bug splats on the windscreen about five hours through the first trip, and on the return trip the light does fade, with differences at dusk, and later a pitch black road where the player is guided only with headlights.

Penn Jillette commented in his radio show that the overly realistic nature of the game was in response to Janet Reno and the controversy surrounding violent video games at the time.

If you asked me this question and gave me ten seconds to answer, I would have said that I hate sports games. But, that said - I don't actually dislike playing them, unless I just can't stand the game itself. I do dislike how they're repackaged every year, though.

I like racing games - I don't think they're boring at all. I think sometimes they're just not fun (Dirt3), but they can be really good (NFS Shift).

Like most everyone here, I like FPSs and RTSs. I'm no good competitively, but that doesn't matter :)

Well, I love every genre of gaming. Especially RPG's and FPS's such as Mass Effect 3 and whatnot. So, basically I love every genre.

I dislike sports games (except racing games), JRPGs, most turn-based games, fighting games, and am beginning to get really tired of FPS games.

Unlike most in this thread, I love MMOs. Sure, the mechanics in most are based on grinding for more experience, but that's why you play them with other people - to make that time go by faster by chatting, talking, doing silly stuff while grinding, etc. Playing an MMO solo is very boring, but even if you have just 1 friend to come along, it's a whole different experience.

i really dont like games that dont have an ending - sports games, MMOs, multiplayer. in my case, i like to beat a game and move on to the next.

i also dont like tower defense games.