Men with assault rifles walk through Portland, 'educate' public

It sure sounds like the public needs educated, since they plainly don't know the law.

What does the law have to do with it? No one said it was illegal. They didn't feel safe with two 22 year old idiots walking around with rifles out. Maybe the nation is ready to change the law? Or maybe in America, it's scary that two 22 year olds have nothing better to do. Or maybe they fit the profile of a nut job in public with a gun.

It isn't just about the law. If these dudes keep acting crazy, the laws will change. Clearly, they have poor judgment and can't control themselves, just the type that doesn't need a gun regardless of the law.

• Like 3

I'm glad I live in a country where ridiculous behaviour like this is illegal. I'd be just as concerned about somebody walking around with a knife or samurai sword and the UK also has laws preventing such behaviour. The US is becoming more and more extreme politically and idiots like this are going to become much more common. This comes not long after a mayor supported armed posses patrolling schools, many of which have criminal records. It's insanity.

• Like 3

It's all about the law. We are a nation of laws, or at least we once were.

No it's not. No one is questioning the law. And no one called the police because a law was broken. They called the police because they were in fear living in a civilized society. You said the public needed to be educated about the law, I say it's not about the law because that is not why they called the police. And just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should; if you have good judgment, you know that. Those without good judgment, don't need assault rifles. And if we need to change the law, let the government and the people change it.

The sooner we change the law the better. Until it's changed, these nut jobs with nothing better to do than terrorize productive citizens will just keep getting more antisocial.

• Like 2

Winter/cold weather I have a jacket on. An during the warm weather it looks very odd and I take notice to more people looking at the visible big bulge under my shirt.

sounds like extreme insecurity to me. (not joking, serious)

The sooner we change the law the better. Until it's changed, these nut jobs with nothing better to do than terrorize productive citizens will just keep getting more antisocial.

This. The US has the highest level of firearms fatalities in the western world and people are rightly concerned when they see idiots like this walking around with assault rifles to make a political statement. There is simply no excuse for such behaviour in a modern, civilised society. Then again, everybody has come to expect this sort of nonsense from the US - the sensible, moderate people have been sidelined by extremists.

• Like 1

What's the big deal I don't get it. If they think it's scary to see people carrying semi auto rifles then they'd freak out at the thought that many people conceal carry firearms.

No it's not. No one is questioning the law. And no one called the police because a law was broken. They called the police because they were in fear living in a civilized society. You said the public needed to be educated about the law, I say it's not about the law because that is not why they called the police.

I grew up in the redneck part of the South. Seeing guns in public ain't that big a deal. The reason these people got excited is because the people there haven't been exercising their rights and carrying guns. That may be about to change.

Strange... according to anti gun nuts, this should have resulted in a shoot out in the street. This story must be a fake.

If you don't actually want to discuss the topic please choose a different thread. This doesn't contribute anything at all.

Then the public needs to educate themselves better about what is a legal act and what is not, so that they dont call 911 for no reason.

Those that called to report these guys need to be charged with unlawful use of the 911 services, its for reporting emergencies, not to spam dial because you are scared.

I see the media still doesnt know what an "Assault rifle" is and still tries to label AR-15's as such, idiots.

Quick, tell me how to differentiate between a 22-year old walking around exercising his 2nd Amendment right, and a 22-year old sociopath walking down the street getting ready to shoot up a playground.

• Like 9

This. The US has the highest level of firearms fatalities in the western world and people are rightly concerned when they see idiots like this walking around with assault rifles to make a political statement. There is simply no excuse for such behaviour in a modern, civilised society. Then again, everybody has come to expect this sort of nonsense from the US - the sensible, moderate people have been sidelined by extremists.

Why are they idiots? They didn't do anything wrong and me personally wouldn't have batted an eye at them.You may not be accustomed to seeing firearms but that doesn't make them idiots.

I'm glad I live in a country where ridiculous behaviour like this is illegal. I'd be just as concerned about somebody walking around with a knife or samurai sword and the UK also has laws preventing such behaviour. The US is becoming more and more extreme politically and idiots like this are going to become much more common. This comes not long after a mayor supported armed posses patrolling schools, many of which have criminal records. It's insanity.

Same here.

America: where it's illegal to drive above the posted speed limit but you can openly walk around carrying a gun, which can kill people in an instant.

I think we really need to clear up a few misconceptions here.

I'm always seeing people say that guns are banned in the UK. Its not true. You can have a air rifle without any license whats so ever, you can carry that around in the street too. For high powered air-rifles, yes you do need a license... but but they're only air rifles right...

what about real guns? Well, A guns a gun, get over it. As for what is banned and illegal in the UK... Handguns and semi and fully automatic guns are banned for public use, you can't buy them and even authorised people from the state have a hard time getting a license for handguns.

You can still own, and walk the streets with say a shot gun, or a even a section 5 'prohibited' firearms weapon such as the commonly refered to AR-15. The price of that is ?50 for your license with a cheaper renewal fee.

You don't even need to pay for a license to have and use explosives in the UK, thats free. It's not illegal, nor unlawful to walk the streets with your weapon either.

The problem we do have is other laws that are general to the UK, such as breach and rights to live in peice, you're not allowed to shock, intemadate or offend people. Guns pretty much do all that for most people. And of course misconceptions in the UK means that our 'rights' are taken away from us and abused by law makers. It's not just guns but becomming more popular with people who think things such as photography is illegal in many cases, such as at schools or taking pictures of shops from a public road, or that TV licesne everyone says you HAVE to pay. All crap... don't even get me started on police officers who don't know the law.

know your rights, don't be a victim

EDIT: http://content.met.police.uk/Site/firearmslicensing buy a license in the UK for a gun.

LOL!!!! I would not have been worried at all. Were the rifles hung over their shoulder? If so then I wouldn't have given a single ****. If they were low and ready I would have cared.

So you openly admit that 2 armed men (that are strangers) approaching your position with your family doesn't make you at least question their intention? I call bullsh*t, everyone in the world cares about their families safety even if just precautionary. I call you a lair sir.

Yeah YOU wouldn't.

Just like you you don't understand the 2A or that people have the right to defend themselves or that you don't understand the U.S culture and would rather turn your nose up at us.

I think we really need to clear up a few misconceptions here.

I'm always seeing people say that guns are banned in the UK. Its not true. You can have a air rifle without any license whats so ever, you can carry that around in the street too. For high powered air-rifles, yes you do need a license... but but they're only air rifles right...

what about real guns? Well, A guns a gun, get over it. As for what is banned and illegal in the UK... Handguns and semi and fully automatic guns are banned for public use, you can't buy them and even authorised people from the state have a hard time getting a license for handguns.

You can still own, and walk the streets with say a shot gun, or a even a section 5 'prohibited' firearms weapon such as the commonly refered to AR-15. The price of that is ?50 for your license with a cheaper renewal fee.

You don't even need to pay for a license to have and use explosives in the UK, thats free. It's not illegal, nor unlawful to walk the streets with your weapon either.

The problem we do have is other laws that are general to the UK, such as breach and rights to live in peice, you're not allowed to shock, intemadate or offend people. Guns pretty much do all that for most people. And of course misconceptions in the UK means that our 'rights' are taken away from us and abused by law makers. It's not just guns but becomming more popular with people who think things such as photography is illegal in many cases, such as at schools or taking pictures of shops from a public road, or that TV licesne everyone says you HAVE to pay. All crap... don't even get me started on police officers who don't know the law.

know your rights, don't be a victim

EDIT: http://content.met.p...rearmslicensing buy a license in the UK for a gun.

I have no misconceptions about the law here. You need a certificate to own a shotgun, and like you said if you walked the streets with a weapon you would be guilty of an offence under the Public Order Act.

Air weapons are deemed not to be specially dangerous hence why they're not banned. They could kill in the right circumstances but it's very unlikely. I've been shot in the face with a BB gun from about 10 feet away and it just left a red mark.

Is it just me or does anyone else see the extreme double hypocrisy? From every response from a gun owner, they have all said they are not scared of seeing a stranger with a gun. But yet they carry a gun to protect themselves from what they are scared of? If you aren't scared of a person that is openly carrying or concealed carry, they what are you exactly carrying for?

• Like 3

Just like you you don't understand the 2A or that people have the right to defend themselves or that you don't understand the U.S culture and would rather turn your nose up at us.

I understand that people have the right to defend themselves, I just don't see why you need a gun to do that. Billions of people around the world live to a ripe old age without ever possessing a firearm. Why makes America so special that you all need guns?

It's a failed society where guns are needed for self-defence.

Is it just me or does anyone else see the extreme double hypocrisy? From every response from a gun owner, they have all said they are not scared of seeing a stranger with a gun. But yet they carry a gun to protect themselves from what they are scared of? If you aren't scared of a person that is openly carrying or concealed carry, they what are you exactly scared of?

Difference between an organized group of people and 1 random guy walking with a gun at the ready.

Is it just me or does anyone else see the extreme double hypocrisy? From every response from a gun owner, they have all said they are not scared of seeing a stranger with a gun. But yet they carry a gun to protect themselves from what they are scared of? If you aren't scared of a person that is openly carrying or concealed carry, they what are you exactly carrying for?

They're trying too hard to pass this off as normal, when it's actually completely abnormal.

I understand that people have the right to defend themselves, I just don't see why you need a gun to do that. Billions of people around the world live to a ripe old age without ever possessing a firearm. Why makes America so special that you all need guns?

It's a failed society where guns are needed for self-defence.

Well if that's what you think then you can stay in the U.K Don't bother visiting either.

Difference between an organized group of people and 1 random guy walking with a gun at the ready.

So you walk around the corner and see a guy holding a gun.. it would take you a second or two to process whether it's a single guy or an organised group. Do you reach for your gun? If so you could be shot dead. If you don't, you could be shot dead. Lose lose.

Walking around carrying them in the open is retarded.

Well if that's what you think then you can stay in the U.K Don't bother visiting either.

I wouldn't visit the US in a million years. Your laws make no sense.

Or join the Military and you don't even need a license :rofl: Me and some friends at work looked up Queens Regulations for the Armed Forces and it waives the need for a firearms license. The only condition is you store your weapon in the Armoury if you're keeping it on the base.

I wouldn't visit the US in a million years. Your laws make no sense.

You're cutting yourself off from a magnificent country then for that sake, I've been to America twice in the last 2 years and intend to go again this year.